Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice snake though im not a fan of cross breeding.

i think there great, i want one i want one, so yes they are a crime amount nature, but so are half the poeple in the world, and we cant sent them off to some god forsaken place can we ?????

Someone mentioned cross breeding dogs, that is generally bad for the dogs as those who cross breed are doing it for the money and do not carry out genetic testing, not to mention bone structures usually differ greatly.

I will not ever support cross breeding dogs and will give anyone who does it a mouthful. I do not respect it and I would drop friends instantly if they did it.

????? Think about what your saying? How do you think poodles came about as a breed? They didn't occur naturally in the wild.

Labradoodles are a dog filled with genetic flaws. It is irresonsible to breed them and just as irresponsible to buy them. If you buy them imo you are responsible for the suffering of hundreds of dogs which pump out these designer mutts. I find the act repulsive.

Go onto any true dog website and try and tell them designer dogs (crosses) are a good idea.

Yeah I agree. The reason for most of these health problems and defects occurring in Purebred dogs is due to inbreeding allowed to occur by (us) humans. It’s a long cycle in most breeds to create a Purebred line of dogs and without going into too much detail, in most cases this was brought about by a lot of inbreeding. But by repeatedly breeding the best looking animal with it’s offspring and creating better looking animals with a greater frequency, not only are you getting the good looks being passed on to all the further generations of the line, but also the health problems contained within this dog at the time due to the aforementioned inbreeding and these problems will be further magnified by continuing to keep the bloodline of these animals as “pure”.
So basically: a) the animal will have it’s own, sometimes unique health problem and/or defect and b) this health defect can not be bred out of the breed as this would break the Purebred line (therefore you’re basically breeding an animal with health problems and defects to and animal with health related problems and defects and making these problems worse essentially). For example Labradors are very prone to hip and skin problems, Jack Russell’s have a high degree of joint and eye related problems and Cocker Spaniels are prone to hip and ear infections which can become quite severe.
What a lot of people fail to realise is that cross-breeding species is basically a means to overcoming the health related problems of Purebred dogs as not only will a cross “clean” the bloodlines so to speak of the particular breeds, but it also negates the particular health problems related to the particular species. A Labrador bred with a Poodle for example is much less like to experience hip joint and skin problems than a Purebred Labrador.
Therefore I think you could argue that cross-breeding in dogs is actually beneficial and should not be compared to the situations occurring in snakes at all. “Mongrel” dogs have less health problems, they’re able to breed and like previously mentioned, did not occur naturally where as snakes do obviously. The only reason people want Purebred dogs is for looks, personality and basically the degree with which the looks and personality of the dog can be guaranteed to the owner. Here we have two types of different animals – Dogs, a domestic animal and Snakes, a non-domestic animal. You just can’t compare the two.

I take great offense to this post.

Cross breeding does NOT 'clean' the blood lines of pure dogs. Selective breeding and genetic testing does.

Both a labrador and a poodle is prone to HP, how will crossing two dogs prone to the same issue help it?

The reason people want a purebred dog is for looks, a GAURANTEED personality, a HEALTH GAURANTEE (All reigstered purebred breeders MUST take back dogs if the owner can not keep them) and the GAURANTEE that they have been genetically tested and the test relevent to the dog carried out (like in labs, testing of the hips).

A crossbred dog will not have a gauranteed personality/temperment and you have no idea how it'll behave, how its coat will grow, whether it will be a decent dog for a family, whether it will be obedient.

Cross breeding in dogs is not beneficial and I find you trying to justify it disturbing, but let me guess, you either own a cross bred mutt or you breed them. I am involved in dog rescue and I have NEVER seen a purebred papered dog (If the dog lacks papers, it isn't pure).

I take great offense to this post.

Cross breeding does NOT 'clean' the blood lines of pure dogs. Selective breeding and genetic testing does.

I don't think you understand his post. When he refers to 'cleaning' a blood line, he is referring to diluting the gene pool with new genes to lower the frequency that the genes responsible for defects occur. As a result the chances your dog will have of developing unfavourable traits that were unintentionally line bred into the gene pool will be lowered.

It is basically putting back some of those genes that breeders have selected out in the past because they didn't like them.

It is simple probability . Also I doubt too many breeders spend the money on genetic testing to ensure their breeding dogs don't pass on unfavourable inheritable conditions, and I doubt, but do not know as a fact, that the genes or sets of genes that cause some of these traits have actually been isolated and/or recognised, allowing for them to be screened for.

Also I apologise for continuing the 'off-topicness' of this thread :)

Those snakes should be euthanased, it is not there fault but the should not be available for commercial gain and a fine should be imposed to the breeder, we sholuld not be hybridising different species like this.

Not in it for the money.........earns a living !!!!...........:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Jeez i havent laughed that much since my mum slammed her tit in the car door !

Not in it for the money.........earns a living !!!!...........:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Jeez i havent laughed that much since my mum slammed her tit in the car door !

No picture no proof :lol::lol::lol:

Please let it be sterile.

To be declared a distinct species in zoology, a species must not be able to produce fertile offspring with another species - ie a hinny or a mule. However given the discussion I have seen on this forum about interbreeding between species, I am not sure how well this rule holds up?

(Botanists work differently, the special boundaries are a little more blurred than that)

I think it's a wonderful looking snake, and I wonder what it looks like now (three years later).

I'm probably going to be internet-flayed, but I have absolutely no problem with hybridising/intergrading, because it's where herp-culture is going to go. It'll be the same things with the dogs. The "pure" lines will start to have problems due to inbreeding, and eventually people won't be able to catch snakes from the wild to freshen up these "pure" lines.

Anyway, how can someone GUARANTEE their snake is pure? There is natural intergrading between snakes (most noteably, diamond x coastal crosses), and if someone was to capture one of these snakes from the wild and sell it to a breeder as "pure", then that goes that entire line. Who knows what all of your snakes are. It practically common knowledge that all four of the Antaresia species have been bred together. One of my friend's spotted looks EXACTLY like a stimsons, and he got it from a well known (one with positive remarks) breeder that SWORE it was a spotted. My point is that you can never be absolutely sure.

Hybridising/intergrading is another one of those emotional debates, like religion, cloning and stem-cell research. People are always going to have different point of views, and others are just going to have to accept this and get over it.

Notechistiger... i was actually going to reply to your post...But then (Luckily) i realised only a fool argues with an idiot :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back