Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I think the difference between dogs and snakes, is that man has already modified dogs to the point where most of them are absolutely nothing like their original natural form ....

A much better response then I expected. Those problems you describe also happen quite often in the purebred dogs. According to some vets it is actually more common that purebreds suffer from weak heart/lungs, and have those hip problems over a mixed blood dog. You are correct in as far as a dingo never normally breeding with a wolf, but if the resulting dog has no physical abnormalities and is totally healthy then why should it be a problem? At the end of the day is it that important what blood your animal has so long as it is healthy and a great pet?

never really cared for hybrids but after seeing some of the various mixes I'm actually starting to like them......... Do agree it's wrong but sooner or later it is gona happen....... For a start, there is a guy in AU who is already mixing his albino with every single form of Morelia pythons and u will be seeing the results soon...........

Well I think that having a snake like that is nearly as bad as breeding labradoodles, beagadoodles etc etc. Why not keep them pure??? That is really bad taste stuff in my book. Cheers Cheryl

????? Think about what your saying? How do you think poodles came about as a breed? They didn't occur naturally in the wild.

I don’t really have enough experience to comment on the snake. But do all you people not agree with cross breeding anything at all? For example look at the dog world you have all sorts of crosses. Rotty x boxer, lab x retriever, staffy x ridgeback (which happens to be my favourite cross) my ignorance will probably spark a debate but I just wanna ask. Crossing a dog doesn’t lead to anything that will cause the dogs life to be led in any way different to a pure, is it the same scenario with snakes? If so and crossing 2 breeds of snakes cause nothing more then an ugly/great looking pattern then why bother getting upset?

Don’t bag me out for being ignorant, if it is a different story with snakes then it is with most other domesticated animals (assuming that the reptiles in captivity are ‘domesticated’) just say so.

Also, domestic dogs are all the same species, so cross breeding leads to fertile offspring. There are many different species of snake, and cross breeding these leads to infertile offspring, like mules (with the exception of cross breeding subspecies, like carpets, which still produce fertile offspring). A woma X carpet would not be fertile, therefore IMO, unnatural.

pure breed dogs are NOT naturally occurring, they are pretty much all man made if im not mistaken. Quite a bit different to snakes i think.

^ That's exactly what I mean, almost all dogs (including purebreds, crossbreds, mongrels etc) are the way they are because of selective breeding by humans. They do not occur naturally. "Dogs", in their most un-modified form include wolves, dingos, and african wild dogs. Purebred dogs have many health problems thanks to us humans.

Those pics of that juvy are nearly 3 years old.
Is there any photos of an adult coma? or do they die early?..was it n.e.r.d.that crossed a scrubby with retic or burmese python?

Also, domestic dogs are all the same species, so cross breeding leads to fertile offspring. There are many different species of snake, and cross breeding these leads to infertile offspring, like mules (with the exception of cross breeding subspecies, like carpets, which still produce fertile offspring). A woma X carpet would not be fertile, therefore IMO, unnatural.

Fortunately it seems the same thing happens with tarantulas as a lot of breeders (especially in Europe) have tried very hard to cross various species for colour and pattern reasons. However it seems that the vast majority of offspring do not hatch, the survivors die soon after and the very VERY few (if any at all) that survive until breeding age, are infertile.

I have also heard that this occurred in Australia recently, apparently by total accident. Two varying species were put together for mating, but at the time they were thought to have been the same species of tarantula. When the mortality rates were beyond disastrous for no apparent reason, the owner sought help and after providing information and pictures, it was revealed that the parents of the few remaining offspring were in fact of differing species and thankfully the few remaining offspring that survived through until breeding size were infertile also.

If that’s not a friendly reminder from Mother Nature, then I don’t know what is?

^ That's exactly what I mean, almost all dogs (including purebreds, crossbreds, mongrels etc) are the way they are because of selective breeding by humans. They do not occur naturally. "Dogs", in their most un-modified form include wolves, dingos, and african wild dogs. Purebred dogs have many health problems thanks to us humans.

Yeah I agree. The reason for most of these health problems and defects occurring in Purebred dogs is due to inbreeding allowed to occur by (us) humans. It’s a long cycle in most breeds to create a Purebred line of dogs and without going into too much detail, in most cases this was brought about by a lot of inbreeding. But by repeatedly breeding the best looking animal with it’s offspring and creating better looking animals with a greater frequency, not only are you getting the good looks being passed on to all the further generations of the line, but also the health problems contained within this dog at the time due to the aforementioned inbreeding and these problems will be further magnified by continuing to keep the bloodline of these animals as “pure”.

So basically: a) the animal will have it’s own, sometimes unique health problem and/or defect and b) this health defect can not be bred out of the breed as this would break the Purebred line (therefore you’re basically breeding an animal with health problems and defects to and animal with health related problems and defects and making these problems worse essentially). For example Labradors are very prone to hip and skin problems, Jack Russell’s have a high degree of joint and eye related problems and Cocker Spaniels are prone to hip and ear infections which can become quite severe.

What a lot of people fail to realise is that cross-breeding species is basically a means to overcoming the health related problems of Purebred dogs as not only will a cross “clean” the bloodlines so to speak of the particular breeds, but it also negates the particular health problems related to the particular species. A Labrador bred with a Poodle for example is much less like to experience hip joint and skin problems than a Purebred Labrador.

Therefore I think you could argue that cross-breeding in dogs is actually beneficial and should not be compared to the situations occurring in snakes at all. “Mongrel” dogs have less health problems, they’re able to breed and like previously mentioned, did not occur naturally where as snakes do obviously. The only reason people want Purebred dogs is for looks, personality and basically the degree with which the looks and personality of the dog can be guaranteed to the owner. Here we have two types of different animals – Dogs, a domestic animal and Snakes, a non-domestic animal. You just can’t compare the two.

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see how it turnes out when its an adult.
this sort of thing will start happening here soon and there will be a big market for it
because every one wants some thing that looks different.im not saying its right i just think it will start here soon and will take off.......jmo.

Woah wait a minute... I didn't even KNOW two species could interbreed... That's biologically impossible. Unless the offspring is infertile

The definition of a species is that it can interbreed to create fertile offspring no? So if a Woma and a Carpet can interbrede and produce fertile offspring... that makes them the same species :S? Confused..

Different species of many types of animals can interbreed, some are fertile and some aren't. I'm not sure if it has been proven one way or another with Comas.

Blood & Studdart's Veterinary Dictionary defines species as "...capable of interbreeding to produce fertile or viable offspring"

It confuses me that this therefore means womas and carpets are the same species?! Argh!!

Blood & Studdart's Veterinary Dictionary defines species as "...capable of interbreeding to produce fertile or viable offspring"

It confuses me that this therefore means womas and carpets are the same species?! Argh!!

That defintion is a bit simplistic, seperate species can produce fertile offspring.

is the huge biological difference between a woma and a carpet any smaller than the difference between a say mulga snake and a woma or a black snake and a carpet scary possibilities

Last edited:
I had no idea that Aspiditis was able to breed with morelia. That has just unlearned what i thought i knew about different species.
All in all, though as far as snakes go its not a bad looking unit.
Maybe he invitro fertilised it, testube method or grew it in a petrie dish!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back