Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardy_boy99

Reaction score
Hello,
Have been looking at getting another new reptile, namely a python.
I have narrowed it down to either a B&G Jungle or Stimmy.
I have some questions about both of them:

Enclosure Size?
Fully grown size?
Prices?
When will they be available-Hatchies...Juvies?
Do they need UV?
Life Span?

Thanx in Advance...
:lol:

Also,
If people can please post pics of their enclosures and snakes...
It would be greatly appreciated

Its great to see you are doing your reseach..... I dont have either nor do I know alot about them but good luck

The Jungle Carpet Python is an incredibly beautiful animal that can make a striking pet for those able to handle fairly large snakes. These lovely pythons are more docile than many species, and they are usually quite active.
In the wild, Jungle Carpet Pythons inhabit moist forests and tropical rain forest areas. They prey primarily upon small mammals and birds. Jungle Carpet Pythons appear to prefer feeding from above, and will often attack prey items on the ground from a branch or perch. Adult Jungle Carpet Pythons that have been captive bred and raised and are accustomed to human handling are often described as being calm and docile animals.
At maturity, Jungle Carpet Pythons grow to lengths between five and a half and eight and a half feet (three meters average). Females are usually larger than males. The bodies of Jungle Carpet Pythons are slender, and their triangular heads are well defined. Their tails are prehensile and strong. Usually, the lips are pitted and the scales of the head are quite small. Jungle Carpet Pythons usually have a dark pattern on their heads, often a well-defined skull and crossbones shape. Often there are dark bars over the lips and behind the eyes. The eyes are commonly dark and have dark lines below them. Usually the most striking coloration of the body is seen in young adult Jungle Carpet Pythons. These animals have bright yellow or gold markings on a black background. These rings are usually dark and pale, with paler rings sometimes forming blotches over the back and sides. The blotches over a Jungle Carpet Python's sides tend to be elongated. Younger animals tend to have more monochromatic colorings, usually gray patterns on a black background. Older animals often acquire a black hint in their yellow areas, and some older individuals become sooty in coloration. A pale stripe runs down the backs of some Jungle Carpet Pythons. Some have zigzag stripes, though in some the line is straight. Usually Jungle Carpet Pythons with this stripe show some imperfection or break in the line. Sometimes it is simply made up of connected dorsal blotches. Juvenile Carpet Pythons don't have the yellow color common to adults, instead they have more of a light tan color until they reach adulthood.
Native to Australia, most Jungle Carpet Pythons come from the Queensland's Atherton Tableland. Many quality captive bred specimens are available, and often their coloration can be less sooty and more pure than many wild caught snakes. However, because some Jungle Carpet Pythons have been crossbred with other species, you should be sure that your animal is pure-bred if you desire a true Jungle Carpet Python.
dkbluepx.gif
Specific Care Information: Relative Care Ease: Average Adult Jungle Carpet Python enclosures should usually have at least five to six square feet of ground area and should have adequate height to allow for climbing. Jungle Carpet Pythons should be kept between 80 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit and have a daytime basking spot about 90 - 95 degrees. The nighttime temperature should be between 75 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Moderate humidity should be maintained, and a water bowl should always be available. Adults should be allowed a water bowl large enough for them to soak in. Jungle Carpet Pythons tend to spend a good deal of time off their cage floors when they are allowed perches. Ideally, they would be given a hiding area on the cage floor in addition to branches or perches.
It has been observed that some Jungle Carpet Pythons do not like rats, but most will accept mice or small rabbits readily.
dkbluepx.gif
Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease: Average Often, in breeding Jungle Carpet Pythons, breeders attempt to create animals with purer yellow or gold markings and less sootiness in the pattern. They have been bred quite frequently in captivity. Hatchling Jungle Carpet Pythons can often be started on pinkie mice, though many do better with larger prey items like hopper mice. Many may bite, although with regular handling this seems to cease. It is recommended that they be picked up with a snake hook and then placed into the hand to help avoid being bitten.

The stimsons python is a relatively small python in comparison with other Australian python species and belongs to the same genus ( Antaresia ) as Australia's smallest python, the pygmy python from W.A Antaresia perthensis.

Though a lot larger than the pygmy python, it is hard to accurately determine an average size of this python because among these geographically spread morphs there are obvious size differences.

As an example in the Mt Carbine (see pic 1 ) and other areas of far north Queensland they are indeed very small where as the stimsons found in the barrow creek area of the Northern Territory, and the wheat belt areas of South western W.A, get relatively large. Generally speaking though, an adult stimsons python size ranges between 500mm to 1000mm.

The stimsons natural distribution range would probably be the largest distribution range of any Australian python. Within this huge distribution range there are several recognized morphs. These morphs were probably the result of environmental differences
e.g.: habitat, and climate differences, over thousands of years.

Stimsons pythons are commonly encountered or associated with rocky out crops, woodlands and also inhabit termite mounds.

Although considered by most to be generally terrestrial, they do climb and are often found high up on ledges of caves where they prey on small bats.

They are also known to consume frogs, lizards, and small mammals. Some people have even claimed to have witnessed stimsons eating the occasional insect. Whether or not this is actually true remains to be seen.

Compared to other Antaresia species the stimsons body pattern is usually more defined and in my opinion it is the most attractive out of all the Antaresia's.

One of the more distinguishing features on the stimsons is a line or stripe of base colour that runs laterally down each side of its neck and often up to a third of its total body length.

In the Pilbara district we notice that the stimsons pythons found in the more sandy areas are usually lighter in body colour than the ones found from the more rocky areas.
176954360.jpg

176b54140.jpg

176a54360.jpg

In the south western areas of W.A there is numerous wheat farms around towns that make up an area referred to, as the wheat belt district.

In the isolated granite out crops often found scattered amongst some of these wheat farms can be found a morph of stimsons with body patterns that are slightly different than the far northern forms and some of these specimens can be truly spectacular.

Within the reptile keeping community these stimsons are now commonly referred to as wheat belt stimsons. Unfortunately there has been major habitat destruction to much of these areas where they naturally occur by the breaking up of the thin sheet rock from unscrupulous reptile poachers.
I personally have witnessed the aftermath of such destruction recently and was absolutely disgusted with what I saw.
In Captivity
Generally speaking the stimsons python is well suited as a captive pet. I have found the temperament of these pythons to be quite placid and besides the odd exception they are normally amendable to handling.

Most new specimens settle down well in captivity and usually thrive. stimsons should be set up in a way where they are not exposed to excess humidity as they are a python primarily associated with dry country. As this python is predominantly nocturnal, there is no crucial need to supply UV.

Captive stimsons thrive on freshly killed or defrosted small mammals. Rodents are the most common food given.
Breeding
Breeding stimsons in captivity is probably not happening as frequently as it could be. As there are now large numbers held in captivity across Australia I would expect this situation to change. To my knowledge I was one of the first breeders of the north Western Australia morph, however way back then this area morph was very rare in legal collections outside W.A.

Interesting though, is the fact that I did have difficulty in breeding my specimens that originated from the Barrow Creek in the Northern Territory. I am still not yet convinced that one form is easier to breed than the other and only time will tell as more W.A stimsons become readily available.

Stimsons found here on our Pilbara coast seem to mate right before winter (early May).
Eggs
The average number of eggs that they lay, at this stage remains hard to accurately determine. I have had two clutches of eggs and both occasions she only laid six.

I suspect that some of the larger morphs would have larger clutches and I am very keen on gathering this sort of data from as many people who have bred stimsons across Australia to add here.

Information so far that I have gathered has shown that they can lay anything from 2 to 15 eggs. The egg incubation time is approximately 55 days at temperatures between 30 to 32 degrees.

Although I have on occasions artificially incubated stimsons eggs, I normally opted for a natural maternal incubation which I found most rewarding.

Where would be the best place to get a 4-5 month old Stimson's that has nice colouring and a good temperment
-for around $200-300

I have, not many Stimmies.
What about SXR or Snake Ranch.
Will they have any available soon and for how much?
Thanx

www.sxr.com.au try that theyre great to deal with there
heres 2 pics of my spotteds enclosure, same as what you would need for a hatchie stimsons, heat mat on 1/3 on one side on a thermostat and some hides
hope you find a nice new snake :)

Attachments

• IMG0208A.jpg
    IMG0208A.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG0210A.jpg
    IMG0210A.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 66
beardyboy, my stimmy is 5 months old and has never bitten anyone in his life, or shown any aggression. i dont have a jungle, but everybody knows they tend to be snappy. stimmies are quite placid and just as cool! =p

make a good decision

he was $220.00
he was a bit snappy for the first 2 weeks then he settled right down, hes only bitten me twice but now that hes bigger i dont think he cares about anything lol heres some pics of him. hes a fair bit bigger now, havnt got round to gettin any new fotos lol

Attachments

• IMG0061A.jpg
    IMG0061A.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG0203A.jpg
    IMG0203A.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG0205A.jpg
    IMG0205A.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 55
VinceFASSW,
Where did you get your stimmy from and how long ago...
Does the breeder still have anyleft..
Do you have any pics..
Thanks for your reply

Mate i have recently bought my 2nd Jungle, and the info i can give you is off purely off the experiences ive had with them.

In terms of them being snappy: I get told that from everyone, but i struggle to believe it. I have been bitten once by my girl, and that was through my own fault. Size :She is going to be two years in November and she is roughly 1.3-1.5m. The enclosure i made for her is 900x1200x480 (photo with lights) so plenty of height for her, some will consider this size overkill, some will think not enough, i think its perfect, she is on display. Ive been told that uv light brings out their colour, and that it does nothing, so im at a loss there, but we put one in anyway. I got my female for $550 and the male for $500, but i have seen some for cheaper.

All in all i think jungles are awesome, and worth spending the bit of extra cash on. We handle ours pretty often and she has no dramas, even the dog likes her lol. Good luck making your decision.

chyka-albums-enclosures-picture3758-snake-enclosures-055.jpg

This is my stock standard advice that I have posted before on getting a snake for the first time:-

My advice to you would be to buy an established snake ie. one that you know won't bite, eats well and doesn't mind being handled alot, because when you get them thats all you'll want to do. I loved the look of Jungles too when I first got into snakes about 6 years ago but then I actually saw a jungle hatchling and quickly changed my mind. I got a childrens instead which was great and boosted my confidence and knowledge.

I finally got the Jungle I always wanted about a month ago but I was well prepared for his "lovely" nature because of all the snakes I've had before him.

Good luck choosing your first snake.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back