Coastal Carpet Python average sizes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissBree

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, i recently purchased a Coastal Python and the person i bought her from said she was 1.5 years and i'm not sure if she's small for her age? If anyone can help that'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Hey all, i recently purchased a Coastal Python and the person i bought her from said she was 1.5 years and i'm not sure if she's small for her age? If anyone can help that'd be greatly appreciated. :)
Far too small....:)

U will have alot of different answers about this.......such as yes, she is a bit small if u compare her to Ambush's coastal's length. But after reading similiar threads like this one, others will tell u not to really panic, like people snakes will grow at different rates. As long as she is in good health, kept at the right temps etc, & fed properly, she is fine.......she is just a little 'short'.......like ummmm, me :oops: :lol:

At 18months old my costal was over 1.5m and growing at a fairly constant 20mm per week. Feeding weekly to ten days, which is overdoing it a bit.

Both my Coastals are 8 months old and are each just under 2.5ft(just measured them on the weekend)They both feed like little Lions and have a small Fuzzy rat every 7-10 days.... The Female is a touch longer than the Male, I figured it was because her tongue is longer from talking too much(sorry weird sense of humor lol) I wouldnt worry too much if your Kiddy is otherwise healthy and accepting food regularly(Does your girl have the normal size and frequency for that age?)
Kind regards
Crystal

it will vary with each locale.

my brisbane coastal @ 1yr old was only 2ft (slow starter). she is now 3 1/2 yo and pushing the 8ft mark.
as has been said, as long as its health it will grow at its own rate.

I think i need to up her food size. The person i bought her from seemed to know what he was doing (he was not a breeder) and recommended feeding her pinkie mice, however the ones they had on display at the pet store and the ones they sold me are very different as they had just changed suppliers. The pinkies seem like they would be too small for her so i'm going to buy some fuzzys this afternoon and try her on one of them in a few days. To me it looks like she's healthy but i might get a second opinion as i'd like to be certain. She does looks a little bit skinny but her bones arent sticking out.

I would definately up her food size. She should be able to eat at least hopper rats at her size. You will also find that rodents with fur are better for her then pinkies.

Bel711, would you recommend i try taking her straight up to hopper rats or should i do a gradual increase of food size?

I think she would be fine to take a hopper, i moved my bredli from fuzzy mice to hopper rats without a problem, but she is a guts! Some people say they have had trouble making the switch from mice to rats, but generally i think if she is hungry she will take it!

I think she would be fine to take a hopper, i moved my bredli from fuzzy mice to hopper rats without a problem, but she is a guts! Some people say they have had trouble making the switch from mice to rats, but generally i think if she is hungry she will take it!
I agree, if she is hungry it shouldnt make too much of a difference.....specially if she is a voracious feeder :)

thanks for the advice :) Do you think i should leave her another couple of days before i try feeding her again? it would be about 2.5 weeks since she's last eaten

Like my 'matilda' hey Crystal! At approx 80cms, still just a baby, i reckon she would attempt 'downing' a rabbit if i gave her one! :lol: She is incredible!

When did u try feeding her last? Dont panic about the 2.5weeks, thats nothing. If u have just recently tried & she refused or u have just purchased her, leave her a week, & then try again.

Given if its a good feeder a 1should be on at least a wearner rat once a week mine are about 18 and on medium rats every 2 weks there about 5 feet

I feed by weight personally. I go by the rule of 25-35% of snake's body weight every 5-10 days, depending on whether you are trying to achieve larger size quicker. This can be done with a single or multiple prey items. Fuzzy rats are about 9-20 grams, pups/hoppers are between 21-30g, and weans are about 31-45g. Last coastal I fed using this program went from 60 grams body weight in July 2010 to 1.7kg in July this year. Good luck!

She is approximately 65 grams so i will try her on hoppers and see how she goes. I've had her for a little over 2 weeks so she might not be ready to take a feed. I'll give it another few days to try her. I dont mind how fast she grows but i would like her to reach her full potential.

i just bought a 8 month old and he is about 40 cms. i think that might be a bit small judging by what others have said. he was on 1 pinkie mouse a week when i bought him, now he is have 2 a week. he downs them like its going out of fashion!!

Pinkies don't offer much food value - up them all to velvet/fuzzy rats and then once you are confident with that after 2 feeds, try and up size them again.

You will end up with more contented snakes.

You want the food item to leave a fair ol lump in your snake's stomach. I would take a pic of what my 80cm(ish) Jungle looks like after he's downed a weaner/hopper rat, but I would prefer to just leave him alone as he'll go into his warm hide for 3 days. Needless to say, he looks like he swallowed a small car!

To try and put it to scale - if your snake is as thick as a standard type whiteboard marker (the white ones with the coloured caps) then it can eat something that's almost as thick as a toilet roll (scary, but true)

Best of luck all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back