coastal enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
simple question for those with coastals. i have just got a hatchy and i am unsure if the enclosure i want to build is large enough for an adult.

is a 3x2x3 foot enclosure large enough for an adult?

I think maybe 4x2x2 would be *better*, but I may be wrong :p Hehe
Edit: Whoops, misread the measurments...i think that size would be fine!

hi jason,
we keep our adult coastals in an enclosure that measures 4x2x2, they are 3 years old and about 5 to 6 foot long, they seem happy enough, the other enclosure we are using for a couple is an old cupboard, that way they get the extra hight, they are normal sized cupboards, not sure on size, but would be about 1.8mts hight and about 900mm wide, and about 500mm deep,

cheers,
steve.........

thanks guys so do you think that a

3 feet wide x 2 feet deep x 3 feet high is large enough

it would probly be the same size floor space as the cubboards you use steve probly a little bigger but only three foot high

hi jason,
i don't see why it won't be ok, at the worse, it will be ok for the first 3 or 4 years, we have been thinking about building larger enclosures for our bigger ones, but we did put our big male in a larger cupboard and he wouldn't come out of his hide, so we put him back in his old enclosure after a couple weeks and he went straight to his water and drank for ages, so he thinks his 4x2x2 enclosure was better, lol,
a friend has his adults in the same size as ours and his are lots bigger then ours,
so i think tthey would be ok,

cheers,
steve........

Ive got a single adult male about 8 feet approx. in a 4x2x2 and he seems to be happy. Cruises the enclosure a fair bit when hungry and just kicks back on either side (warm end and cool end) when either digesting or resting. Ive also got 2 perch's running side to side (one low at the back and one high at the front) that he kicks back on every now and then too. Handles well and isnt jumpy or anything like that so as far as a human can tell of a snakes emotions, he seems happy indeed.

That should be fine Jason, give him a nice strong branch for climbing and if you can, a high level hide box as well as one on the floor of the cage. When I had Mustang he loved his top hide box and spent a lot of time in it. It was about 3 foot off the floor of the cage and had a tree trunk in there for access to it :)

thanks africancichlidau i will probly do that with the high hide box sounds good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back