Corn snake at open house

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

I went to an open house today and to my surprise they had a reptile tank. The kids and I went to have a look and found a little Corn snake looking at up at us! It was the only snake I saw there but I really dont understand if someone wants a snake why choose an exotic when we have so many stunning local snakes to choose from.

I wouldn't mind owning exotics. I like our natives but variety is the spice of life

people speed and park where they shouldnt dont they? they may be illegal, but you would be suprised at just how many people keep exotics. yes even people on this site.
just for the record ive only ever kept natives

I understand people who have natives and have had them for a long time wanting something different but if someone wanted 1 snake wouldn`t they be better getting a lisense and doing it all legaly.

seriously not convinced everyone is aware you need a licence and should not have exotics.

Guy walks up to a family, "he do you want a snake?"... family agrees, buys the snake and takes it home with no idea about what the snake is or the licence requirements. I can see that happening pretty frequently.

A lo of people who like snakes think its an animal that can only be found at a zoo, so when an opportunity comes to buy one they don't think much of it because of innocent ignorance.

This is true. Most people know you might need a lic but can't be bothered, and some don't even know that corns are exotic.
They are cheap as chips , you pay cash and take it home that day.
Three years ago I told a person that owned corns, and wanted a BHP, that BHP hatchlings were $1000. They laughed! Thinking that they would be the same price as a cornsnake and thought I was a rip off.

There are more people that have absolutely no idea of how an ecosystem works there are that do , or try to take an interest. But thats humans.

what i have found is lack of education the problem, even when younger at school, kids would have a reptile licence and go out catching herps thinking it was ok cause they had a licence

This is true. Most people know you might need a lic but can't be bothered, and some don't even know that corns are exotic.
They are cheap as chips , you pay cash and take it home that day.
Three years ago I told a person that owned corns, and wanted a BHP, that BHP hatchlings were $1000. They laughed! Thinking that they would be the same price as a cornsnake and thought I was a rip off.

There are more people that have absolutely no idea of how an ecosystem works there are that do , or try to take an interest. But thats humans.

Not that I want to buy one (I'm having enough trouble with my own) but how much are corn snakes sold for? Also, how would someone selling an exotic snake sell it to a newb? They (the seller) can't really advertise it, it would be a "friend of a friend" thing, so I don't see how these people could acquire it without knowing?

Had a similar situation with an open house i've been to, They had a bearded dragon and a tarantula. Being into T's and knowing how to ID them i was keen to take a look. Turned out to be a mexican red knee!

...This is true. Most people know you might need a lic but can't be bothered, and some don't even know that corns are exotic...

I thought more people would know but not care, but I have been surprised how many people were genuinely clueless as to licencing and what was native versus exotic.

Not that I want to buy one (I'm having enough trouble with my own) but how much are corn snakes sold for? Also, how would someone selling an exotic snake sell it to a newb? They (the seller) can't really advertise it, it would be a "friend of a friend" thing, so I don't see how these people could acquire it without knowing?

I dunno how much they'd cost, but I think selling would be how many people would get into trouble. If you just have one in your bedroom, who's gonna know, but if you are trying to sell clutches, you perforce have to tell lots of people you have them. But it obviously works out most of the time :)

Had a similar situation with an open house i've been to, They had a bearded dragon and a tarantula. Being into T's and knowing how to ID them i was keen to take a look. Turned out to be a mexican red knee!

Now that is a cool exotic! Finally something other than balls or corns in one of these threads :D

I am from the states and I have had corn snakes before but to me, carpet pythons are the most awesome snakes ever. I have had king snakes, Corn snakes, Rat snakes, Milk snakes, Boas, and a lot of other species and carpets to me blow them all out of the water. Carpets are lively, curious, and they are naturally beautiful snakes and have a lot of morphs. At the moment, I only have one Coastal Jag but I have had Jungles and Irian Jayas. To be honest, I think all the species of Morelia and both species of Aspidites are better than any American snake. I guess that is because I live here lol.

Not that I want to buy one (I'm having enough trouble with my own) but how much are corn snakes sold for?
Well just before i left the UK they were going realy cheap on the forums. you could pick yourself up and adult normal female for around £30!

Also, i had it in my description on this site that i had previously owned corn snakes ( in the UK ) and some man had messages me that by the looks of it had been into the hobby for a while telling me " you should keep it more quiet about your corns, also, do you have any for sale?" i immediately replied asking him if he knew that were il-legal. he didnt reply after that.

Last edited:
Price overseas has no bearing on price here hey. From other threads on here etc, seems like a few hundred, varying with what morph it was etc. But this kinda market is extremely inefficient so you'd probably get prices all over the shop :)

A friend of mine was trying to sell a grey ghost corn for $800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back