Croc on a spit at Wild Expo !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd want a pretty good marinade to do croc on a spit. Probably mango puree, butter, salt, garlic and honey would be my pick. Also, it'd need to be skinned, wouldn't the flesh tend to fall off? It's a fairly flaky texture.
As for Roo, it's not too bad if it's cooked right and certainly better for you and the environment than beef.
I just don't get why people are so close minded, how is it worse to eat roo than beef? Baby cows are pretty cute.
GTP? Yeah I'd eat that, why not? Dunno if you still can but you used to be able to buy them at Indo markets for just that purpose.
Beardies? Bit bony. Not much meat.
I eat heaps of fish and there's not much diference between fish and reptiles.

yum.....

croc meat.jpg

Yeah Magpie, I was also wondering how well it would sit on a spit, you know it's cooked when it falls into the coals... I think a pig is a far better option for a spit, you can eat the whole thing head and all.

Just incase you're interested the book below is currently for sale through The Society for Study of Amphibians and Reptiles (SSAR)

Author Name: Liner, E. A.

Title: The Culinary Herpetologist

Binding: Hardcover
Book Condition: New
Size: 8.5 x 11
Publisher: Salt Lake City Bibliomania 2005
ISBN Number: 1932871055 / 9781932871050

The long awaited, second edition of Ernest A. Liner’s A Herpetological Cookbook. Greatly expanded with over 950 herpetological recipes. This is the most comprehensive account of how humans have prepared amphibians and reptiles for consumption. From historical recipes: Goanna (Aborigine style), Blackfeet Indian Jellied Snake, and Roasted Poison Dart Frog (Campa Indian style), to modern recipes: Turtle Croquettes, Zippy Alligator Dip, and Amphiuma a la Poulette this cookbook contains something for everyone. An entertaining, historically important treatise that every herpetologist should own. Price reduced 50% off suggested retail.

Price = 19.00 USD

Attachments

• culin.jpg
    culin.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 24
Sounds interesting.. Ive never tried croc before and when they are bred commercially as food I cant see anything wrong with that.. we raise cattle and lambs and chicken etc for food... same thing really.

i find that really off i don't hate a croc or roo enough to see a poll shoved up there butt on a spit eew!
bring on the beef or pork , i have tried croc as an entree somewhere in the Daintree as far as i remember it flakes like Barra cannot recall the taste all i remember is the Wasabi sauce . i guess i am used to the basics.

i have a problem with eating things that harm the environment, like non-bred food(such as trawler-caught fish) or beef(because of the methane), but i have absolutely no problem with eating roo or croc, or deer or goat or even (shock horror!) snake. snake tastes like chicken. goat and roo have a lot of long, hard muscle firbres and thats what makes them tough, like cheaper cuts of beef. its really not that different from eating "normal" meat, and its almost always a lot better for you.

That's why it was put out there for opinion.
This year they were planning to have a few spits going...cow/ pig/ lamb/ roo/ whatever. Then they went back and realised that Croc was the most popular item on last years menu. Clearly eating Croc wasn't a problem for most attendees, they just wanted to get feedback on it being on a spit instead of a hotplate.
I've been assured that there is going to be plenty of food and plenty of variety.
It's going to be a great weekend. Hope you all can make the trip.

I wasn't saying i was against it, i personally have never tried croc. I just thought seing a whole croc (head, legs, tail and all) spinning on a spit would be weird.
As for the roo, ive tried it and its pretty nice if its not overcooked, otherwise it goes tough and chewy.

Seems you guys have decided against a croc spit anyway, those burgers sound interesting though. So it tastes like chicken but flaky like fish hey?

i find that really off i don't hate a croc or roo enough to see a poll shoved up there butt on a spit eew!
bring on the beef or pork , i have tried croc as an entree somewhere in the Daintree as far as i remember it flakes like Barra cannot recall the taste all i remember is the Wasabi sauce . i guess i am used to the basics.

What did the cows and pigs do to you to make you hate them so much you'd want to see a pole shoved up their butts and put on a spit? :shock:

Roo on a spit, is a little too hill billy, bring in the banjo, "i guna get mi self some rode kull".

High fat content does best on a spit. Not sure croc would be best suited for it.
As to the beer, Bluetongue pilsener is drinkable but the lager is poor and not worth the effort. You getting this Anthony?

figures someyone would bring that up as soon as i posted it iJUST knew i was setting mysself up. Well let me think now beef and pork are the standard meat to eat.

Roo on a spit, is a little too hill billy, bring in the banjo, "i guna get mi self some rode kull".

the Sydney boys have to have something they know the QLDers and mexicans will like to eat...
and dems choice hilly billy tucker for dees interstate groups :lol:

Thats right Colin, the old road kill roo is staple for some.... finding one on the way home from the pub that wasn't there on the way to the pub....can't get fresher than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back