Cross Breeding of Snake Species, what do YOU think?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suenstu

Reaction score
I've been noticing more and more references to cross breeding. I'm not a fan of this myself, but quite curious to hear other's views and opinions on it
* takes can opener to worm can * ;)

Can someone define exactly what is deemed cross breeding? If it's what I think it is then I'm a big no.

Im personally against it. However, crossbreeding subspecies (eg. a jungle and a diamond) isnt too bad, but I'd be totally against crossbreeding species like carpondros (GTP x carpet) and "comas" (woma x carpet) especially the latter as womas and carpets are from two different genera.
But I dont think anyone in australia has bred comas or carpondros, am I correct?

Last edited:
Anything that doesn't occur naturally as an intergrade is classified as a cross breed.

This thread will close quickly me thinks.

As much as I like the look of some crosses I am against them for the sake of future conservation. I mean look at all the mutt dogs on death toll in pounds?

Also I can imagine some breeders selling crosses as pure to unsuspecting buyers.

Anything that doesn't occur naturally as an intergrade is classified as a cross breed.
Sorry can someone explain to me what an intergrade is, is it just a crossbreed that can occur naturally?

Yep, like a diamond cross coastal which is a fairly common occurance.

Please don't post misinfo,intergrades and crossbreeds are a totally different thing.There has been heaps of threads on the subject here over the years yet the vast majority still don't understand the difference.If you want to get an understanding of the differences then the search function on the forum would be a good start.

morelia X morelia = morelia , does it equal hybrid...no, cross breed....no.... this subject is open to massive debate due to intergrade v hybrid and what the definition of a morelia x morelia is i like them when done by people with brains!
IMO random fools crossing them to make bucks is a VERY bad thing 1 because theirs almost no money in crosses YET, there will be lots when its done right, 2 most people randomly crossing wouldn't kno hyper from hypo let alone a decent cross pairing
and 3 its not worth telling people u cross, because of the hater syndrome, just like albinos and jags the have not's will complain and slander to keep sales with them not in the next good thing
JMO

Nato

Nato,

So if i understand your opinion, the offspring from the following hypothetical pairings wouldn't constitute a cross or hybrid to you?

Morelia oenpelliensis x Morelia carinata
Morelia amethistina x Morelia viridis

etc..etc..

3 its not worth telling people u cross, because of the hater syndrome, just like albinos and jags the have not's will complain and slander to keep sales with them not in the next good thing
JMO

Nato

Perhaps I read this part wrong, but I don't think it's fair or accurate to say people with a loyalty to pure animals are simply "have nots" of Jags etc and don't like them out of envy or anything of the sort...not liking something can (believe it or not) have nothing to do with cash flow.

anyway, can't say I'm a cross fan. Without getting into animal ethics;
It'd be all merry and good IF they weren't going to be released into the wild, and IF people were honest...but it won't happen. People will dump them, some will escape, and people will lie about what they actually are.
Sure, we already have this problem with foreign snakes in our wild populations...but that doesn't mean "oh to hell with it" and keep adding more problems.

I was interested in the current opinions of people regarding this topic, you didn't leave an actual answer to the question posed JoshuaAtherton, just decided to have a little whinge. Not particularly helpful or interesting on your part. I have searched past threads on this subject. I wanted a current opinions for my own interest, information and perspective. I personally find the whole subject quite intriguing. If you don't like it, don't read the thread, don't block it up with your negativity. Pretty simple stuff really. Called "manners". Maybe you've heard of them?
Have a nice night ;)

I was interested in the current opinions of people regarding this topic, you didn't leave an actual answer to the question posed JoshuaAtherton, just decided to have a little whinge. Not particularly helpful or interesting on your part. I have searched past threads on this subject. I wanted a current opinions for my own interest, information and perspective. I personally find the whole subject quite intriguing. If you don't like it, don't read the thread, don't block it up with your negativity. Pretty simple stuff really. Called "manners". Maybe you've heard of them?
Have a nice night ;)

Not quite.The very idea of a discussion forum is to share ones point of view,whether positive or negative,how else would you gain a perspective on a subject?

Emo6-24-0901.med.jpg

Ugly things they are ;)

I love these guys would fork out the cash for them.
3ce57885-ad2e-d59a.jpg
3ce57885-ad3f-6332.jpg

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back