Dad gets bitten by snake visiting his dads grave site( bathurst white rock)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Thursday 23rd 12 2010

Dad goes to visit his dads grave site Bathurst ( white rock ) and trud on a snake mistaking it for a stick was a 5ft brown? snake.......it bit him on the leg then let go and it went its own way........dad ignored the fact he had been bitten .....minutes later he broke into a sweat then got local swelling around the bite site...

I live 7 hours away from him so its out of my hands as he would not go to hospital or even get any medical help what so ever..he didn't even apply first aid....just went home and drunk beer on the farm.....my step mother is still really worried as he still not in the best shape and cranky as hell....

well thats for being a stubborn old cranky man.....his own fault.....he didn,t even mention it that only my step mum asked him why he was so sick at the time...

cheers steve

my cuzn did the same thing but at parkes, he was bitten 6-7 times. he knew wot it was so he did 1st aid and all that stuff got to hospitle and found that the snake had not injected any venom. lucky basted he was i'll tell u

hope your dad passes out and wakes up straped to a hospitle bed ( i dnt mean that in a bad way) and i hope he is ok

Since he's showing symptoms he should definitely go to hospital!
Is he your father? If so, try and talk some sense into him!

It's a bit ironic, the whole situation...is he trying to join his old man or is he just stoic to a fault?

P.S - I've just noticed that there's a date of the 23rd at the top of your post, although you posted today. :?
How did this scenario pan out?

Last edited:
Since he's showing symptoms he should definitely go to hospital!
Is he your father? If so, try and talk some sense into him!

It's a bit ironic, the whole situation...is he trying to join his old man or is he just stoic to a fault?

P.S - I've just noticed that there's a date of the 23rd at the top of your post, although you posted today. :?
How did this scenario pan out?
yeah i only found out yesterday that it happen......like my dad would have said to my step mum don't tell any one as he doesn't want drama...after a few drinks my step mum could't hold the secret and told my brother...I have spoken to my dad about it......he cant be told......or convinced ...he doesn't care.....and from what I heard from my step mum this morning he is alright.....

So he doesn't care that he could have possibly died and left his family in grief? It doesn't cost anything to go to the hospital, why won't he do it? Especially if he showed symptoms. Ugh, I'm sorry but some people...

highly doubt it was an eastern brown snake bite ...could have been a yellow face whipsnake or something of the lesser more toxic vens ...if he had copped an envenomated bite from an eastern brown ...he'd be more then a tad cranky !

highly doubt it was an eastern brown snake bite ...could have been a yellow face whipsnake or something of the lesser more toxic vens ...if he had copped an envenomated bite from an eastern brown ...he'd be more then a tad cranky !

what she said

it's possible. if he's a really fat guy he could probably take it but it's still stupid on his part. then again i remember reading about those 2 other weirdos on up north got bitten bt went to the pub or some such and drank for a couple hours before going to the hospital. then down melbourne way i think a mother got bitten in the back yard and went in to make a cake instead of going to the doctor. details are blurry now but the guy up north was bitten by a death adder and the mother was an eastern brown. crazy people.

highly doubt it was an eastern brown with those symptoms.
so its a few days after the bite hows the old boy doing ??

ok guess this thread should be closed now cause wranga said so.

Correct me if I am wrong - perhaps someone in the field of expertise could advise here....

If someone is bitten by a venomous snake, but the venom injected is sub-lethal or of 'lower toxicity' - then would the body produce its own method of breaking down the venom (hence some of the symptoms) but (depending on venom type) there may be little to no side effects or lasting damage.

Of course, alternatively, if the venom was sub-lethal but could have on going effects such as hepatic or renal conditions? That is also possible...

But either way - this far down the track, a VDK would be useless (because of the time from bite) and therefore any anti-venom would not be able to be administered regardless of the potential for lethality?

And even if they could administer anti-venom - surely that in itself has serious side effects...

If this bloke went to hospital now - I am assuming all they can do is hydrate and flush his system (which would be less fun than sipping a beer).

On the other hand, if he rides it out, his body could treat the venom from the same type of snake more efficiently in the future??? All assuming there's nothing lethal going on....

I got stung by a box jellyfish last year by myself in a remote creek, I sat down and monitored my symtoms for an hour when I realised they weren't getting worse I went out reef fishing. Blokes do these things, that's why we have the Darwin awards lol

I DONT care what MYTHS and rubbish people say ...I have seen first hand what an ENVENOMATED EASTERN BROWN BITE does ...your dad wasnt bitten(envenomated) by an eastern brown as I said before most likely a lesser toxic ven ,and in which most cases get local swelling and feeling like crap for a bit then come good ...anyone that wants to test the EASTERN BROWN SNAKE envenomation bite theory, go ahead, but make sure ya video tape the bite, then you going home drinking beer and watching TV ...should be a good watch!

Last edited:
yeah like I put up in the first thread brown? questions that's because most people when they see brown snake they assume that its a brown......like my dad that doesn't take an interest in reptiles .....probably would have been a yellow faced whip snake ......not that he would care either way.......he is alright any way.....still cranky old man wont change... its was a laugh that it happened at his dads grave sight.....i think my dad was more embarrassed then any thing.....i can see why there would be snakes there , nice warm stones to bask on.. i told the old man that it could have been a yellow faced......only that there not as thick as your wrist as what my dad said it was....might even been a dry bite and got infection from the bite and a little shock that cause the sweating. there is all the possible

cheers steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back