Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though it is hot and humid in Darwin, your snake needs a warm spot in the enclosure (about 32-34 degrees) so he can regulate his temperature. Make sure to put a cage around any heat lamp and control your heat source with a thermostat so you don't cook the little guy.

As others have said, let him settle for a while and use a hook to get him out of the enclosure. I'll add that you should handle him during the day because they are in hunting mode at night and more likely to bite.

Start small - hook him out of the enclosure onto your outstretched hand and let him crawl around for a few minutes. Do this over a table or near the floor so he doesn't have a long drop if he strikes and you flinch. Just hold really still at first. When you are both more comfortable, increase the handling time and maybe move around a little bit. This worked well for my flightly Bredl male. Now I can walk around the house with him draped over my shoulders, but he was a keen striker at first. Even now, I don't handle him if he's on shed because he's really cranky then. I can tell before he goes off colour, because he hides in his box instead of basking on his favourite perch.

You can buy hooks, light cages and themostats at a good price from HerpShop. Not sure what is available around Darwin for retail shopping.

So I should just handle him without gloves, cop about 10 bites in one sitting and risk getting the teeth in my hands/arms? Gloves seemed like a good idea for this reason...

I will try and get my hands on a snake hook although I am not sure where I would find one. Hardware store maybe? Bunnings?

I don't use heating because I live in Darwin and it's already humid and hot enough. I have a fake rock hideout, small water bowl, fake bendable tree and fake vine in the enclosure. All exo-terra stuff I think. Oh, and kitty litter substrate. It's the white rock type litter. I was told that would be ok for snakes. I will try and take a photo for you.

He's eaten two pinky mice since I got him, about 6 days apart. He didn't hesitate to eat them either. Maybe he was just hungry? Because my friend handled him after feeding yesterday (before anyone says it, I know that's a bad idea...) and he wasn't aggressive at all.

But yeah as advised by most people in this thread, I will leave him alone for a week or so and then start handling him regularly for short periods of time. Rest assured, selling is an absolute last option :)
Using gloves can actually be a bigger problem for your snake ,more chance of ripping teeth out on a glove then your hand..it is giving you a defensive bite ,where it pulls back then strikes and pulls back again ...it is scared ..
the kitty litter stuff isnt a good substrate,it can stick to the food item and be digested this in turn can cause blockages...newspaper although might not be pretty ..works the best

as others have said ,leave him be for a while and only do what you have to like clean and feed and change water ....hope it works out for you .

Ok so I left him for a week, fed him, left him for a few more days, then got him out of the cage with gloves and took them off to handle him for 5-10 minutes without a bite.

That was the day before yesterday, then yesterday it was night time when I went to get him out and he looked pretty active and fiesty so I left him alone. Then I did the same thing today, getting him out with gloves then taking them off and handling for 10-15 minutes. This time he bit me, but I tried my best to be calm and I just let him stay attached to me for 15-20 seconds or so, until he let go by himself. He drew a little bit of blood and now I'm just wondering how I should treat small punctures/scratches like that. Betadine or something?

He's eating really well by the way. I take him out of the cage to feed now (I didn't for the first feed under my care) and he's gobbled the mouse almost as soon as I put it in front of him.

Thanks again for all your advice :)

You wrote that you fed him 2 pinky mice.For an 8 month old bredli that would be nowhere near enough.Feed him up well and he will most likely calm down once he gets a bit of size about him.

You wrote that you fed him 2 pinky mice.For an 8 month old bredli that would be nowhere near enough.Feed him up well and he will most likely calm down once he gets a bit of size about him.
The breeder said he was on fuzzy mice... and he was slow to start feeding regularly. Couldn't get any frozen fuzzies at the pet shop so I got pinkies instead. Maybe I should get weaners?

If not fuzzies, try weaners at this stage. Pinkies aren't very nutritious. Remember to handle during the day when he's not hunting and leave him alone for at least 2 or 3 days after feeding.

He drew a little bit of blood and now I'm just wondering how I should treat small punctures/scratches like that. Betadine or something?

when i got bit my 2 year old jungle ... all i did was wash my hands with the normal antibacterial dettol handwash (that i use before/after i handle my snakes) ... it worked for me so i think it should be good :)

pinkie mice ? id go pinkie rat2 [ 2 off] my 2 8 month old coastals are on a fuzzie rat every week ...
how long is the snake.... i think that bite was a hunger bite as it didnt let go straight away .

pinkie mice ? id go pinkie rat2 [ 2 off] my 2 8 month old coastals are on a fuzzie rat every week ...
how long is the snake.... i think that bite was a hunger bite as it didnt let go straight away .
Must be about 70cm? I'm only estimating coz I haven't tried measuring yet and I doubt he'd stay still long enough to measure anyway.

I'll buy some weaner mice or pinkie rats this weekend then for him, depending what the pet shop has.

Handled him a few minutes ago for the first time since feeding on Saturday, and he was pretty calm. Didn't tense up or anything like he was frightened or uneasy. I'm getting there I think :)

Must be about 70cm? I'm only estimating coz I haven't tried measuring yet and I doubt he'd stay still long enough to measure anyway.

I'll buy some weaner mice or pinkie rats this weekend then for him, depending what the pet shop has.

Handled him a few minutes ago for the first time since feeding on Saturday, and he was pretty calm. Didn't tense up or anything like he was frightened or uneasy. I'm getting there I think :)
Good to see that handling temperament is improving! I think you may be able to go even bigger than pinkie rats. My 44cm juvenile Stimson's Python is on pinkie rats and his head is no wider than my little finger nail.

My 7 month old bredli just nailed 2 fuzzy rats, 2 days after coming home. You need to feed it something bigger.

The breeder said he was on fuzzy mice... and he was slow to start feeding regularly. Couldn't get any frozen fuzzies at the pet shop so I got pinkies instead. Maybe I should get weaners?

if it was a slow starter, I'd go with weaner mice not rats, wait until it has a good feeding habit and then change over to rats.
Get yourself a hook and get rid of the gloves, if you want to pick it up while it's that small, quickly use the flat of your hand to cover it, don't give it a chance to bite or use the hook and gently rub it's side to let it know it's getting handled, then carefully pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back