debate about smacking children

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the 'improvements' theyre making like cutting down smaking children, laptops in schools, sex ed in younger and younger classes, no red pen etc are probably the reason why the new age of kids are so disgraceful (i know there are exceptions) Im only 22 and the things i hear teenage girls talk about almost makes ME hurl! I think they should be winding back time, at least the older generations mostly turned out respectable people.

Mignight serval - it has been proven over and over again that the earlier sex ed is introduced, the older kids are when they have their first sexual experience and the more likely they are to use contraception. Not sure how that is a problem?

I think it's pretty hilarious that there are all these teens and twenty-somethings on here wailing about "the good old days". In MY day, twentysomethings were out partying and having fun, not bemoaning the state of "kids these days" on the Internet!

i am very impressed with the number of young members who agree with smacking .as one of the older people on here i thought most would be against it .it gives an old fellow hope that not all young people will grow up as drop kicks .PS yes there is a difference between smacking and abuse .

i dont recall ever being smacked as a child, but then, i was the 'good one', and never really warranted it. i do recall getting my mouth washed out with soap a few time lol. my sister got hit with the belt a few times, because she was a little brat, but i must say, the threat of getting 'the belt' was enough of a deterrent... or just to be more sneaky at being caught >.>

but if i ever get around to having children, i think their father would have to dish out all the punishment, but in saying that, i would only agree to a firm smack with a hand, not a wooden spoon, belt whatever.
i dont think i could smack them, i'd just feel too mean. >.<

Last edited:
ok im alfor a smack in the right useage of hit with ya hand. i just jave my boy a tap to get him to stop and go to bed and it makes him stop and realize what hes doing. with my daughter i can smack her and it has no affect so talking works best with her. i dont care if im down the shops or out some were else the kids want to be "ferals" or little pains i wont say the words then deal with it there and then but quietly you would not like for someone to hit you in public for doing something wrong...
i bet there are a few parents out there that have a situation in a public place were their child has tested them and have been give the looks from passes by for not keeping their child under "propper control".
smacking never did us any harm and now this new generation has the worst respect not only for others but for them selves also.

Okay, I've skipped through a lot of the replies because there's too much for me to read at the moment. M BEARDIE NEEDS HELP FOR THE DEBATE..
I'm not on your side . . . but, to help you win your DEBATE, lets see what we can do.
You will have to talk about the other team who will say that smacking is there to deter children from 'choosing the wrong path' (or whatever)
Give the definition of smack.
Thesuarus - Smack = spank, slap, clout, hit, strike, punch, cuff, blow
Dictionary - to hit somebody with a quick stinging and usually noisy blow with the palm of the hand.
Is this acceptable? Are we allowed to smack, spank, hit, punch etc. ADULTS for ANY reason (even to teach them a lesson)? No - it's against the law. So why would it be acceptable to do this to a defenceless child?
There are other ways of successfully 'teaching' your child the difference form right and wrong. FOCUS ON PARENTS 'CONTROLLING THEIR CHILDREN THROUGH SMACKING (VIOLENCE) as opposed to TEACHING THEIR CHILDREN TO MAKE ACCEPTABLE CHOICES VIA DISCUSSIONS/FAMILY VALUES/ROLE MODELLING ETC.'
You can also add the 'LAZY' word into your arguement. The 'lazy' option being to smack (or better yet - say 'violently attack the defenceless child') instead of talking with the child and explaining what and why their actions were unacceptable and then offering better solutions to the situation.
If you can sum it all up into a question posed to EVERY member of the other side, perhaps you could ask them who would be happy to smack, slap, hit an adult because of a 'mistake' they made . . . or . . . better yet, bring a child along with you and briefly explain something this child has done that is considered unacceptable and then ask the other team members to come forward and 'smack' this child to teach them a lesson.
Good luck with the debate.
P.S. Just for the record - when I was young I knew I would get a smack if I continued to 'do the wrong thing' and my children know this is the same with them. I know my parents treated me fairly.

I'm pretty sure monkeys also smack their offspring....so it's only natural :D :lol: (Can you use something like that in a debate?? Or is that something I've just made up?? :p)

I'm pretty sure monkeys also smack their offspring....so it's only natural :D :lol: (Can you use something like that in a debate?? Or is that something I've just made up?? :p)

Monkeys also masturbate in public and fling their poo at people. Not sure if your argument is necessarily foolproof in a debate! :lol:

yay, some other people realised this thread was asking for help in a school debate, not to carry out an online debate.
(btw, i have seen my cousins wife 'smack' her daughter across the face (5 years old) for misbehaving. it made me sick to my stomach.)
beardie_m, MrHappy and jessb have given you some really good points for the affirmative (better than mine! though i hope mine helped...)
Good luck!!

some of you are comparing an abusive bash to a simple smack...no one that agrees with a smack on the bottom ..says its ok to punch, kick, hit across the face etc ...the question was do we either agree that a SMACK is a good form of punishment or not ...and like I said no one should be able to tell us how to deal with our own children ...there will always be people that abuse their kids ,YOU DONT HAVE TO BE PHYSICAL TO ABUSE YOUR CHILDREN EITHER .. stop focusing on the obvious ,half the non smackers of children could be the type to lock their kids in cupboards or rooms ,,but none of you will know this as its not done in public view ,...

Monkeys also masturbate in public and fling their poo at people. Not sure if your argument is necessarily foolproof in a debate! :lol:

Shame about that :lol:

(btw, i have seen my cousins wife 'smack' her daughter across the face (5 years old) for misbehaving. it made me sick to my stomach.)

And I suppose that's where some people get the point of this sort of punishment a little mixed up. There is discipline, and then there is abuse. You can smack a child, and then you can give a child a belting. I can smack my wife and get a giggle out of her, or (as an example) I could smack her and have the police pop over and arrest me ;) The term “smacking” can be thrown around a little loosely I feel. I think there is a line you can cross, and hitting a child across the face clearly crosses that line. Unfortunately some people don’t know where that line is.

If I was to give an argument against “smacking” a child I suppose you could argue that it teaches them that a physical response is more persuasive than a rational verbal response. Try doing the former next time a traffic cop pulls you over for doing the wrong thing and see what happens :lol: Then I guess the cop will revert to the former response as well with either his batten, capsicum spray or the ol’ 357 :lol: “Use your words…..what are you trying to say?” :lol: :lol:

People need to look at the majority of the kids today. They are rude, ignorant have no respect for other people they go around thinking they can get away with anything. Hang out in shopping centers at 14 with a smoke in they mouth wearing clothes 5 times too big for them

I am all for smacking I had it my brothers had it and most people my age had it for playing up and we all turned out ok LOL

You just got to look at what it used to be like many years ago, When a young kid would help a lady across the road or carry the shopping and they would hold a door open and allow an older person to walk through first but today they just think of themselves and don't give a hoot about anyone else.

This whole not allowed to smack your kid has just gone too far its a load of crap there is nothing wrong with a quick smack to the bottom or on the hand if that is what is needed to get the child's attention.

Belting's on the other hand can border on abuse....

P.S I'm not saying all kids are like this but am saying that the majority are

I think some parents abuse the power of smacking, but I have to say it seems to work quite well in some cases.

Not a huge smack in the head, but when I was younger I went through a stage of being a brat so whenever I did something naughty, Dad would explain to me what I was doing and why it was wrong, but if I didn't listen I'd get a firm smack on the wrist. I turned out okay, I don't do super stupid or bratty things anymore, but I don't believe in continuous beating. Just a smack on the wrist to shock the kid, as a last resort.

My Dad doesn't smack me when I do bad things anymore, he just takes away my computer,TV or threatens to sell my snakes when I'm at school, works better than smacking I reckon.

There's just no way (for the sake of my sanity) that I'm going to give my opinion. I just wanted to comment on the comments being made about how the reduction in smacking is the reason that kids are so badly behaved now....I think you'll find that if that tiny fact is related to the perceived rise in acting up by kids, it's only in a very small way.

All you young APS kiddies never went to a good Catholic school where the leather strap across the hand a few times was the norm, our creative technics teacher made a perspex bat, and he had a swing Federer would of been happy with..

All you young APS kiddies never went to a good Catholic school where the leather strap across the hand a few times was the norm, our creative technics teacher made a perspex bat, and he had a swing Federer would of been happy with..

:lol: we had a nun who would slam the lid of our desks down on our fingers or use a meter ruler when she was feeling generous and forgiving.

Violence breeds violence. I dont recall being smacked more than a couple of times and havent smacked my 5 kids, now adults, more than a couple of times.

I actually liked getting the Cane at school. I have to seek out other establishments to fulfil my desires these days :p (I guess you can't use that in a school debate either :lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back