Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
inbreeding is fine with reptiles, people just dont like the thought about it. what color are your beardies chris?

oh, and there was me looking fro a different blood line to breed Loki with.

i still dont think inbreeding is a good idea,...i know they tolerate it better than mammals, but look @ how weak the inbred population of US bred dragons is,...

chubs a little bit orange and had orange speckles in her beard,...bugs more on the yellowey side with yellow speckles in her beard.

most colored beardies are the result of inbreeding, loki is the result of inbreeing, The US dragons i have seen are fine. Reptiles have been "line bred" for many generations and are no more weak then mixed line reptiles.

i'm not saying your wrong by wanting to get a different line to breed yours with, i'm just sayin there is nothing wrong with inbreeding

Just about all geckos except rough knob tails and some of the rarer stuff is under $200, with the advantage that cages are cheaper to set up if you get a terrestrial type.
They don't smell, cleaning takes about 5 seconds and are easy to feed (crickets).

I am with Magpie & Twigz,

Get some Geckos, they are gr8!!
They are easy to look after and have funny little personalities :)
But , yes they are extremly addictive!!

Does anyone know of anyone selling 'yellow' Levis??

the us dragons are weak, have brand new diseases, lots or RI's and stuff. they look fine, but alot of them are very sick.

yep, Loki is a result of inbreeding but mixing different inbred genes with his inbred genes will result in any weakness in him not being mulitplied.

my beardies arent colourful enough to have been deliberately inbred to enhance their colours, but i've seen teh really bright ones ur talking about,...

RI isnt caused by bad genes, its the way the animal is kept, the diseaes over there, could infect our perfectly heathy beardies over here, its just a disease that is native to america and not in aus yet. Doesnt make the animals weak, wont be long and we will have the diseases over here. People will be importing the rare colors from america.

a general weakness that makes them more susceptible to RI even in good conditions is what i'm talking about. people with perfect husbandry are losing dragons to RI's

feel free to inbreed if thats what u believe in, i personally think its better to breed unrelated animals.

im narrowing it down now...

im after eaither

~Bearded dragon
~shingleback
~central netted dragon

is it possible to keep 2 of any one species in the same tank? (3ft tank)
or if possible to keep one of one species and one of another in the same tank?

cheers~

check out tawny dragons, red barred dragon and peninsula dragon, all small like netteds but males are very colorful

yep, Loki is a result of inbreeding but mixing different inbred genes with his inbred genes will result in any weakness in him not being mulitplied.
That's not true and you could infact even do the reverse. You need to know how big the population size was for the individuals you are selecting to breed to try you best to avoid a reduction in gene fitness and try to minimise a fixing of loci........

Believe me, genetics is MUCH more complicated then simply avoiding breeding siblings and trying to get two geographically distant specimens in a bid to stop inbreeding depression, a reduction in gene fitness or fixing of a loci (i.e. albinism)

inbreeding is fine with reptiles, people just dont like the thought about it. what color are your beardies chris?
It's not that simple. No you generally won't get deformities like you find in mammals and a like but it is still a practice that should not be encouraged on a wide scale.

i know you have as much chance of getting undesireable traits as desireable so thats why you would only ever inbreed the animals with the desireable trait. Probably more complicated again:D

check out tawny dragons, red barred dragon and peninsula dragon, all small like netteds but males are very colorful

if you like them let me know, ill give you care tips, just google them

hmm doing so now...

vote hornet #1 helper on this site... uve given me advice on numerous of my threads now when noone else can be bothered:)

some further info on these would be gr8full... mainly r they available and average price along with basic housing requirements?

FRILLED DRAGON
(Chlamydosaurus kingii)

RINGTAILED DRAGON
(Ctenophorus caudicinctus)

MILITARY DRAGON
(Ctenophorus isolepis)

MOUNTAIN DEVIL
(Moloch horridus)

Central Netted Dragon
(Ctenophorus nuchalis)

Red Barred Dragon
(Ctenphorus vadnappa)

Tawny Dragon
(Ctenophorus decresii)

Peninsula Dragon
(Ctenphorus fionii)

Central Bearded Dragon
~Red Phase~
(Pogona vitticeps)

Shingleback
(Tiliqua rugosa)

i know i ask alot of questions but i assure u once i find out info on those above lizardsmy questions will decrease :p

Silverbeast - i'd double check that your room doesn't actually smell. The human sense of smell adjusts due to a sensory threshold after about 5 minutes... I have to study this crap for a uni exam next week so i thought i'd put it to use. Just you know, for your own good.

lol, no-ones been telling me if it is!!

(also its currently moved out of my room and i havent noticed a difference yet :p )

i know you have as much chance of getting undesireable traits as desireable so thats why you would only ever inbreed the animals with the desireable trait. Probably more complicated again:D

Very simplistic way of looking at it, undesirable "traits" are probably more frequent due to mutation, many sperm, eggs and zygotes don't even survive to be born because of mutations hence many undesireable traits aren't even seen in populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back