Devastated. Advice would be much appreciated.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure , but where do you draw the line ?

Yes, thats a hard one to answer.
I have a warranty for temprament and health for about a year ( I don't usually bring this up with customers) but it is subject to cross examination on housing and husbandry. I have so far only replaced one reptile in 6 years and it was only two weeks ago.
Only had one unhappy customer ( that I at least know about ) because I didn't offer a replacement but I established he had overfed a hatchling Woma after not taking my advice.

If I ever have any issues , I normally find out all the facts before I offer anything as you often find it is not your fault what so ever ...
I had a guy who would put his hatchling in the sun for 30mins a day for heating , even though he was supplied a care sheet and clear instruction on purchase .. he did not get a refund.

For sure , but where do you draw the line ?

Yes, thats a hard one to answer.
I have a warranty for temprament and health for about a year ( I don't usually bring this up with customers) but it is subject to cross examination on housing and husbandry. I have so far only replaced one reptile in 6 years and it was only two weeks ago.
Only had one unhappy customer ( that I at least know about ) because I didn't offer a replacement but I established he had overfed a hatchling Woma after not taking my advice.

I should point out that as we sell alot of wild collected reptiles we are in a different position as far as responsibilty to customers compared to people selling captive bred. With wild collected there will always be a few unknowns.

Sorry for your loss, Iskaldur.

I had a guy who would put his hatchling in the sun for 30mins a day for heating , even though he was supplied a care sheet and clear instruction on purchase .. he did not get a refund.

What on Earth? Poor snake. Some people do some very silly things with animals. Thanks for explaining how you'd deal with this situation, Dickyknee and PilbaraPythons - very interesting.

But don't you think that there should be at least some warranty time in specific cases?

It depends on the circumstances,trouble is sometimes people aren't exactly honest in giving you the full story,eg like Dicky wrote left in the sun or even exposed to the sun on the way home in the car.

Here's a hypothetical one for you Dave.You breed an animal and it has been in your possession for say 6 months.In that time it has been absolutely trouble free,feeding like clockwork etc etc.Someone purchases that animal from you and comes and picks it up personally.Three days later buyer gets in touch telling you the animal has died and insists nothing bad happened while in his care.How would you handle the situation?

If it was one of mine, and there was doubt, pay for the autopsy and hold off on the refund..I imagine that'd be a pretty widespread blanket response.

I am generally a bit of a worrier in my every day life. I seem to ask more questions than sometimes necessary, but I suppose in doing that I have learned a lot and aquired a lot of information.

I am very thankful that both of our pythons were aquired via APS members who were really helpful and so patient when selections were made. Help after purchase (luckily only 2 questions) was met with friendly, helpful sellers who were so willing to offer more help.

I hope your next snake purchase is a more positive one.

this may be a bit gross for you but how long was he dead for b4 you put him in the freezer? you could still do a post mortem on him ive seen it done. if its something physical twisted stomache egg bound etc you can tell pretty easily, if it was infection/disease then it is too late. (you can do it yourself if you have the stomache) sorry i know its not nice to say since we are talking about it being your pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back