Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venomous_RBB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well as you guys know I have had a pretty rough two weeks with some evil person called MR.
Anyway It has gotten worse.... Alot Worse and to top it off it was birthday on Wednesday.... My 21st.
I had to get my dog put down today... she was only 8yrs old and with doggy dementia....
But no, thats not the killer.
My Gorgeous BHP, my absoloute favourite snake and my absoloute favourite animal in the world has been sick the past two weeks with a bacterial infection - close to R.I but different and heres why:
She has a tumor in her chest.

The Story
I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago and had to give her fortum injections every 3 days for 3 weeks (19th March). I should also mention that I am petrified of needles (not needle sharp teeth.)
Anyway on Tuesday 2nd April she looked like she was improving finally and looked like she was going to be okay as at that stage it was just a bacterial infection.
On Wednesday night after dinner with the family and a few friends, I went to check on her, she was really not herself and thought I would keep an eye on her, her throat was a bit swollen but she had just had a drink too.
On Thursday morning I checked her and she was limp, thought she was dead...... Well we rushed her back to the vet which is 35mins away. When we took her out, her throat was really swollen and there was a hard thing around her chest area. The vet wanted to keep her in for an observation, blood work and also to have a radiograph on that lump. The throat being swollen, is because a secondary infection had moved in (Its something like cephalitis).
I called Thursday arvo and nothing to report except they were doing the testing this morning (Friday) and were going to let me know.
Got woken up to a phone call from them at 8:30 saying they had done the radiograph and the vets were looking over it, also that Salacia (my BHP) had not improved nor deteriorated.
At 12:00 I called to see how she was going, no improvement and no news to tell.
At 3:00 while my parents were getting my dog put down (family dog - I couldn't go, way to upsetting), I called again and they said no improvement but could hear the worry in her voice which worried me alot.
At 4:30 I called again after crying all day about my dog and my extremely sick snake, I was just a mess(still am).... Anyway she told me that Salacia was in critical condition and had been flat all day. The radiograph has turned up a mass in her chest which they are pretty sure is a tumor. They are taking a biopsy. The blood work could not be completed because she is not stable enough.

So in conclusion I am absoloutly blown away. They said that because of the tumor, her immunity was down and thats when the bacterial and secondary infection came from. They said the tumor was not preventable but whats that, when my gorgeous snake that is so placid and has never even gone into the s position, is dead? Yes I am weird and love my snakes alot but this girl is special and should not have had this happen to her. She is going to stay in the vets over the weekend, will keep you guys updated... Sorry to go back and forth, my brain is mush from crying alot. (Also I dont cry over everything, those that know me would know that, I am actually normally a tougher person).

Edit - Also I let the breeders know :(

Last edited:
:( that sucks, keep us posted on her progress. Our thoughts are with you xx

I am so sorry to hear :( What a horrible week...sending hugs and thoughts your way xx

Please let us know how your BHP goes, I really hope she pulls through

I'm so sorry to hear all that you are going through Sam, both thoughts and prayers are with you :(

Bugger mate. Life can dish it out both ways and the wheel will turn. Stay strong, feel the grief but dont let it drag you down. There will be sunshine soon. All the best.

Steve

Well, it can only get better from here I'd say. The initials you mention indicate that this creature is who we thought it was, and it's disappointing to see he's back in NSW. He's a big problem for those who deal with him, and has a drug habit, which explains a lot of his behaviour (but doesn't excuse it)...

Jamie.

Chin up mate, at least you have your health and have the ability to turn things around. Your have a good heart and a strong passion and will come through all this a better person.

Well this is completely *awful*! :( I'm so sorry that you have had such a run of *bad* luck..sending loads of good vibes your way.. xox

So sorry rbb... sending you big hugs! xx

Bugger mate. Life can dish it out both ways and the wheel will turn. Stay strong, feel the grief but dont let it drag you down. There will be sunshine soon. All the best.

Steve

you always have wise words :)

sorry to hear the bad news. i feel so bad for you. i have lost some animals and the memories are always there but so is that empty feeling. but it get easier as time passes. be strong and let us know how it all goes.

Oh RBB! What an awful 2 weeks. Can't imagine what you're going through! Hopefully everything improves from here.
My thoughts go out to you xx
Just keep strong and try to enjoy all the positives in life. It may seem there are none at the moment but they're always there. Your other reptiles for example.

Hopefully Salacia is strong like you and pulls through.

Wishing you the best,
BP x

It is so horrible these things have happened to you. I'm sending some positive vibes your way. Hopefully things will get better soon.

Thank you heaps everyone, I have heard no news this morning but should around the 8:30 mark, 3 days with lack of sleep is catching up with me... All my other guys are doing really well and waiting for my jungle to shed as its his first shed with us so interested to see his colour.
My two Classic Bredli yearlings are in the same boat, so interested to see how much red comes out in them.

Trying to keep my mind of things but it just wanders there, especially since her enclosure is empty and it is in my room.
So it is especially difficult when I see the heat lamp off and no Salacia there with her head out of her hide looking over at me or she does her "window dances" wanting to come out for a bit.

Anyway will let you guys know what I hear.

Life deals us some cruel blows sometimes RBB. It's our ability to bounce back up that makes us the people we are. If u let certain situations in life get the better of you they will.......that's when u dig your heels in and say I'm not going to let this beat me.

U will be surprised how much better it makes u feel.

Stay strong. The dark valleys you are walking through now will help make the next good times feel even brighter. As someone who has fallen into some really dark places in recent years, I can assure it will get better. Blessings!!!!

Thanks everyone.
Unfortunately I had to let my girl lay to rest this morning at 10:15. I got to spend some time with her and she had me and my dad there while she was being anesthetized so they could then put her to sleep.
R.I.P Salacia, my beautiful BHP girl <3
My favourite breed, my favourite snake and my favourite individual.

R.I.P Beautiful <3

I have no idea why I have been getting such bad luck, I have been trying to do the right thing for society, shaving my hair (Worlds greatest shave), loving and looking after my pets, volunteering places, trying to help out my sick grandparents.... I seriously have not done anything to anyone and I get crap happen to me? I just dont understand.

Sorry to rant at the end of this but I just seriously dont understand and it's my poor animal that has to suffer because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back