Diamond or Carpet hatchling?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
both of those its not the right colour for a diamond they are typically black and white or gold/yellow

and the patterning dosnt match a diamonds at all im guessing its a pure coastal but not 100%

would be better if u could see it streched out

Here's the same hatchy stretched out a bit more. Hope that helps.
It was sold to me as a Central Coast Diamond, but a mate of mine reckons it's a Carpet.
So far it's two against one and a half (I'm unsure?)

hmmmm those last to make it look more like a coastal x diamond

its most like like a intergrade known as a gosford(central coast) coastal u got what u were told u were getting if thats what u were after then congrates lol

nuthing wrong with an intergrade fine looking snake if u ask me

take in mind im no expert but in my opinion its a gosford coastal

take in mind im no expert but in my opinion its a gosford coastal

Jimmy, juvenile Diamonds look nothing like their adult form. What they do look like is the snake in the photo above. How many hatchlings have you seen Jimmy?
Pakobs, I reckon you have a Diamond python there mate. I don't think it is a coastal or even an intergrade. The best way to be sure, is to view the parents before you buy.

Yep have to say it looks a lot like my diamondd hatchling. The only thing that would make me question is the striope down the side in the first photo. Here is a pic of mine...i hope

[

sorry having some trouble posting pic here. Its in one of the unnamed albums and its the only pic in there. I'll try and post but give me a minute!

This is what my diamond looked like as a hatchling

S3000090.sized.jpg

She is now almost 2

Diamond.jpg

Sorry about the out of focus shot

Jeez you made that look easy deano haha. Thanks mate.

He's about 4 months old now.

I bought him as a high yellow diamond so heopefully turns out somehting like yours.

Looks exactly like mine as a hatchy
Should be a nice one mate
The high yellows are my favourite

How old & how large is that snake?

In the pic it does look a bit larger than a hatchy.

:roll: You have also hit a touchy subject, many people on online forums put up pics of X's & interegrades and then call them pure diamonds. Wich inturn starts a big old debate that gets noware. I guess here we go again :lol: :roll:

IMO a good Diamond represents it name, Diamond shape markings with no blotches or strips on its body.

Thats not to say some pure Diamonds don't have a small amount of circular blotches or a little bit of striping.

Good luck mate, enjoy your snake no matter what it is. :)

Hatchling Diamond or Carpet?

Thanks heaps guys.
Great photos and well illustrated Deano. What an incredible transformation!
You give me hope. I was a bit unsure at first, its quite a PHENOMENON.
I've since been directed to the following literature by Professor Richard Shine:-

"Hatchlings are blotched with various shades of brown, and look just like juveniles (and adults) of the closely related carpet python."
"...hatchlings of these two subspecies are very similar in colour, even though adults are so different."
Australian Snakes-A Natural History, 1991

and "A strong ontogenetic shift in colouration, whereby hatchling Diamond Pythons superficially resemble Carpet Pythons occurs." Also Dr. Shine, Biology of Morelia spilota, NSWNPWS, 1994

Has anyone done or seen more recent research into this phenomena?
The best way to be sure, is to view the parents before you buy.

Good advice Greebo but what distinguishing characteristics do you look for when you can't see the parents?
P.S- My "hatchling" is about 3 months old and about 2 foot long. :?:

Thanks Linus, a good comparison!
The dorsal blotches appear to join up anteriorly and there's a continuous dorsal stripe towards the tail. Now we're getting somewhere!

P.S. Linus-Re: time warp?- I think the distortion was at my end. I'm still getting used to the technology. Either that or it was the mysterious ontogenetic shift!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back