diamond python - when are they ready mate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
When are diamonds ready mate?
At what age are they mature enough?

i would wait at least a year, obviously she is a large diamond but may be still growing on the insides if ya know what i mean :wink:. Let her parts develope properly and you will have less problems with her breeding in the long run.

i would wait at least a year, obviously she is a large diamond but may be still growing on the insides if ya know what i mean . Let her parts develope properly and you will have less problems with her breeding in the long run.
but how would you know?? is there any indicators that may factor in when she'll be in the game

IMO its better to be safe than sorry Farmdog. I just beleive that trying too early may be putting the health of the animal at risk internally if by some chance their happened to be a success. i belive that time is the indicator, size, and developement. i dont beleive that a diamond would have completely grown enough at the age of 2 to be spitting out eggs. Like Greebo said, 4yo is an approx guide - so listening to people who have bred or with experience is prob the best indicator at all :) . I have a 2 year old diamond and i will definately be waitng till 3.5 to 4 to try to breed.

If fed well most diamonds will breed at 4 years. I personally wait until they're 5 or 6. I think at this age you've got a better chance of getting a good clutch. I dont believe a diamond at 2 years is ready regardless of size. Breeding her at 2 years may be taxing on her internal organs, as Mr K said, and any eggs laid may well be infertile.

When I think about that, Who is telling to young diamond female in wild if she is ready or not she have to go for it if she feel that she is ready.. By my opinion, I would leave the decision on the snake. If she is not ready, she will not mate. But I doubt if you will have any luck with 2 year old female.

Well this has answered my next post.

Looks like I will have to wait a couple of years for mine.

My only question is, "Wouldn't they breed at a younger age in the wild or not?"

Farmdog, I actually types this reply about 3 hours ago but forgot to hit submit and walked away from my computer. I just came back, hit submit and then saw slatemans post. :)

Its funny that most animals we are legally allowed to keep reproduce so quickly but snakes take years to mature.

I waited till my male was 4 yrs and the female is about 6 before I even tried. Both are around the 6 ft mark.

I really enjoy breeding animals and always have. I might have to get a couple of mature pairs of snakes this year and see how they go next season. I am in no rush for my diamond as he is my pride and joy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back