Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ecuse me Dicky, I didn't accuse you of anything. I said to me the images I found looked like Macs, and unless , 'are they really that different???'... i would think it was a pi$$ take.

Hrafna took my point and pointed out that the pattern dissapears as they mature... NOW I know. I also didn't realise the top pic was yours it was one I found on another site and I used it as an example of what I expected an Elcho to look like.

No idea on age sorry , but he getting on a bit ... He is in with the female as we speak though so keep an eye on my for sale ads at the end of the year ;)

Yeah im picking up a male and a female on the 28 th
Is there any thing wrong with breeding bro and sis like is there and
Mutation

Antaresias all have a single anal plate and divided posterier subcaudal scales (I believe that's the right term, the ones on the tail)

The divide is replicated on the anteria subcaudal scales in A. maculosa, A. stimpsoni and A. perthenesis (apologies for any misspellings
A. childreni however do not have the same divide present on the anteria scales. Which seems one way to clearly decipher at least the Childrens' Pythons of the four.
taken from a uk site.

Ecuse me Dicky, I didn't accuse you of anything. I said to me the images I found looked like Macs, and unless , 'are they really that different???'... i would think it was a pi$$ take.

Hrafna took my point and pointed out that the pattern dissapears as they mature... NOW I know. I also didn't realise the top pic was yours it was one I found on another site and I used it as an example of what I expected an Elcho to look like.

Sorry mate , I was just stirring you , no offense intended .

They are both elchos in the pics , the hatchlings are heavily spotted , as they grow they end up like the male of mine in the pics .
Ill see if I can dig up some of my hatchling pics.

Gruni , this is one of the hatchlings from my elchos ...

ElchoIsland25-10-2011.jpg

Last edited:
Would a scale count be a good tell tail sign that define the 4 species?

It still amazes me that as a hatchy it LOOKS like a Mac. I am assuming the scale variation mentioned earlier by Frozenmouse clarifies that they are Childreni, do Childrens hatch out with the same splotchy pattern?

Ok thanks to a few people,

To the people saying they look different and localities doesnt help t all, this isn't my first time keeping snakes.

Im currently on a 3000km herping trip.

Im finding ants in the same locality photographing them that look a bit different.

I Littuarrly found two pythons less then 25m apart on the road which look very different, not just pattern but head shape, I'm pretty sure which is which but wanted to know if there where certain differences e.g scale count

Saying one can have bigger spots doesn't help lol

To the guys with serious answers thanks :)

Thanks for the extra info about the trip and your aims of identification. You didn't make it clear what you were after in your first post so I think all the answers were given as serious and genuine answers. I have to admit I didn't look at your post count, not that that is always an idicator of experience or depth of knowledge. So as someone who tried to give a serious answer... you're welcome.

Last edited:
The Stimmie depicted in post 6 has a distinct mid lateral line from the head traveling about a third of it's body.
Some literature gives this as a diagnostic for A. stimsoni, however I've only ever seen a few childreni in hand and others have told me the mid lateral diagnostic doesn't always hold true.

The baby Elcho is mine and would be a direct sibling to Dickys, they all start fully patterned. I also don't appreciate you taking my photos and re posting them. You are imposing mine isn't an Elcho yet you have no clue what they. They do not look like A.maculosa.

Last edited:
I used your pic which was readily found on Google images to findout if that is how it works with Elcho's. Two others have already explained and I didn't 'impose' or infer anything other than to ask a question. As for the pattern I still believe the pattern is VERY much like the pattern on any number of Mac's I have looked at. Talk about being precious, even Dicky accepted what I was getting at and Hrafna had already clarified things before that.

Regardless of where an image is from does not give you the right to post it anywhere. I guess that's another thing you can research... You can believe what you like, doesn't make it true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back