Dimmers Vs Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyd

Reaction score
Just wondering about the pros & cons of using dimmers vs thermostats - who here on the forum use's dimmers/thermostats and why?

thanks all

Jim from Bris

Dont use either, especially thermostats IMO they suck big time, and your animals can get a larger temp gradiant by not using them at all. Just supply them with a constant warm area and a constant cool area and they will do the rest themselves. Too easy, too cheap, to good.

I use thermostats for the fairly obvious reason they control the temperature in my cages :D I actually use dimming themostats which are the best of both worlds. A dimmer on it's own is fine except that you have to be there all the time to adjust it which sort of defeats the purpose a little.
It's all personal preference really.

I heard that Rock guy used dimmers. Think I saw it in a thread somewhere :wink:

HE DOES NOT!!!!!!!! Shame on you pete. Mind you hed use them over thermostats anyday as long as the enclosure has an area that is not affected by the heating at all.

jimmyd
I prefer using the HabiStat dimming themostat over a standard themostat any day. Dimming themostats are far less likely to regulary blow bulbs and because they dim instead of turning off and on like typical standard themostats, it is unlikely to startle your reptile.
Cheers Dave

Lets also throw into the Question, $$

How much does the average Thermostat Cost?

For intance a Habistat dimming thermostat........?

I use a Dimming Thermostat... I have never blown a bulb ...except when I banged the globe accidently when it was hot.

I use the Habistat Dimmers, they never give any trouble and are excellent quality. As far as cost, mine cost me about $100 each by the time they get here direct from the UK.

TrueBlue said:
Dont use either, especially thermostats IMO they suck big time, and your animals can get a larger temp gradiant by not using them at all. Just supply them with a constant warm area and a constant cool area and they will do the rest themselves. Too easy, too cheap, to good.

bang on :wink:
in the wild snakes have to put up with cold snaps, cloudy days, rainy days, droughts and all the other environment variables.
simlest is often best
though if i was alloud to spend the big bucks that some people spend on there pets id have all the good gear.

boa said:
I use thermostats for the fairly obvious reason they control the temperature in my cages :D I actually use dimming themostats which are the best of both worlds. A dimmer on it's own is fine except that you have to be there all the time to adjust it which sort of defeats the purpose a little.
It's all personal preference really.

I think you might be a little misguided there boa.

Dimming thermostats "dimmers" actually adjust the current sent to the heating device (bulb, ceramic, heat mat ect) so the device is always on, but with the different current range sent to it just makes the device "dim" which in the sence of a light bulb, look like its not as bright as it would be with a full current sent to it. So the more work the "dimmer" has to do to get the enclosure to a set temp, the more current its going to pass throught the bulb till its at its desired temp, then it will back off slightly to keep the temp constant.

With a normal thermostat, its a on/off process, where the heating device is either on (heating up) or off (letting the surrounds cool down to desired temp) then on/off again ect ect. Thats the reason the bulbs blow more often with normal non dimming thermos, cause the element is constantly heating then cooling, which can stretch and snap the element.

Hope i didnt get too off track there??

I use microclimate dimmers and have been using them for over 2 years and havnt blown a bulb yet..
I use to use thermostats but after buying a dimmer with day/night dimming I changed all my enclosures to dimmers and personally I think my reptiles are doing better with the dimmers...

Thanks for that although I have no idea what it was you were telling me or how I was misguided. I know exactly how a dimming thermostat works, I have been using them for some time. I also use 'standard' thermostats depending on the situation.
Maybe you were referring to this comment 'A dimmer on it's own is fine except that you have to be there all the time to adjust it which sort of defeats the purpose a little.' That was in reference to an ordinary light or fan dimmer you would have on your wall, you would have to constantly adjust them manually. I don't know, I'm not really sure what your comment was referring to.
:?:

Teamsherman said:
I think you might be a little misguided there boa.

Dimming thermostats "dimmers" actually adjust the current sent to the heating device (bulb, ceramic, heat mat ect) so the device is always on, but with the different current range sent to it just makes the device "dim" which in the sence of a light bulb, look like its not as bright as it would be with a full current sent to it. So the more work the "dimmer" has to do to get the enclosure to a set temp, the more current its going to pass throught the bulb till its at its desired temp, then it will back off slightly to keep the temp constant.

With a normal thermostat, its a on/off process, where the heating device is either on (heating up) or off (letting the surrounds cool down to desired temp) then on/off again ect ect. Thats the reason the bulbs blow more often with normal non dimming thermos, cause the element is constantly heating then cooling, which can stretch and snap the element.

Hope i didnt get too off track there??

Agreed, I rarely use a thermostat in a single cage, by that I mean I use one per bank and as long as the heat source is carefully thought out the temps remain constsnt throughout.

boa said:
Maybe you were referring to this comment 'A dimmer on it's own is fine except that you have to be there all the time to adjust it which sort of defeats the purpose a little.' That was in reference to an ordinary light or fan dimmer you would have on your wall, you would have to constantly adjust them manually. I don't know, I'm not really sure what your comment was referring to. :?:

Yep, that was the comment. It gave the idea that those dimmers were the ones you were thinking about and comparing to thermostats.

I do know of people who use those dimmers but they seem like a waste of time as they need to be adjusted manually.

I use regular probe or wall thermostats to control heat tape under ceramic tiled floors to the enclosures. This controls night time lows on the enclosure in the hot spot. During the day lighting determines how hot it gets in basking locations. On a couple of enclosures which can overheat on very hot days I have dimmers but I only use them when the room temperature exceeds 30C or so.

Dimmers also have there place to control the amount of "on time" a thermostat has. Ideally you can set the dimmer so the thermostat is on 90+% of the time but I have never bothered doing this.

A lot of the points of view expressed in this thread seem to ignore the fact that depending on where you are your heating requirements will differ. If you live in FNQ you may not need much heating at all. In Melbourne temperatures vary so much that IMHO some sort of thermostatically controlled heating is a must.

--
Herp Shop - http://www.herpshop.com.au
Make a herper friend very happy this Christmas with
10% off all Barefoot Bushman DVD's at the Herp Shop
BushTucker.gif
SolCroc.gif

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, what sort of dimmers are you referring to ? You don't mean a timer ?
Confused of Brisbane :lol:

herptrader said:
Dimmers also have there place to control the amount of "on time" a thermostat has. Ideally you can set the dimmer so the thermostat is on 90+% of the time but I have never bothered doing this.

i think herptrader means in between the thermostat and the heat source, like a sort of home made "microclimate" dimming the heat down so that the globe doesnt get switched as often. please correct me if i am wrong herptrader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back