Dimmers Vs Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish, hell I spend a fortune on fishing gear.

re Dimmers

Yeps TB your fishn brains workn too hard,ya got to relax it like the herp keepn brain,those mongrels swimming round dont care if you have a fancypance fishing rod or the newest latex fully life like wriggling prawn lure. :lol:

T.B. where are you from and how do you heat so many enclosures off 2 bulbs?
i run 1 digital thermostat per 2-3 enclosures. i would change them all over to microclimate dimmers but there to dam expencive including the elec. bill. i tried one and compared it with a digital thermo and you use one 5th less power on the thermostat because they are not on all day and night. in saying that. one day i will have all my enclosures with mesh up one end and the heat lights at the other so they will run constantly. but i am still toying with this idea.

bikie dude,- Moved from the sunshine coast to north qld a little over a year ago. The way I keep them works better in a cooler climate to get the full benifit but it still works much the same up here but without as many cool days, which when cycling animals definite season changes are a very good thing.
Most banks are 3 enclosures high with the bulb attached to the back wall of enclosure so the bulb is only half an inch or so from the top, which is also the floor of the above enclosure, this creates a heat pad in the above enclosure to heat it, another bulb in the top enclosure and it creates another heated area on top that 2 fish tanks or 4 click clacks can get heated by. Toooooo easy.
Afro, na I just really dont like them, have used them in the past but find this way to be so much better, cheaper and has a way larger natural temp gradiant than can be achived with most thermostat set ups.

We are finding the same as TB here in Rocky... 7mths ago our Coastal came from a thermo controlled enclosure in Brissy to our 'winter' of maybe lowest of 15, so thinking we were doing the right thing installing a thermo, we had a temp, I think in the mid to high 20's.

Now that we're in the heat of summer (38'C today) I'm thinking we might need to install a small fan (like maybe a computer exhaust) to create at least a little bit of a cooler spot. What are you thoughts on that idea guys?

Well a thermostat has no bearing on the problem you have there, ideally you need the animals in an air conditioned environment so you can control the temperature more effectively.

ScottBec said:

Now that we're in the heat of summer (38'C today) I'm thinking we might need to install a small fan (like maybe a computer exhaust) to create at least a little bit of a cooler spot. What are you thoughts on that idea guys?

Fans don't cool the air, they only circulate it. A fan will not create a cooler area. You need something else to cool the air, then use the fan to blow the cool air around.

:p

Hix

re Dimmers

The old idea of the cage on cage with light bulbs heating the floor of the one above has been around fora long time.They had this set up at kumbaingeri wildlife park in the early 70s and it worked OK except that the enclosures were not long enough to allow for a sufficient gradient,6ft long for a medium sized 6ft python is ok.My large enclosure inside is 6ft long with a heat matt one end that has been dimmed to 32c using a commercial plug in dimmer that has a memory and its left on constant with no thermostat.On the stinking hot day we had a while back it was 40c outside and the bhps had retreated to the cool end and there body temp was 32c thats ok,today its warm and they are just near heat source under newspaper.If they really want to get warm they lay right on the heat pad.Ide heat it like TB if i could stack one on another,the cages at coffs harbour snake house was about 3 ply that could absorb heat effectively from underneath so if i just had a light bulb hanging down on one end of my enclosure the floor would be too cold.Allot of cages that are sold these days have little gradient and when they are combined with a themostat are little more than sweatboxs for their inhabittants. :)

re Dimmers

Yeah I used the same system as TB years ago, about 20 I guess and do roughly the same thing now with banks of cages with different wattage bulbs except I control them with a dimmer stat. You are right, for it to work really well the cage has to be very long or you don't get a large enough gradient regardless of whether you use a thermostat or not.
I also agree that some of the small cages you see around for sale can potentially become sweatboxes, of course they are usually fitted out with a 100 watt bulb for a 2 foot tank or something equally inappropriate. Of course if they do have a thermostat then at least the bulb get switched off every now and then.
I think by and large people don't use the heat they produce efficiently enough and waste a large part of it.

zulu said:
The old idea of the cage on cage with light bulbs heating the floor of the one above has been around fora long time.They had this set up at kumbaingeri wildlife park in the early 70s and it worked OK except that the enclosures were not long enough to allow for a sufficient gradient,6ft long for a medium sized 6ft python is ok.My large enclosure inside is 6ft long with a heat matt one end that has been dimmed to 32c using a commercial plug in dimmer that has a memory and its left on constant with no thermostat.On the stinking hot day we had a while back it was 40c outside and the bhps had retreated to the cool end and there body temp was 32c thats ok,today its warm and they are just near heat source under newspaper.If they really want to get warm they lay right on the heat pad.Ide heat it like TB if i could stack one on another,the cages at coffs harbour snake house was about 3 ply that could absorb heat effectively from underneath so if i just had a light bulb hanging down on one end of my enclosure the floor would be too cold.Allot of cages that are sold these days have little gradient and when they are combined with a themostat are little more than sweatboxs for their inhabittants. :)

re Dimmers

Yeh boa,its hard to buy the right sizes ile have to build a bank of 6ft enclosures for the bhps,something that looks good too would help :)

If you use a divison even smaller enclousers can get a massive temp gradiant.
Yes the rock zombie has arrisen from his grave. beware all.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

re Dimmers

yeh god idea that TB and works good,mine has a division,cause it is a converted buffea (or how ever yu spell it) cabinet, with a rough as guts hole cut out and its cooler :)

Habistat thermostats

I'm looking at getting a habistat thermostat but i cant seem to find them in any of the online reptile shops. Any info on where to purchase would be appreciated
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back