Do carpet pythons go after eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeDah

Reaction score
Hi all, My duck is sitting on a clutch of 14 fertile eggs, and pretty much all of them have embryos. Just wondering if Coastal Carpet Pythons eat eggs, or will seek them out because their is a fair few around here (Just last week one was sun baking on top of the duck shed). I would hate to think that a baby duckling in the egg would be alive inside the snake :/, so was just wondering if their is any need to secure the nest. Cheers Naomi.

i have heard of pythons eating eggs but are not real certain, but i dont see why they wouldnt eat them if they could

Hi all, My duck is sitting on a clutch of 14 fertile eggs, and pretty much all of them have embryos. Just wondering if Coastal Carpet Pythons eat eggs, or will seek them out because their is a fair few around here (Just last week one was sun baking on top of the duck shed). I would hate to think that a baby duckling in the egg would be alive inside the snake :/, so was just wondering if their is any need to secure the nest. Cheers Naomi.
i would be more worried about the duck than the eggs! lol

Yep the eggs will be eaten by some pythons. I've seen both coastal carpets and water pythons that have eaten chook eggs from nesting boxes.

I have no useful input, but am currently imagining what would happen if I fed my coastal an egg...
He smashes his food every time, so I imagine there would be a huuuuuuuuge mess, and not very much inside the snake!

I have no useful input, but am currently imagining what would happen if I fed my coastal an egg...
He smashes his food every time, so I imagine there would be a huuuuuuuuge mess, and not very much inside the snake!
I believe they swallow them whole.

Id be more concerned about the mummy and daddy bird and the chicks when they eventually hatch.

Eggs are quite commonly eaten by sub arboreal to arboreal snakes. Carpet pythons are usually the main ones who are known to eat eggs. Carpet python was found not long ago with golf balls in its stomach as she thought they were eggs. From my memory the carpet that ate the golf balls was a coastal in QLD.

Whilst I am no expert....From how much I hear that pythons love chicks/quail/poultry I would think the ducklings may be shortlived if the eggs were left alone until they hatched.....If Mr Coastal is already hanging around the duck shed soaking up some rays....I reckon he has already worked out that a feed might not be too far away.....:)

Whilst I am no expert....From how much I hear that pythons love chicks/quail/poultry I would think the ducklings may be shortlived if the eggs were left alone until they hatched.....If Mr Coastal is already hanging around the duck shed soaking up some rays....I reckon he has already worked out that a feed might not be too far away.....:)

haha :D the bubs shall be kept out of reach, at night theirs the pythons and the foxes, but at day theirs the birds of prey! ;) This is the first clutch... wonder how long they will survive...

I rescued a diamond python who had a good meal on some Chinese silkies eggs! Defentaly they will take eggs, and eggs I would think would be a good source of nutrition in a varied diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back