Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its possible that the name green tree snake is quite old. The first few snakes described in Aus were around the sydney area I think, so in thinking along those lines and I don't have any photos, the ones I have seen around Sydney are a olivey, green colour with a yellow underside.
The blues and whatnot seem to be a northern colour phase.

When I first moved to brissy the green tree snakes were the greenest I had ever seen... wish I got some pics, they were 100% actually grass green :) And feisty little guys too! They had no worries standing up for themselves ^_^ Cute as... I have thought about these as pets... what are they like? I have fond childhood memories of the species :D

I will see if I can find some pics. But the green tree snakes around Mt Cotton area are the same green as an actually green GTP xD

Sydney / newcastle (NSW) have very true greens, and the whitsunday islands in (QLD) i have caught quite a few pure black ones.

When I first moved to brissy the green tree snakes were the greenest I had ever seen... wish I got some pics, they were 100% actually grass green :) And feisty little guys too! They had no worries standing up for themselves ^_^ Cute as... I have thought about these as pets... what are they like? I have fond childhood memories of the species :D

They are a bit tricky compared to most other commonly kept snakes, but well worth the effort IMO. I have some good memories of them as a child, one of my favourites was seeing one going into a defensive display, i was much smaller then but would have guessed it to be around 5', it thought it was tougher than a cobra standing up and doing body waves.

I have not got photos, (once again not proven until photos produced) But do believe me as I travel the Central QLD bush regulary & I have in my travels seen these Green tree snakes. Most are like you say blue/grey/green. BUT every now & then you come across a beauty that is realy irrodescent green/blue even better than any photo I have seen. TRUST me, but I do not carry a camera all the time. Next time I see one I will at least try to take photo on mobile phone. But they are there & not common.
This is the best example that I've been able to find ...

But they seem few and far between. Common Tree Snake definitely appears to be a much better name.

They are a bit tricky compared to most other commonly kept snakes, but well worth the effort IMO. I have some good memories of them as a child, one of my favourites was seeing one going into a defensive display, i was much smaller then but would have guessed it to be around 5', it thought it was tougher than a cobra standing up and doing body waves.

:D ha ha yeah! They were reeeeally common when I was a kid :) And they ALWAYS seemed to get pissed off the second they realised you were watching them. I don't know how many times I was chased by an itty bitty green tree snake LOL they may have only been two to four foot long and yet they really thought they could chase you off ^_^ I was more 'scared' of them than any of the enormous pythons I came across... and I had seen some big wild pythons as well :)

One, I believe, had just eaten the neighbours dog when I came across it. It was happily sitting in the neighbours front yard, all fat and happy.

snake3.jpg

As said if you are lucky enough to see a great colored one in the wild, you would surely appreciate the color & the snake, as they do display offensive action but soon retreat to getaway. I have only seen two of these highly colored snakes that you talk about in the wild over the last 25 years. People who more frequintly visit bush areas might tell you different, but I have the snakes naturaly at home & from my travels & at home have only ever seen two in my life. Truely a snake that makes you look a second time.
Cheers Ian.

Years ago at Tweed Heads I nearly stepped on one of the brightest green snakes I have ever seen, like a GTP but greener (if thats possible). This thing would have only been about 3 ft long, crossing a path at the hotel we stayed at. It went up a tree fern, and then disappeared into the foliage of some giant tree.

The image has always stayed with me and as I've gotten into herps I even started to question whether it was even a native. Just like the other guys have said, you can't find pics of them (or pics that actually do them justice), these things are bright, bright green, nothing like the olivey ones being shown here.

I would LOVE to have one as a pet. Are they as feisty in captivity as in the wild? They are so fast as well, how do you manage to not lose it out of the enclosure? AND what do you feed them? Crickets, woodies, pinkies?

I would LOVE to have one as a pet. Are they as feisty in captivity as in the wild? They are so fast as well, how do you manage to not lose it out of the enclosure? AND what do you feed them? Crickets, woodies, pinkies?

i have a wild caught and captive bred and my wild caught is probably better with handling than my captive. its all about making sure you can grab them quickly and easily if they decide to bolt. and they do... very quickly. i feed both of mine fish, but thee are some who feed rodents. rodents with fur are apparently very bad for them and i heard that a diet of just rodents isnt too good for their livers (or kidneys.. one of the metabolizing organs) either.
i wouldnt describe many CTS as feisty.. more skittish than anything else.

My Golden phase is a little skank. Always gives me a nip when I get her out, she's generally hiding as well so escaping isn't an issue for me, when I get her out she's pretty good as a handler other times she's very defensive and puffs her throat. Right now I'm feeding her house gecko's and an assortment of fish. Both food items are live. I've tried frozen gecko's too during the winter (small stockpile) which worked but I liked to see them chase there prey. Which is something that most snakes in captivity dont do, actually chase down prey.

My Green Phase, which to answer the original question is green with a yellow underbelly. With each shed the green is turning more aqua but not blue! This one I've had since it was tiny and is a considerably better handler. I had an accident with feeding it fish with spikey dorsal and pectoral fins. The fish was stuck in its throat for about 48 hours and it tried regurgitating the fish which subsequently caused damage to the throat. It eventually swallowed the fish. Afterwards I had a few months trouble feeding, after one force-feed fish it was on its way and has been feeding like a champ on fish and geckos.

Be aware that their isn't really a right or wrong with these snakes to the herpetology public. All the husbandry stated could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back