Dog Anti-bark Collar review anybody?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the electric ones are not a strong shock at all... there is a test function to tell if the battery is flat... it is a full powered jolt and it only compares to licking a 9 volt battery...

Depends on where you get the collars from!

My neighbours dogs bark constantly! A jackrussel and a bitsa. When they first moved in, i warned them people would complain if they didnt do something about the barking, and sure enough after a few weeks of hi pitched yappy constant noise they had there first complaint. And now they have had 4 other complaints since then and still has done nothing about the barking.
They arnt well trained dogs and they have no time spent with them at all. I know this because its came straight from the horses mouth.
So a friend suggested letting the dogs out of the yard, ringing the council and telling them there are dogs wondering about, and then if the owners want their dog back they have to pay money to get them back.
Kinda cruel i know, but so is having untrained yapping dogs constantly barking while your trying to sleep. Especially when you have young children.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like they work well, just depends on how persistent the dog is as to which one to use. This little fella next door tends to bark on the other side of the house and its not very loud, so doesnt bother me. Bothers the owners of the dog though, hence the fix time.

Regarding training, Im hearing you, however their not the best of trainers, hence the problem. I think fear is the dogs biggest problem so should be interesting to see what a little kennel does for it to hide in.

Colhunter, for around $100-$150 you can buy this large heavyduty sonic noise antibark device (ebay/oztion) which you setup on your boundary to do next doors dogs. their only good for around 10m, but if you have an electronics mate im sure it wouldnt be hard to juice her up a bit.

Has anyone come across an anti bark device that doesnt come on at the first bark? Perhaps set it for 4 barks or something then zaps/puffs/beeps?

the electric ones are not a strong shock at all... there is a test function to tell if the battery is flat... it is a full powered jolt and it only compares to licking a 9 volt battery...

I'd like to dispute this statement. I've zapped my dog with an electric collar and it made her yelp and drop to the ground. Once I saw the effect it had on her, I put it on my neck and zapped myself - it hurt like hell. I took it to work and told my colleagues about it and one daring young guy offered to put it on his testicles to see what sort of pain it would inflict (fully clothed). I have never seen a grown man howl like a dog before :)

A 9 volt battery on the tongue tingles, an electric collar hurts - about a 6 on the pain scale.

I just wanted to add since no one else has, that a dog wearing a citronella collar must be monitored 100% of time it is on, as if the dog doesn't stop barking and keeps getting sprayed, it can cause very serious respitary problems. So this is no good at night when owners are asleep or when they are out of the house. My kelpie used to bark pretty bad at night (and he was properly trained but still barked) but a bigger kennel with a big blanket and some toys solved the problem the first night. Also giving him a good bone kept him amused (and quiet) for ages.

put the dog in the freezer ..that will stop it barking slow its heart rate waaaaaaaay down and thaw out when you get home .......we all know some dogs bark because of emotional reasons little dogs were bred for companionship so if its being left on its own NO WONDER ITS BARKING tell your neighbour to get another mate for it or stay at home there is also doggy day care but the cit collar works too but you will have a miserable dog......:(

i'd electrocute a chihuahua just for a giggle, personally :D

but for anti-barking purposes, i don't like the idea of electrocuting the dog. mind you its better than having your ignorant neighbor bait it instead.

Try a super sonic one. I work in a pet supply store and we have some for $22 that customers say work well. Citronella ones are hundreds of dollars.

We tried this - super sonic one - dog just barked it flat - if anyone has an electric collar for sale or hire PM me
Tried to hire one of the council, RSPCA, etc no one does it anymore.

We also have a yap yap living next door, the owners now lock it inside from 8 pm to 8 am to give us our sleep time, i can put up with it to some degree during the day.

Our council does still hire out the citronella collars, but for our neighbours that cant clean up their backyard, i doubt they would spend the money on a collar...

My 20 month old daughter even goes to the door and yells out Shut Up... funny but not good...

Mrs I

xxx

But a really big scrubbie and feed the yapping rat to it ..............................problem solved and no evidence left. :)

I use an anti bark collar on my Blue Heeler. I was a little hesitant to use it at first.
It has 2 probes on it and a sensor probe in the middle, this sits on the dog throat, whenever she barks it gives her a zap. It has 6 levels of correction. It is the best thing i have ever brought.
I got mine from the petshop, it is a Petsafe anti bark collar. It cost me $120, and it is well worth the money. She won't bark now if she has the collar on, which is great.

As others have, I would very strongly emplore you to encourage them to train their dog properly, as an anti-bark collar is just going to upset and confuse it. Of course it's much harder work but it's far better for the animal psychologically in the long run, chihuauas, much as i'm personally not a fan of the breed, are very smart dogs, and will respond very well to correct training, particularly if he's still young, but even if he isn't it. Beating an animal out of a natural habit that annoys the owner through aversion training really isn't ok, and positive reward for good behavior will always, always work far more effectively than negative inforcement. If they aren't willing to properly train and care for this dog, they simply shouldn't have it, and should re-home it with someone willing to put in the time and effort to train it properly.

i have tryed a few differant things with my dogs to good success

firstly anyone that puts one of those electro shock units on there dog should have it strapped to there throat for a few hours and see how they like. Honestly they are inhumane and thus why they are actually illegal (i have put one on a mate whist pastout, it was his dogs, he didnt like it much when i woke him up)

the citronella jobbies are great i have one on my female at night all the time and have not had a complaint from the neighbours in about a year, yes they can be expencive but i blame this on some greedy pet shop owners how can they honestly charge $200+ per unit when i know for a fact you can get them on ebay for $69.95 per unit brand new.

You will also find there are the ultrasonic ones for sale on ebay for very cheap ($15 i got mine for) i will be testing this against the citronella ones very soon and will get back to you all about the effectiveness of them but i have heard that they work well and you only need to replace the battery's no need to keep buying the spray.

the third type i have come across is the pulse/vibration type, these are commonly mistakin for the electro shock units but instead of sending a shock to the throat they have 2 studs type things sticking out and when the dog barks they will vibrate and this would be quiet uncomfortable for the dog thus stopping it barking. I have not used this type befor but have heard they work ok but if your dogs are like mine and are good at loosing there collars then good luck lol

hope that helps

cheerz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back