Dog Saves Toddler from King Brown

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/article/2007/10/31/4400_news.html

Wow - the cairns post is really throwing the articles thick and fast - wanna sve the click - here's the article:

A NEGLECTED doberman adopted by a loving family last week has saved their toddler from being bitten by a deadly king brown snake.

Seventeen-month-old Charlotte Svilicic was playing in the garden of the family’s Atherton home on Monday when Khan the doberman grabbed her by the back of the nappy and threw her clear of the approaching snake.

The heroic pooch was bitten by the snake after saving the toddler but is recovering after a dose of anti-venom.

In an amazing twist, Khan’s breeder revealed his grandfather had saved a child in similar circumstances.

Charlotte’s mother Catherine Svilicic yesterday told The Cairns Post Khan had saved the child’s life and the family would be forever indebted.

"If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it," Ms Svilicic said.

"Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressive towards Charlotte and kept trying to nudge her but it wasn’t working, so he grabbed her by the back of the nappy and threw her more than a metre.

"Charlotte looked pretty shocked and then Khan screamed.

"I realised quickly it was a snake and Khan had been trying to get in between her and the snake before he threw her."

After being bitten, Khan ran inside and collapsed. He was given a shot of anti-venom by a vet and had a tough night on Monday but managed to survive and eat a large breakfast yesterday, despite the ordeal.

Mrs Svilicic said the family had only had Khan for four days, and they were moved by Khan’s selfless and protective act.

"When Kerry Kinder (Doberinling Boarding Kennels owner) rescued him, he was starving, had broken ribs and had been beaten – he was an abused dog," she said.

"It was borderline on whether or not he should be put down because he was in such a bad way."

Mrs Svilicic said Khan would spend the rest of his life in luxury.

"If Khan wants a gold bowl, Khan gets it. We owe him for the rest of his life,’’ she said.

Mrs Kinder bred Khan and rescued him after discovering he was being mistreated.

"He was starving for attention and wanted to be loved because he came from an abused home, so I’m not surprised about what he has done at his new home."

An Atherton snake expert believes Khan escape death because the snake was not able to inject a large amount of venom.

*** Note from SLiM ***

Is it true? It's quite amazing really... The last line makes limited sense, I just hope the Atherton Snake expert wasn't waht his face from Kuranda :p

Well, your comments are welcome - I always like the varying ideas of our forum...

STORY1.gif

Entirely plausible and the dog definitely (imo) knew it was saving the girl from danger.

Great dog, they'll love that for forever now. It's just a pity Dobes are on the target list to be banned.

It is clearly an amazing story - I now hope that girl grows up to do something amazing!

And you know what - no one in this article recommended all snakes should die! Thats what suprised me the most! It focused on a positive outcome for all - the snake is happy somewhere else - didn't eat the toddler - though it was probably going for the dog anyway... And the dog should live - looks like it was bitten on the ankle - so he was very lucky! Maybe a dry bite???

very brave dog, I really do think that dogs know what they are doing, after all "a dog is a mans best friend"!!!

Slim6y, if it was a dry bite they wouldn't use anti-venom would they? Or don't they test for traces of venom before hand?

I thought it was great that there was no talk of killing snakes as well.

That is the cutest photo. I'd hate to be that girls first boyfriend in ten years time.

midol why do they want them banned. they are great dogs and great looking dogs aswell. ive never had 1 but friends have. ive only ever had border collies and they are the best.

midol why do they want them banned. they are great dogs and great looking dogs aswell. ive never had 1 but friends have. ive only ever had border collies and they are the best.

Same reason pitbulls are banned.

People have misconceptions that some breeds of dog are more vicious than other dogs when this is not the case, it is the owner that causes the problems and dobes (along with rotties, pitties, GSDs and other large dogs) attract quite a few ****ty owners which in turn casts a bad light over the entire breed.

Right now rotties are under fire in Victoria and will be following throughout the rest of Australia. The media portrays such dogs so poorly that people buy into the scare campaigns to have them banned.

If anyone would like to know what they can do to stop these breeds being banned then PM me, ALL large breeds are at risk so do not think your dog is safe :x

It is a very touching story but its a pitty that Pseudechis australis are NOT found in Atherton. Minor detail!!

Typical of the media always going over the top.

The reptiles of FNQ are getting hammered at the moment. The Cairns Post is publishing any rubbish at the moment. In the last 2 weeks , they have run stories on :

A croc that was bashed to death by a rock by a few Black kids.

A rather large Scrubbie that was smashed by uneducated old git with a golf club, who was quite proud to say that he broke his wood on it and had to run up stairs and grab a 3 iron to finish it off.

Keeping in mind that his reason for killing the 3 meter python was due to the fact that it was constricting his cat. This is a lie anyway as the cat did not have a mark on it, and we all know what a 3 meter scrubie would do to a 5 kg cat, within a minute.

And then today,

Some cruel , lame excuse for a human being, smashed another 2.5 meter Scrub Python, this time they decided that they could show how proud they were of their '' Big Kill'' and thought that it would be a good idea to tie the animal up on a street sign.

The sadest thing is that QPWS will not do bugger all about it.

Its time these biggeted clowns learnt a lesson about FNQ's native and ''supposed'' protected fauna. If these idiots do not like the local wildlife then they should all head south to New Zealand where there are no ''scary'' reptiles.

I would like to see the day that I see one of these idiots doing something like this.

Nick

im callin out this story as TOTAL SENSATIONALIZED CRAP

so this snake slithering across the lawn with intent to bite some kid randomly,
and this dumbass dog came to the rescue "throwing "the kid away from impending doom
and just in time for the snake to attack it whilst it was heroic in defence

BULLSH#T!

this would be the real story

dog atacks snake and gets bitten by snake defending itself with a kid somewhere nearby

ohh dogs attack, maul,and kill kids far more than isolated incidents of accidental snake bite
+ parents backing over kids in FWD a lot more frequently than snakes biting them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back