Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a dumb snake ?? I have a 21 month old Stimmie and I swear he's as thick as a brick when it comes to feeding. He has adult mice and no matter how I present it to him, he'll always go for the bum first.....I can point the head in his direction, but no....he has to check out the backside. It takes him ages to figure out the fact that he has to eat head first.....he eventually figures it out, but it can take ages. Anyone else have the same thing happen with their snakes ??? I don't see it as a problem because he does eat, but he just seems so thick !!!

i have a coastal that likes to eat his rats stomach first. the rat ends up folding in half so it will fit.

Well not to insult my python but my little Childrens is abit slow.. He doesnt have trouble finding the head its just he Finds it then goes back to the bum THEN tries to eat it but realises its the wrong way then he does this a few times but thats only on his bad days ;P Usually hes right into it ;D

A better question would be does anyone have a smart snake? Even so if it can swallow the food backwards, it isnt really that stupid, although if it doesnt eat something it could from the right angle its 'special'.

my woma grabs it by the head, then looks for the middle of the rat tries to eat it from there, realises that doesn't work then goes the neck and wraps around it for about 10 minutes then goes for the head then swallows it. lol

My Green tree snake wont see food I dangle right in front of her. Even though she is food mode, she is darting about looking for the food she did see when I first showed her to get her blood going.
I like to try and "herd" her out of the cage with the food. She doesnt mind being picked up with a mouthful of food either, happily swallowing down a gecko in my arms ( I keep still).

So mine has vision dumness.....I am curious why its vision seems based on movement at the cost of seeing things when still.
I gues its why geckos like to run - stop run more and stop.

I have a spotted python so dumb, he once missed when he struck the mouse he had to eat, but got himself by the throat (somehow???) and then proceeded to fight himself bighting harder and harder till his body started going limp and let go of his branch, falling to the floor. At that point I stepped in with a teaspoon and unlatched his mouth carefully from his own neck. He ended up fine, but lost his appetite for a week and flopped around on the floor for a while before he caught his breath and went under his rock to sulk at getting his butt kicked by himself.

you can feed snakes geckos now? wouldnt that be a tad expensive?
my coastal is a cuddler...... with his food.he doesnt strike just latches on and is like hiiiii. lets go walks around takes another bite.... and then will eventually "force" it down.

Oh you guys make me feel soooooo much better. :) I thought it was just my boy who was thick. The way he goes about eating I don't reckon he'd last 5 minutes in the wild. :)

Ha Ha

I have a spotted python so dumb, he once missed when he struck the mouse he had to eat, but got himself by the throat (somehow???) and then proceeded to fight himself bighting harder and harder till his body started going limp and let go of his branch, falling to the floor. At that point I stepped in with a teaspoon and unlatched his mouth carefully from his own neck. He ended up fine, but lost his appetite for a week and flopped around on the floor for a while before he caught his breath and went under his rock to sulk at getting his butt kicked by himself.

That's awesome!!
Millions of years barely unchanged through evolution and probably the only animal that can bite itself on the throat!!!
Funniest thing i've heard for ages!

My Green tree snake wont see food I dangle right in front of her. Even though she is food mode, she is darting about looking for the food she did see when I first showed her to get her blood going.
I like to try and "herd" her out of the cage with the food. She doesnt mind being picked up with a mouthful of food either, happily swallowing down a gecko in my arms ( I keep still).

So mine has vision dumness.....I am curious why its vision seems based on movement at the cost of seeing things when still.
I gues its why geckos like to run - stop run more and stop.

They eat live animals such as frogs, normally chased down by sight, they will eat on scent alone but only if it tastes good. Your snake isnt exceptionally stupid its just snakes are adapted to certain things and have very small brains. Its good if you want to take pics of them or just watch them in the wild, you can sit a meter away and they dont even notice you unless you wave about madly like one of the puppets from team america.

Lmao... I've had the same thought about my Stimson, always appeared to have the same dilemma of going butt to face..............face to butt............butt to face...................... ok face it is!

Finally came to the conclusion that rat a-ss surely tastes terrible, and he's just tossing up whether to get it over with early, or enjoy the first part of the meal and be left with a "crap" taste in his mouth... lol

My coastal strikes the head hangs there for about 10 mins then reachs around and eats the bum

u sure it isn't blind :lol:
my spotted hasn't got her escape plan figured out yet, click clack lid came loose one time and made it so easy for her to pop up and escape, thank godness i was at home at the time, and when i went back in the room like an hour later to check on her she was happily sitting in her toilet roll :D
its either she is sorta dumb or she is likes her home

My male Olive , Ollie [ l know not very original ] eats every rat butt first . He is 7 ft and on large rats but if he grabs it by the head he will turn it around . Must be trying to prove a point ?

no he's not blind, can pot shot my hand from 2 feet away when he feels like having a no handling day, just the one time he moved too quick and then panicked and nearly wrecked himself.

To clear up the reason as to why snakes tend to go *** end first when feeding- that’s where the strongest scent is. Especially in male rats the scent is a lot stronger in females, so that’s why when a lot of pythons feed they tend to go for that end to start feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back