Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate several people have asked you to post
data, evidence and your creditials on several things
Those people being Waterrat, who I know has been in Zoology for 40 years, Eipper, who is a genius on and off the field and Gordo who is asking intelligent questions rather than posting BC.

All your doing is nit picking several points that you can half explain and leaving out several key points.
You also tend to make your answer ambiguous so that you can go back on them later like you have now and do a full circle whilst sounding "correct".

You would make a horrible scientist as you can't prove anything, reference anything, or back anything up with claims other than I know a bloke from a pub who said this.
Get your head out of your **** and stop annoying people

i realize now ,
you where abused as a child,
and the culprit was an Australian venomous snake

fortunantly Brown snakes,tiger snakes and death adders are incapable of hurting anyone cause google said so.

only Asian,African or the one American elapid do

have you thought about debating with Bryan fry on venom doc about your in depth understanding or David williams.
Or if they disagree with you will declare them not credible??

just a thought for you sunshine:D

I will repeat for the handicapped amongst us..No credible toxicologist accepts those tests for anything that isn't a mouse. And even if we were all mice they would still have plenty of flaws...and since we are humans the ld50 is an irrelevant joke of a test.
Who is claiming it to be anything different?

Whipdee do!!! And what are Cobras, Mambas, Kraits silly? I could have sworn they were neurotoxic aswell? Virtually every other continent has highly neurotoxic snakes to and unlike in Australia they actullay kill people and pose a threat.( 1 a year for "dangerous" Australia)
Who is saying that they are unique to Australia?
Neurotoxins are usually more lethal than hemotoxins( through not always and it depends on the snake) but neurotoxic bites are also easier to treat. In many instances all you need a ventilator to survive a neurotoxic bite.. Good luck finding a similiar machine to save you if you have a bad hemotoxic bite.

Many so venomous aussie elapids aren't even primarily neurotoxic anyway.

Their is nothing "often" about dieing from an Australian snakebite.. More people die of snakebite in Spain than in Australia.......Of course the excellent medical treatment in Australia and easy access to plentiful antivenom plays a big role in that..but still

And thank god for it too! Would you still claim our animals are lame if we didn't have such a good health system? It doesn't make our animals lame, it makes us smarter. ANd like i said, it is not a competition, Australian snakes are dangerous, so are other countries. Why does it matter so much to you?

Nope... Like I said if the scientific community actullay accepted those tests than I would just agree with them..unfortunately they do not and its usually just butt hurt aussies who want to brag to the world about their "deadly animals" when in reality their animals are relatively lame...But like I said feel free to keep exaggerating your animals to tourists.

You seem pretty happy to accept it when you can make your point from the LD50. You can't cherry pick from the available information.

You also love to miss the point that the LD50 mice test IS ALL WE HAVE. There is no other test available that shows the relative toxicity of snake venoms. Maybe when you finish your bio degree you can make your own test.

Yes it kind of is...Just like the "Box Jellyfish is the worlds most venomous animal claim"

Of course as I have stated 500 times already.. The taipan very well could be the number 1 drop for drop snake to humans in potency but it also could be number 25 for all we know...And the true answer is that we haven't got anything more than a slight clue which snakes have the most drop for drop toxic venom to humans..and we probably never will.
Like i said above, the LD50 is all we have to go on. If you have another test by all means, we are listening. In addition no one in this thread was making the claims you are trying to refute.
The made up part is the "this is the 4th most venomous in the world" where as it should read " it is a very venomous snake that can cause death....describing the symptoms of a bite etc etc)

And if your ignorantly enough to take the ld50 for gospel...for God's sake atleast quote it accurately. Australia has 6 of the top 10 drop for drop ( of the snakes that were tested and some werent)...Not 7,8,9,10.... At-least get the damn test right if your going to use it.

Should I fly to Australia for that hug.?But oh wait..no I can't!!!! To many dangerous animals that kill 1 person every 10 years over in Australia..Omg .it's to dangerous! Maybe if you fly to America you can give me that hug, but I'm not going to Australia! To many deadly animals omg!!

You are an ignoramous. You come into these threads and pretend someone has made a statment you can argue with. Then you make yourself look like an arrogant twat telling us things we already know with a smug 'look how smart i am' attitude.

Then when that isn't good enough you start making bold claims that animals can't be this or that and start ranking them in your own most toxic, deadly, dangerous blah blah but can't back your statments up with anything other than 'The LD50 test is only on mice and you're butthurt.'

In other threads where we are talking about solving some of our animal problems you decide to tell us that we shouldn't bother because Africa has worse animals!

Dead is dead, Lethal dose is lethal dose. Get over yourself and your Uni of Google BSc. You have some serious hang ups buddy.

Go and get some real life experience with these animals and then tell us how much your crap matters.

Good point, snake pimp. Leading venom experts from around the world talk about how dangerous australian animals are... but of course some american troll on a computer knows better. Obviously.

I think people are missing a few things, toxicity does not equal lethal, only the potential to be lethal, Australia has one of the lowest death rates due to snake bite in the world, we have more deaths from branches falling on people's heads.

LD50 values are only given as a guide to the potential of a toxin, they are not designed as a ranking system as the fundamental flaw is that they are not tested on humans or any animal resembling a human.

As Dr. Fry states in his opening statement in this link www.venomdoc.com/LD50/LD50men.html , dead is dead, who really cares about which is most toxic!

We have been telling mmafan this for a long time now. I remember his first post on this forum, which was in response to a thread of mine that said exactly that.

Mmafan is the one who is missing something, well no he's not actually missing something. He's making stuff up to argue with.

I think people are missing a few things, toxicity does not equal lethal, only the potential to be lethal, Australia has one of the lowest death rates due to snake bite in the world, we have more deaths from branches falling on people's heads.

LD50 values are only given as a guide to the potential of a toxin, they are not designed as a ranking system as the fundamental flaw is that they are not tested on humans or any animal resembling a human.

As Dr. Fry states in his opening statement in this link www.venomdoc.com/LD50/LD50men.html , dead is dead, who really cares about which is most toxic!

Nope...I have a problem with Australians over-hyping their animals...thats it...Other than that I like Australians and hope to visit the country one day.

Home-boiz wouldn't make it out here, mate. She's a rugged bit of bush that will sneak up on ya quicker than the dingo did Azaria. We don't have animals, we've got monsters.

I don't get how any snake is more dangerous than the other when you're talking about the big boys, not tree snakes and things (which can and have killed regardless of their "harmless" reputation).

You are more than likely gunna die no matter what bites you if you don't get any attention, and Australian snakes are bad ***. Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh not this again :lol:

The deadliest snakes are the ones found in countries with large populations and poor medical resources. As far as venomous goes, we've been through all this crap before :lol: As we have no other test available, the LD50 one is it.

We could test venoms on annoying yanks though :) That's got my vote! 8)

I still think that the most dangerous snake is the one that just gave you a nip

Some say Bin Laden was bitten by a deadly American rattler-snake and then, some time later, he died of old age.
Personally, I don't believe it.

nah MMAFAN baffled him with bull s ... until he committed suicide from frustration.....whats the old adage....don't argue with idiots...they will bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.....

So from 7 pages all i get is:

-Australia in general do have basic snake bite first aid skills and anti venom on hand which in turn means our snakes aren't dangerous,
-Third world countries do not,
-You fail to understand that there are large portions of Australia that are not heavily, or at all, populated and therefore many of our venomous, and non-venomous, animals are not regularly encountered,
-We are not stupid enough for the best part to go play with snakes if we don't know what they are, or swim with jelly fish,
-You need to be bitten by some tai's, EB's and of course jelly fish to make your arguement valid,
-The fact that we advertise we have a number of highly venomous, or dangerous, animals some how creates some awareness with locals and tourists. this in turn probably helps the fact that we don't have huge amounts of data relating to snake/jelly fish/spider bites, and deaths in humans. This may be a good thing, perhaps other countries need to raise the same amount of awareness,
-you seem to be taking on the role of the arrogant American who refuses to reveal their identity (this happens usuaaly a short time after we get rid of one)- luckily we have a number of good and imformative o/s members that contribute (including US members) so we don't have to assume you are all the same.
-And most importantly, most of us really don''t really care if we have the most venomous or not:shock:

flame away champ, i'm not a science student so i'm sure you'll lose me with your insults about line 3 ;)

Last edited:
nah MMAFAN baffled him with bull s ... until he committed suicide from frustration.....whats the old adage....don't argue with idiots...they will bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.....

Yep...Never wrestle with a pig, you 'll both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Mmafan,
Your not meant to drink the water in the bottom of the bong, once its black give it the splash.

Mmafan555,

I do apologise. I should have qualified my comments about venom toxicity varying geographically. I was referring exclusively to Australian snakes. My mistake.

There are indeed some major holes still, so it would seem. On the basis of closely related species and their ranking on the LD50 I suspect the top end would remain unchanged but that may not be the case. None-the-less I have some homework to do and I thank you for correcting my error.

When determining LD50 of Cobras, for example, do you know whether they tend to use the least toxic result or the most or simply random chance? Also, do you know how the variation in venom toxicity for the one species has been determined?

I can post numerous sources for both Australian and Asian/African/North American snakes that state that their can be a tremendous difference in venom composition across a snakes geographic range. I

Just the Australian sources would be very much appreciated.

...and most species of Bungarus has large distributions where they would unquestionably have a large variation in their venom composition and potency.( Most Bungarus species live in multiple countries)

Given that the main thrust of your argument is that the current method of measuring venom toxicity is “flawed”, how are you able to make such an assertive claim about the probable toxicity, and variation thereof, of a snake not even measured, using a “flawed” technique or otherwise?

The Phillipine Cobra is missing from the ld50 list also and it is an extremely venomous snake and probably the most venomous cobra drop for drop.

Again, given that the main thrust of your argument is that the current method of measuring venom toxicity is “flawed”, how are you able to make such an assertive claim about the probable toxicity of a snake not even measured using even a “flawed” technique?

I can't say one way or another how much use it has...but it has numerous MAJOR flaws..and like I have shown in the past all animals react differently to different venoms....and then you have the regional variation and the missing snakes.

I agree with you that there are clearly limitations to the LD50 and how it can be used. But I remain to be convinced that it has “numerous MAJOR flaws. Other than the potential variation in venom strength, would care to elucidate me on what the other flaws are? The statement that “all animals react differently to different venoms” is a gross generalisation. You can show me cases where it holds and I can show you cases where it doesn’t hold. I be happy to accept the middle ground that not all animals react to the same venom in the same way.

That people automatically equate the LD50 and the danger level of a snake to humans is incorrect. That, to my mind, is a separate issue to what you have stated. It is about how people make use of the LD50 rather than the LD50 itself..

But the highest of all snakes? I have absolutely no idea and neither do you.
The Taipan is different...It is clearly extremely venomous and possibly even number 1 in drop for drop toxicity to humans...I just can't say for certain that it is number 1 for humans and neither can you or anyone else. So those type of claims are misleading.

These two statements are contradictory – that is not at all helpful in establishing the voracity of your claims.

I don’t recall mentioning antivenom in my statement on the effects of an Inland taipan envenomation. That aside, allow me to rephrase it to get around the generalised term “catastrophic effects”. The bite from an Inland Taipan would require only a small injection of venom to produce fatal result (untreated).

You will get no argument from me on the effects of a full bite from any highly venomous snake. Dead is dead, not matter which species caused it. However, I went to some lengths to distinguish between how toxic, how venomous and how deadly. I totally agree with you that venom toxicity is only one factor out of many in the likely outcome of an untreated bite. On the basis of the LD50 alone, if I had to a bite from a snake that I was allowed to fend off with my hands (with the strong possibility of sustaining a glancing blow) it sure as hell would NOT be an inland Taipan. You may choose differently…

Well that will teach me not to compose my response off-site and then post without reading!

And all this time I have been labouring under the misapprehension that Australia’s Tourism Industry has been trying to down-play the image created as a result of the ‘most toxic’ or ‘most dangerous’ lists that have been created. Those that I have seen have seen have emanated mostly from overseas sites. Usually Inland Taipans, Funnel Web Spiders, Sea Wasps and Salt-water Crocs crack a mention and occasionally Great White Sharks, all of which are highly avoidable.

Bee stings are responsible for approximately five times the number of deaths due to snakebite in Australia and horse riding is nearly double that. If you really want to increase your chances of dying, go for a swim at the beach…

Blue

The ammount of moderator intervention in this thread really shows the esteem mmafan holds on this site.

Looks like he's gone off to lick his wounds.

I think he’s run off to patent his toxicity testing invention, the one that he uses to determine which creatures are more toxic than others, the invention that surpasses the current LD50 test. I think for now we could call it; The HypothesisYankfestTest555? Just in the interim mind you, until he comes up with his own patent label :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back