effect of saltwater pool water on young frogs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys well i felt like a swim today, but of course that didn't go to plan. first i notice a baby garden skink. i pulled him out, luckily he was just still breathing. braught him inside put him in my spare click clack then put my halogen desk lamp on low and stucka thermometer next to him(tried to keep it like 30'C) anyways hes good he got more active so i released him(hopefully far enough from the pool)

anyways then i go back to the pool to make sure nothing else has wandered into it, and of course i find a little baby brown tree frog. i put him back into the pond but when he kinda was upside down i was a wee bit worried about him so i fixed up the click clack with some pond water/treated tap water mix and put a rock in the middle of it and put him on the rock. anyways looking at hims closely it seems like he has no left eye :shock:

other than that i just wanted to know the effect that the pool water would have on the little guy.

andrew

Saltwater? I'd hazard a guess and say it would probably dehydrate him, as the water in his body leeches out.

Not a good idea.

:p

Hix

mmm ok well hes in the click clack with probably 1.5cm of water. i will release him tonight. if i had a suitiable food source for the little guy i would keep him for a day or two just to be certain. i will try to take a pick of him.

andrew

i have frogs in my pool all the time n they breed in there to they seem to b fine, neva left the eggs in there long enough to c if they would hatch but ive taken them out the pool and put them in a container n they hatched fine

aussiesnakelover said:
i have frogs in my pool all the time n they breed in there to they seem to b fine, neva left the eggs in there long enough to c if they would hatch but ive taken them out the pool and put them in a container n they hatched fine

A saltwater pool?

:?

Hix

Every frog that we find in our pool is either dead or dies. We have a low salt pool. Something to do with osmosis I guess. Unless you got to him quickly Andrew I think he would be a goner.

*censored*

least we a bunch more babies have been born in the pond. surival of the lucky...... interesting to know that the babie tree frogs are moving around now and not all of them are staying next to the pond.

hopefully the little guy won't die but well i don't have much hope for him.

andrew

Most frogs and tadpoles are unable to cope with water with over 9 ppm of salt.

not sure what the salinity of our pool is atm. probably lower than normal, had a bit of rain in melb.

andrew

Hi all

yeah pools can be dangerous, about two weeks ago i found a baby EWD floating near my skimmer box. i rescued him and released him out the front. but last sunday i found to EWDs in my skimmer box dead.

Cheers Aaron

Frogs n Saltwater, AS hix said, Dehydration and death most likely.

Hey Aaron, Still waiting to hear about the unsual bluetongue in your avatar mate????

forgot to say i let him go. he was still alive by the time it got dark so i put him back in the pond. though considering his wonky/missing eye i don't expect he will last too long. its a big wide world and i doupt all predators will be gracious enough to attack him from his left.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back