Enclosure... 500mm deep enough?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

I'm looking to convert an old wardrobe to house a sw carpet. It's 1200L x 1800H x 500D.
Can anyone tell me if this would work? It doesnt seem very deep. (I haven't got the Python yet, but I want it to be ready before I start looking for a specimen). Also any advice on heating? Would a heat lamp at the top be enough.. or should I use a heat panel low as well?

Thanks for your time ;)

depends what kind of snake and how old the snake is. sounds fine for a fully grown snake, but way to big for anything younger that 18 months. what are you looking at getting?

I was thinking a yearling Morelia Spilota Imbricata. I've been trying to find out as much as I can from previous threads and reading books and the like about them. I've often read about the younger pythons not liking large enclosures. Why is that? Surely they have lots of room in the wild? I'm a newbie so sorry for the dumb questions!

Thats something i've also wondered, Snowman, I was told by a friend that they'd be a lot harder to find in a large enclosure, but thats not a feasible reason I think. Especially when people say young snakes dont actually like the larger enclosure.

As I was told it is a big scary world for a small snake and they feel alot
safer in a small enviroment.

I hear ya Squeal, but what do they do in the wild? Must be a something I'm missing here!

i recently converted a similar sized cupboard, i'm using a heat panel only now, i did put a light fitting in as well but its way too hot,...

he loves the heat panel, it gives off such a gentle comfortable warmth,....and i love it cos i dont have to change expensive blown globes every week or 2!!

i ended up drilling 50 holes in the top to let a bit more heat escape, i had been told a large tank wont need vents, but thats a load of bs.

Attachments

• LokisNewTank_1.jpg
    LokisNewTank_1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 109
in the wild a baby once hatched will go off and find a nice safe hidey hole and there they stay and hide, waiting to ambush any prey that come their way. at this age they are at the bottom of the food chain, to birds, reptiles, ect. this is why they'll strike at anything that comes along, it's also their defence, so they stay hidden until they get larger when they no longer feel threatened. a click clack just gives them the same feeling of security

Probably the same thing. Find somewhere small and hide.
Remember if something as big as us pick thems up in the wild
it is not to hold and admire but to make them the entree
for its daily meal.
Also being in new household, yours, there is going to be a lot
of strange noise and activity, especially if it is your first like ours and
you can't stop going to his house just to look at it, which may also stress
them till they get used to it.
It is easier to keep a lookout for something nasty over a small area than a large one.

Is there any particular age that they should be placed into the larger enclosure, or is it more about size? My Spotted Python is around 40cms atm and I'm not sure when I should be putting her into the larger enclosure.

thanks tenacres! That was the sort of answer I was after... Makes sense :)

Looks awesome Chris1.. what do you keep in there?

some young snakes like a big enclosure though... my diamonds been in 1200x600x400 since little and he's happy going up and down it exploring everything. though i do think it depends on the individual snake.

thanks Snowman,...i have a 3 yr old bredli in there. :)

he started in a 120x40x60 tank from 2 months old and was fine with it,...just put lots of hides in if u want to use a big tank for young snakes.

snowman, 50cm should be ok as you have good length and height so they have lots of climing, but don't go much smaller. put hides at different levels as well, and try your heating before you fix it in place you may have to move the basking shelf to get the temps you want

Is there any particular age that they should be placed into the larger enclosure, or is it more about size? My Spotted Python is around 40cms atm and I'm not sure when I should be putting her into the larger enclosure.

do you already have an enclosure? what size are you going to use?

I do, I have a 5'x2'x1.5' enclosure, that is completely set up with two hides, a water dish, branch, and heat lamp. I currently keep her smaller container inside the large enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back