Enclosure size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
serpenttongue said:
one thing i would like to add is that diamonds dont need a lot of height. Sure they will take it if offered, but its not necessary.

Have to disagree with you there serpenttongue. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I disagree.

There's a tendency for diamonds to lose muscle tone and become rather flabby at around 6 or 7 years (some people call it Diamond Python Syndrome) and I believe it is because the snakes don't get enough excercise when they're young. Yes, it's possible to keep them in a tank 70cms high, but I believe a vertical tank with a height of 1 - 1.5metres would be ultimately better for them in the long run.

I was discussing this with Dr Peter Harlow last year and he was saying he thought along the same lines, and he wished he had the time (and the funding) to do a proper research project on it.

Again serpenttongue, I'm not saying you're wrong - 'coz I very well could be - but I just wanted to give Wombat a differing view so he can make up his own mind. :D

seprent-tonguey said:
It can be hard to create a thermal gradient in a cage that has too much height.

if you have the heat lamp at the top, and the vents about a third of the way from the bottom, you'll get a nice vertical gradient. :)

:p

Hix

A HUGE THANKS and a little idea

I'm not sure how much heat mats are but if you want to save money in that department you can use an electric blanket. I did that when matilda was only 4 months old and was still able to fit inside a toilet roll.
As for buying books, well after being a member of APS for just on 6 months now, i feel as though i've read a few books without even realising it. The reason being: Everyone's generosity. Although there are a few arguementative people around, everyone i've spoken/typed to has been nothing short of sensational. I haven't had one question go unanswered, nor have i only ever had only one opinion to make my decisions from.
Thanks to every member of APS that has helped me out over the last six months of my introduction to herping.
YOU GUYS ROCK.

RE: A HUGE THANKS and a little idea

Hix, indeed you could be right there. And i guess i would believe anything Dr Harlow says. Although i have always felt that the cause of Diamond Syndrome is no exposure to sunlight and/or being kept to warm indoors, not from lack of exercise. In any case i take your wise words on board.

RE: A HUGE THANKS and a little idea

And with that attitude Jet u deserved all the help you got.

serpenttongue said:
Hix, indeed you could be right there. And i guess i would believe anything Dr Harlow says. Although i have always felt that the cause of Diamond Syndrome is no exposure to sunlight and/or being kept to warm indoors, not from lack of exercise. In any case i take your wise words on board.

Both Peter and I were hypothesizing. Until some sort of scientific testing is done, it's still just a belief. Unfortunately, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence and other views and beliefs floating around and a paucity of hard facts.

Diamond Python Syndrome is a colloquial term that appears to be given to Diamonds that don't do well and lose condition after a few years. There are probably different factors leading to different problems, and they are all lumped with the same name. Exposure to UV/sunlight is probably important, as is cooling them in Winter (although Peter suggests keeping hatchies warm in their first Winter). How important each is, and the effects of not providing those factors, remains to be seen.

Incidentally, Peter said he would like to look at all three factors in conjunction with each other when researching. The problem is he will probably need over a hundred hatchies in order to get any kind of statistically significant results, and have to rear them for many years (probably seven or more).

Hix

You mentioned cooling in winter. this winter coming will be matilda's first winter. How low should i let the temp get?

In response:

It makes sense to me (albeit, with an untrained eye) that diamonds would do better with more UV light, exercise and winter cooling.
We've taken nature out of it's habitat. Wouldn't it be obvious that we should be doing our best to replicate it's normal habitat BY cooling them down in winter and giving them as much NATURAL sunlight as possible. And exercise, well Matilda and I watch tele eachnight, except for when she's eaten. I think this is really important, they obviously don't have to search for food anymore because they know that at 6pm on sundays the silver tongs come down out of the sky.

Menagerie said:
Lucky you wombat! Enjoy your snake!

I haven't got one yet. My licence will take about 3 weeks to come through. Maybe looking at getting a 4 month old (5 month old when/if I get it) if I can raise the money.

I have ordered the following books from The Herp Shop:

CARE OF AUSTRALIAN REPTILES IN CAPTIVITY, by John Weigel. $20.00

THE GUIDE TO OWNING AN AUSTRALIAN PYTHON, by John Coborn. $22.00

I should have them next week. The second one on Hix's list is very hard to get and the bloke at The Herp Shop suggested the second one above.

Cheers,
Wombat.

africancichlidau said:
Here's a couple of pics that might help.

Diamonds are meant to be climbers aren't they?

I can see what you mean by size but there's not much hight for them to climb.

wombat said:
The second one on Hix's list is very hard to get.

Really? Maybe in Victoria, but every petshop up here has them, retailing from $14.95 up to $30 in someplaces.

You can buy them online from their website, for just $12.95.

The website is at www.reptilepublications.com.au

and the specific page is at http://www.reptilepublications.com.au/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

And I just noticed there's a section in the back of the book on Diamond Python Syndrome (pg 40).

Hope this helps Wombat!

Hix

Hix said:
wombat said:
The second one on Hix's list is very hard to get.

Really? Maybe in Victoria, but every petshop up here has them, retailing from $14.95 up to $30 in someplaces.

You can buy them online from their website, for just $12.95.

The website is at www.reptilepublications.com.au

and the specific page is at http://www.reptilepublications.com.au/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

And I just noticed there's a section in the back of the book on Diamond Python Syndrome (pg 40).

Hope this helps Wombat!

Hix

Thanks Hix. I have had a look and bookmarked the site. I will order it a soon as I can afford it (later this month).

I still have heaps of questions but will wait until Ihave red the books before asking. :wink:

Cheers,
Wombat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back