Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

horseychic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
we are looking at getting a stimsons python soon so we are building a enclosure and just have a few questions that someone might know how to?

The enlosure is made of teak wood tv unit, do we need to seal the wood with pondtight or would it be better to line the inside with melamine? also where would you put the vents up the top or side? the lights are going up the top and we are going to do sliding glass at the front. Also would fake grass be a good base for the snake i would probably do a couple of pieces so can interchange for cleaning.
thanks in advance

i Just finshed building my enclosure or second. i would put the vents one either en. the one on the cool side high and on the heated side low. I'm not a fan of fake grass just me though. i use bark or sand. my macs really enjoy it.as for melamine not to sure i usually cover the walls in a background and vynl the floor for cleaning.

As for how to seal it, use a clear timber varnish, 3 or 4 good coats allowing it to dry. vents, down low on the warm side, up high on the cool end. For substrate i use marine/outdoor carpet from bunnings for my snakes and playsand from bunnings again for my dragons. fake grass if it comes apart wouldn't be good for your python if eaten, but plenty of guys use it so....

Chase.

You'll probably find that the tv unit is already sealed and i wouldnt worry about the melamine. There are a few options with vents, but the general rule is put one high on one side and the other low on the opposite side. As far as which is on the hot side gets complicated according to your needs. If you need more airflow put the high vent near your heat source, but if you want to run a smaller heat source put the high vent furthest from your heat source. A good quality fake grass(the long multicoloured green /brown ones) from bunnings is fine as I havent seen a snake that eats grass yet......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back