Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreliaMatt

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all, just wondering how 2 male eastern water dragons would go with 2 beardies?

the ewds have been housed together and inside...
i have an outdoor enclosure that im putting up and am going to put the ewds in to... was wondering how they would go if at the same time i introduced a couple of bearded dragons?

cheers

Matt

I'm not an expert, but they have bearded dragons and a water monitor together in an enclosure at australia zoo, so if the animals have the right temperament it should work

As long as the enclosure is large enough it shouldn't cause too many problems.

:p

Hix

I have a 6ft Exo-Terra Flexarium housing two yearling EWD's and a inland beardie, and i gotta say despite what people have said i've had no problems whatsoever they get along great. I'm even considering getting a mate for my beardie (should my parents allow it).

A few pointers though, (this is all advice given to me by various people);

a) make sure it's a big enclosure.
b) make sure it receives alot of ventilation.
c) ensure that you keep one end slightly (and i do mean slightly) colder than the other end.
d) provide various basking areas (i know this one is dead obvious but it makes all the difference).
e) make sure you monitor their activity quite regularly for the first week or two (just to makesure they settle in).
f) keep your eye on the humidity.
g) Provide a reasonable amount of plant life (this is one thing i've picked up on) EWD's love to hide and prefer a fair bit of shade.
h) make sure you have a decent sized pool area for the EWDs to swim around in during the summer months (you'll probably find that they will sit in the water even during the colder months as water maintains a constant temperature).
i) provide some branches for the beardies (as the love to just laze about sometimes).
j) regularly clean out the water pool for the EWD's

That's about all that i can suggest, in my short time keeping reptiles i've found that aslong as you keep an eye out, things will tend to keep themselves in check.

Matt, should be fine with them in there, some blueys should be fine in there aswell. But the one thing that concerns me is that the male waterdragons may fight.. i know they have lived together all there there life. But if there aren't gong to be any female water dragons i would thinks it would be ok.
cheers

Matt, should be fine with them in there, some blueys should be fine in there aswell. But the one thing that concerns me is that the male waterdragons may fight.. i know they have lived together all there there life. But if there aren't gong to be any female water dragons i would thinks it would be ok.
cheers

you know your spot on there, introduced them to a new outside enclosure together (the 2 male ewds..... and lets just say i spent an unpleasant night in the emergency vet on sunday night....

the small male now has 3 legs :(

i have had a blue tongue, a bearded dragon and a shingleback that live together and have done for over 3 years. i could never seperate them as they really do get along great. dispite what some people say about mixing breeds, there realy isnt anything wrong with it, as long as you moniter there progress they should be fine.

i have had a blue tongue, a bearded dragon and a shingleback that live together and have done for over 3 years. i could never seperate them as they really do get along great. dispite what some people say about mixing breeds, there realy isnt anything wrong with it, as long as you moniter there progress they should be fine.

good call. I always try to look at them as though they are people- some will get along and some wont. as melgalea said the key is observing on a regular basis and preventing problems before they escalate....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back