Exotic pet story on 10 news

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bump73

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just thought i'd let all know theres a story on exotics coming up on ten news

Ben

lol encouraging people to take there exotics to vet if sick...

Nice looking chameleon on it that was apparently dumped because it was egg bound

egg bound chameleon. didnt suprise me it was in melboune.

they didnt realy push the point that the chameleon is ileagle.
and why are they treating them?
they shouyld all be put down.

Very confusing broadcast. Got the feeling that exotics were legal (as no mention on being illegal, nor any concern from these vets regarding exotics being in our country). If anyone didn't know better they'd think it was okay.
How disapointing

I would like to be a vet, "sorry this one wont make it"(past the freezer). We are going to have a really big problem if keeping these illegal animals becomes more acceptable. Keepers of these animals need to be severely punished and/or they need to be allowed to be kept under very strict regulation.

The worst sort of criminals are idiots with potentially invasive species. Sure some ppl who keep them can look after them and stop them from escaping, the majority of ignorant criminal scum who keep them are a completely differant story. IMO they need to start shooting ppl who import them and have similar punishments for those illegally keeping, breeding and selling them. I cant see anything other than a massive increase of ppl keeping them and with that will come more species being established in the wild. Anyone keeping nasties like red eared sliders should be shot on sight(by the relevant authorities) IMO.

Not to go into an argument, but the main reason for the article is to make people aware that ALL animals are by law required appropriate vet/medical treatment if ill or injured no matter the origin of said animal. Under the Prevention of cruelity to animals act, it is an offence to with hold such treatment. There is alot more I would like to say about it being so called "illegal" to keep exotics, but doing so would cause to much grief. So bascially what the article wanted to point out was instead of just dumping the animals because they are "illegal" take them to a vet for treatment and leave them there.

I would like to be a vet, "sorry this one wont make it"(past the freezer). We are going to have a really big problem if keeping these illegal animals becomes more acceptable. Keepers of these animals need to be severely punished and/or they need to be allowed to be kept under very strict regulation.

The worst sort of criminals are idiots with potentially invasive species. Sure some ppl who keep them can look after them and stop them from escaping, the majority of ignorant criminal scum who keep them are a completely differant story. IMO they need to start shooting ppl who import them and have similar punishments for those illegally keeping, breeding and selling them. I cant see anything other than a massive increase of ppl keeping them and with that will come more species being established in the wild. Anyone keeping nasties like red eared sliders should be shot on sight(by the relevant authorities) IMO.

I get you point cris , but all the gun talk lesson's the maturity in what you're saying imo .

I get you point cris , but all the gun talk lesson's the maturity in what you're saying imo .

If you travel a few hundred k's out of Australia you will find that ppl are still being shot by firing squads, perhaps Indonesians are immature aswell :? I realise capital punsihment isnt coming back, its just the most effective way of upholding the law, 0% reoffenders and the probably the best deterant(the main role of punisment). It would only take one person to be executed (or other decent punishment) for the whole country to take notice and realise it is very serious. At the moment its more like "oh its illegal but it doesnt really matter aslong as you take them to the vet when they are sick", punishment is usually so trivial from what i have heard it might as well be legal. This is going to be a massive problem in the future if the current attitude/approach is kept.

Another scenario to consider, some inconsiderate criminal takes a recently imported animal to the vet because it is sick. The vet is foolish enough to get involved and ends up transfering the pathogen(virus, parasite etc.) on to the next persons animals. I personally think its completely irresponsible for vets to do what is shown in this story, they should really sit down and have a think about what they are doing, the lack of quarantine was absolutely shocking. From what i remember the reporter was even handling the animal. Sure it was probably multigenrational CB in Australia and probably had nothing of concern but how the hell would they know?

why would you dump a chameloeon you bothered importing illegaly from who knows where

Maybe it is a ploy to catch people out.?

Like when the police send letters to wanted criminals stating that they have won something, the criminals then show up (obviously not considering that they have not entered any competition) and get arrested. :p

why would you dump a chameloeon you bothered importing illegaly from who knows where

you don't have to import them nor are they hard to get, they and a heap of other exotic reptiles are being bred in good numbers over most of Australia.

Re reading the information in the link posted earlier I suspect it is the typical confusion introduced by the journalist or author of the article. Brendan is obviously mostly working with (legal) zoo animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back