Exotic pet story on 10 news

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you don't have to import them nor are they hard to get, they and a heap of other exotic reptiles are being bred in good numbers over most of Australia.
i work in the aquarium trade and what i see at some of the houses that i go to is unbelivable u can get just about any type of reptile from any where in the world as there is that many different speices here and there are lots of people breeding them

eik. I read about this in todays herald sun. Only just realised it was someones pet and didn't belong to the zoo! There was nothing in the paper about it being and illegal exotic.

wonder if the owner will get the cham and the eggs back :p

that was my vet!! the reason they didnt put them down is because its not the animals fault its in australia.

Tell that to the cat haters, both would be a threat to the environment but it seems most people only target the cats :rolleyes:

Umm i believe there are colonies of RES and Corn snakes that have aclimatised to the Australian environment and are now living quite happily within Australia. Adult Red Eared Sliders do kill turtles smaller than them

Umm i believe there are colonies of RES and Corn snakes that have aclimatised to the Australian environment and are now living quite happily within Australia. Adult Red Eared Sliders do kill turtles smaller than them
Granted red ears are doing that..lol your correct!
But snakes and lizards like I said, corn snakes??? tell me how thay are devistating our native fauna?
Chameleons are the topic here anyway!

Last edited:
Again, like I said, it's not the issue of exotics, more the uneducated view of certain people that gets my goat up!

Their are places now within australia where corn snakes have acclimatised and now breed. Im unsure of the impact this has on the environment but i assume there is some. It really should come as no surprise especially considering the ammount kept and readily available within Aus.

Their are places now within australia where corn snakes have acclimatised and now breed. Im unsure of the impact this has on the environment but i assume there is some. It really should come as no surprise especially considering the ammount kept and readily available within Aus.
I have read of "A" place...singular(correct me if I am wrong), where someone allegedly has seen wild corn snakes,but how do you assume that they have had an impact?
Just a hunch, because they arent native to OZ, or you know of the predatory traits of the Corn Snake..lol
Mate, again I don't disagree, but don't try and cram that crap down our throats because it is politically correct. Factual evidence is what most people want to get before an educated opinion can be forthcoming!

Last edited:
Just by being part of our ecosystem they must in some way affect our native wildlife, even just in order to sustain themselves. The natural prey of the cornsnakes, amongst other things are lizards. I agree that without further study i cannot inconclusively say that they affect our ecosystem in a bad way, but surely you must agree that if a species is introduced into any foreign ecosystem it will affect the natural order in order to survive.

Just by being part of our ecosystem they must in some way affect our native wildlife, even just in order to sustain themselves. The natural prey of the cornsnakes, amongst other things are lizards. I agree that without further study i cannot inconclusively say that they affect our ecosystem in a bad way, but surely you must agree that if a species is introduced into any foreign ecosystem it will affect the natural order in order to survive.
Sure, I agree, they have to eat, so they will "eat" a native specie of course they will, it's the only food that's available, but it does not mean that they have had a negative effect on our native specie, the food item that that prey on may not be endangered...
This is the argument, an exotic specie having a negative and detramental effect on our native specie.
Good points though lector, but I don't agree!.
Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back