Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookie

Reaction score
Does feeding while sloughing or prior to slough hinder the shedding process?

I've heard stories of this - with multiple reasons behind it (such as the new skin hasn't "set" yet or they have trouble getting it over a bulge) but have been unconvinced so far.

In my experience if the snake takes the food then it is fine. I find if they aren't up to it they just turn their nose up. I have fed before shed with no adverse effect and have also thrown a few rats to other snakes because they have been rejected by the sloughing snakes.

Anybody care to shed some light on this? Maybe people whose snakes have had ill effects due to pre-shed feeding or people who have fed without aforementioned ill effect.

Ive had feeding close to a shed become a bit of a problem.
Where the rolled-up shed stops at the bulge and isn't able to keep rolling back.

Where the rolled-up shed stops at the bulge and isn't able to keep rolling back.

For years ive been snakes prior to a shed cycle,sometimes a day before.Ive had NO problems with doing this.If the snake takes the food item,well all is good.Not once has it been a issue with the snake not getting the slough off.IMO its a "Old Wives Tale"...

Taken in perpective, it could possibly be true. In the right circumstance, say immediately after feeding a moster of a prey item, I could immagine it happening. That said, I have fed regardless of shedding condition, with never a problem. This is up to including accidentally feeding on the day of the shed. One of my coastals had just got the item down and immediately started her shed. She had no problems though I don't recall it being a particularly large food item. These days however, I use the shed cycle as an opportunity to let them clear their system, with no food being offered during this period.

i feed at any stage of the shed cycle, and have never had any probs, that being said i prefer to use multiple smaller food items so theres never really a MASSIVE bulge, just a lump.

It is all relative to the food item fed. If it is a small food item and produces minimal to no bulge, it won't affect the snake and you are probably underfeeding it depending on circumstance. If it is a large item and creates a noticeable bulge in the belly then it can cause problems. I feed my snakes on X night and if they take it they take it, if not they get fed next time around. I have only had a few issues when snakes have not been able to complete their shed cycle due to food items in their belly, so it can and will happen. I have always just assisted the snake in getting the skin off, no problems other than that, provided you check your animals the day after feeding.

It depends on the species and the foot item. I have a photo here somewhere of a juvenile Coastal Taipan with a rolled up slough stuck firmly against a recently consumed food item. The snake had to be restrained and the slough cut off so it could get past the bulge.

This has happened a few times with some of my snakes as well... They have fed just before they shed. a few times the shed skin had to be cut otherwise it would of cut circulation.

i feed at any stage of the shed cycle, and have never had any probs, that being said i prefer to use multiple smaller food items so theres never really a MASSIVE bulge, just a lump.
same here , iv never had an issue .

Mixed reviews. Well it seems to be rare (more common with large food items) but definitely not a wives tale. Mystery solved :D

This has happened a few times with some of my snakes as well... They have fed just before they shed. a few times the shed skin had to be cut otherwise it would of cut circulation.

same here , and the food item wasnt that noticable . I also fed a jungle 1 night and it shed as it was eating , looked like the food pushed the shed off :) . If you are going to feed before shed i would check an hour or 2 after to see if it is getting stuck .

cheers nico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back