Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but they haven't charged him with cruelty due to live feeding, they have charged him with cruelty due to cat feeding.

I lived in the Territory, and the number of snakes that I saw eat kittens and pups, chicks, roo kits, you name it. But i reckon this is a different thing...........

Like instar said
Any live animal has atleast a chance of escape in the wild. feeding an animal, especially one the snake would not normally encounter, in captive conditions seems a bit unsporting to me

At least humanely kill the bugger first!! In the wild, at least they had a decent chance to prove themselves worthy of freedom!! If not, nice sunny spot, and digestion!!! 8)

Yes I know Magpie. The gist of the story is that folk feel feeding a kitten is cruel. The law makes no distinction between animals allowed to be fed, is what the bloke is saying. Good point too. the law regards any other issue is black and white, no shades of grey, so why allow vague unspoken general agreement to be used a a point of law, with this issue. How though, do you legislate which animals are exceptable to be used to feed another animal, and which are not.
The issue of live feeding itself is apparently not a point the law is pushing in this case. Which is what seems strange to me. Are this placard waving mob saying, feed any other animal alive but not kittens? some strange folk out there eh?

Re: feed cats

instar said:
why did you post that fuscus? really! :?

I post things like this to provoke discussions (and I don't beleive in censoring information), IMHO there is no real difference between feeding any live animals to your snakes, something still dies and something gets to eat. At least in OZ the law is sort of consistant, no live feeding of verterbrates to snakes. But we may use live fish as bait and that can easly be viewed as torture.
There is one good reason not to feed pet animals like kittens to reptiles - self-interest. Joe Public views the life of kittens as important (despite the huge annual abandonment and slaughter) , it would give pollies a excuse to ban or restrict us further.

The interesting part is that he regards it as his constutional right - Only in America :)

Fuscus mate, see me waving my white flag? lol my point there was that you started with
"this will stir the pot" ...???? I reckon this particular pot has already had the B** stirred out of it mate. Theres not much new to be said unless some laws change eh?
Peace Brother! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally I think live feeding should only be a last resort but when necessary so be it.

Legally the guy is pushing some interesting points and I'll bet the protesters wouldn't have been as vocal had it been a feral kitten.

That is really wrong and sad!! How can some people feed kittens and other animals to the snakes? How dumb is that!!

Shaun

"Thompson, however, has argued that the law is clear enough for an ordinary person to know that feeding a kitten to a snake is cruel. The public clearly recognizes a difference in the treatment of cats and other animals, especially rodents, he said"

feeding ANY animal LIVE to a snake is cruel...it shouldnt matter what it is. i dont see why a cat would feel more pain that a rat. these days my opinion is that as long as its killed humanely (assuming you're not attempting to feed endangered species or anything :? ) then its fair game. i could never feed a cat to my snakes but thats just me having had pet cats all my life. :)

spottedpython said:
i think the only reptile to eat a puppy would be probably the amethest python ancondas retics burms and probably the olive python i could be wrong

I can attest to a 2.4 m 8.5 kilo olive being able to eat a puppy.
Two rottweiler puppies to be exact.
Fancy finding that in your breeding establishment. One unlucky caller did.

Its the live feeding thats the problem in this story.
Peter

spottedpython said:
i got told cats can kill snakes

so can rats!!

what it boils down too is if the animal is killed in a reasonable way then its a lot better then putting it through pain, and this is regardless of rats/mice/cats/dogs.

How I understand this story is, that this guy feed that kitten in front of people. He was a store owner and I think that he should have better taste not to do that.
That is bringing the point I raised before. It is nothing bad to feed live pray if you have to doit, but sometimes people do this for wrong reason.
Some people like to show off, or enjoy this scenario them selfs.
I am sure that if he feed the animal atre he closed his shop, nobody would be ofended. Any decent person would act that way, instead of showing the kitten in destress situation.

it is against the law for a female to by there hubby a hat in QLD.(this law was past by a grumpy law man some time around the 1940s, after his wife purchased him a hat he didnt like)

there are many laws wich need changing but it cost to much to pass them through parliment and rewright them. but the fact is that it is law.....
if there is no clear distinction between the animals in this law about what can and cant be feed and how, then no charges should be laid untill the law is amended to cater for this senerio.
it may be WRONG in some people version of public veiw but it is clearly not against the law and there for he has been charged for somthing that is not not against the law ?!?!

OK now - if i was afended by some one grining at me and took it to court and the judge had the same frame of mind, do think it fare to charge the man who grined at me? even when he clearly knows its not agaist the law to grin ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back