Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i HAVE A TINY LITTLE RACK WITH HANDCUFFS TO HOLD THEM STILL WHILE I SLOWLY WHIP THEM TO DEATH . THE HARD BITS ARE GETTING THE LITTLE LEATHER BOOTS ON THEM AND GETING THE SMILES OFF THEIR FACES SO THE SNAKES DONT THINK THEY ARE BEING LAUGHED AT . THAT MIGHT GIVE THEM A COMPLEX AND WOULD BE REALY CRUEL .

I'm a little more subtle than you are, I tend to leave little obstacles lying around at the bottom of their ramps etc The other thing I tend to do is remove the stickers from rat-head height around the glass of their enclosure! There is no death more swift than that of walking through the equivelant of a two-storey glass wall! ;) Thank God there is no such thing as ROH&S! (Rodent Occupational Health & Safety) at my place!! All the fuss I've read!!!.....really!!!! ppffffttt! :D

If I had to kill Phar Lap to feed my dog I wouldn't do it, but if I did keep a dopey dog, YES I would kill things for it to eat if I had to. CO2 is starving the rodent of oxygen, stick YOUR head in a plastic bag for a minute or 2 and tell me thats not painfull!!!!! This is really ridiculous, If you cant' deal with snakes eating, DON'T KEEP THEM!!!! A healthy snake will kill it's prey just as quick as CO2. Yes it does hurt, but the snake soon alleviates the rodents pain by killing it LOL. Just deal with it. Freezing them is CRUEL, whacking them on the head is about the quickest way and least painful. CO2 is what most people prefer, that's their choice. My choice is to let the snake do it. How you do it is your choice. I am not picking a fight as each to their own!!!! What I am saying is there is no point in jumping up and down about it. Thats about all really, deal with it and get on with our lives. Just keep our herps healthy!!!!!

Last edited:
If I had to kill Phar Lap to feed my dog I wouldn't do it, but if I did keep a dopey dog, YES I would kill things for it to eat if I had to. CO2 is starving the rodent of oxygen, stick YOUR head in a plastic bag for a minute or 2 and tell me thats not painfull!!!!! This is really ridiculous, If you cant' deal with snakes eating, DON'T KEEP THEM!!!! A healthy snake will kill it's prey just as quick as CO2. Yes it does hurt, but the snake soon alleviates the rodents pain by killing it LOL. Just deal with it. Freezing them is CRUEL, whacking them on the head is about the quickest way and least painful. CO2 is what most people prefer, that's their choice. My choice is to let the snake do it. How you do it is your choice. I am not picking a fight as each to their own!!!! What I am saying is there is no point in jumping up and down about it. Thats about all really, deal with it and get on with our lives. Just keep our herps healthy!!!!!

Feeding live is taking a risk for your herps health........

OMG stop posting the same stuff in here, no one wants to hear about how absolutely heartless you are. We have already been over all this stuff for CRYING OUT LOUD, FOR LACK OF APPROPRIATELY EXPLETIVE WORDS. You shldnt be allowed to keep a snake, feeding live is DANGEROUS. We have BEEN OVER THIS ALREADY. Just stop posting wat you believe to be insightful commentaries they're just regurgitated garbage which shows a complete lack of maturity.

LOL. I don't keep a snake...i keep several. Am i the only one on this site that admits to feeding live? At least i don't freeze the rodents to death...they die in a natural way. When you are the boss of this website and the god of how reptiles should be kept i'll keep my opinions to myself. Until then - i'll post my opinions as you post yours. Hope you're having a great night.

And for the record....i only own one snake that i feed live to, until he can be persuaded to do otherwise and i don't see anything wrong with it. The rest are happy to have freshly donked on the head rodents.

Sorry, edited my post wen i saw that u hadnt sed wat i thought u had, oops, lol.

Hehe, i don't ;) Nah i wasnt trying to be nasty, sorry if it came across that way, the gold coast obviously has different regs to over here in WA, havnt heard that one before, tho, that you're allowed to if they don't take it any other way. That sort of snake shldnt be a pet to begin with, altho you can't realy control that can you. All for captive breeding over wild-caught.

And it isn't actually illegal at all....

Code of Practice
36.3 "Wild pythons will usually kill their prey, however it is prefereable to feed freshly killed prey to captive pythons, as live prey have the capacity to injure, mutilate or even kill captive snakes"

So where does it say it is illegal?
For christ's sakes - stop proclaiming it to be illegal when you don't know poo about it.

Teni

Well aren't u an open-minded and accepting individual ;) I can see that trying to explain things to you will gain nothing, rigidity can be helpful in interrogation, but not in debates where both sides hope to learn something. Anyway enough preaching, it's illegal in WA, illegal in NSW from wat i've heard, i think to be sure i would check with your council on those laws. The point isn't the letter of the law, there are reasons it exists, not all of which i know, but one of them is that it is dangerous. As already sed in this thread, live feeding is NOT an accurate emulation of the wild, as much as you will argue against it.

What are you trying to explain to me? I haven't read anywhere in any of your threads that you have been trying to explain something to me...

I don't need to check with the laws. I know them. I keep reptiles and i am obliged to know and follow the guidelines.

I never said live feeding was an accurate emulation of the wild - but it is closer to nature than feeding frozen/thawed or freshly killed.

There is a risk to the snake yes - but if the snake refuses to eat any other way than live what are you to do? Force feed it or "assist" feed it which either way is more stressful than letting it do it's own thing which is hunt and kill?

Dude, i've been keeping reptiles for a long time and can argue my opinion for a long time. I am not in a debate to learn things LOL. I'm here to give my opinion and the facts...didn't know i was debating. I was merely defending being told that i shouldn't own a snake because i feed live - which is legal here.

I have had alot of dealing with queensland parks and wildlife and the RSPCA. I know what it's all about, I know my rights and obligations as a reptile and rodent keeper - hell, even just as a general pet owner.

What do u want to pick on now?

I'm abiding by the law and doing the right thing by my herps. None of my herps have ever been injured by my doings (intentional or unintentional). My herps have a great life ... as good as it can get when u are in captive rather than in the wild so just let me have my opinions and keep doing things the way i do them which works best for me and my animals. When i do something illegal or if i allow any of my pets to be harmed in anyway well then u can blast me - until then - back off cause you hace no idea what you're talking about and u have no right whatsoever to tell me i shouldn't own a snake.

I think that a lot of people (especially new keepers) do not realize how rare it is for a snake to receive an injury from live prey. In the past I have fed thousands of live rodents to reptiles and have never ever seen an injury because of it. Clearly snakes are very capable predators. If done sensibly the risk of injury is very rare.
This is not to say that I don’t prefer to feed dead where possible and indeed promote this practice for several reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back