Feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey, im goin to try feeding me SW carpet for the 1st time since buying him, i heard some people feed in a diff enclosure than theri normal home, is this a good habit to do?

I do this with my beardies...

its always a good idea to feed um outside the cage so they do not think everytime the cage opens food is coming in.my buddy used to feed his in the cage and one day he put his hand in had got a nice little bite on him.

I feed all mine in and out of their own enclosures, and it doesnt seem to make any difference.
The reason I feed some of them out of their enclosures is that I house more than one in a particular enclosure, and it makes it easier to be only feeding one at a time.
They are fine with that

i think it depends on the individual snake

i feed my Murray Darling in her enclosure but have also previously picked her up to clean with the smell of rat all over my hands and she didn't care one bit so.... i might be really lucky.

If your South Western Carpet is cage defensive, its probably best you use a separate enclosure to feed.

Someone had a good point the other day that i liked.
1. People say that if you feed them in their enclosure they think that every time you open the door they think its feed time.

2. If you feed them in a seperate container then they think that every time you get them out its feed time.

Two good points, I feed mine in their enclosures and havent been bitten yet

Personally i wouldnt for the 1st feed as you will decrease the chance of him eating.
I also think the advantage of feeding in separate containers is overrated. It isnt an issue if you opening the cage often and dont feed as most new keepers do this to handle and clean the enclosure.

Someone had a good point the other day that i liked.
1. People say that if you feed them in their enclosure they think that every time you open the door they think its feed time.

2. If you feed them in a seperate container then they think that every time you get them out its feed time.

Two good points, I feed mine in their enclosures and havent been bitten yet

Very good point there , so if you look at it that way then it makes no difference .
I used to get mine out to feed her in a seperate container but got sick of the hassle so i just feed her in cage , as i have done with all the others i have had in the past .

OK, I know this may open a can of worms, but i have and do occassionally feed mine whilst he is wrapped around my wrist. I still dangle food with tweezers to not get the smell of food on me. But creates a challenge for him to weave around and grab the food. I make sure he licks the food and i keep it close to his head so he doesn't miss the strike. I tend to change locations where he feeds most of the time. Sometimes on his mat in the garden where I supervise closely (watches the sky), sometimes feed in an open top click clack.

I don't think feeding in the enclosure is a bad thing if you have a few mouths to feed (and as long as they are in separate enclosure), but seeing as I only have one at the moment, I believe a change in venue and stimulating him to move about before feeding gives them a bit of a excercise and a challenge before he is fed

well since ive had Taz I have always feed her in her tank havent had the oppurtunity to be tagged yet but it will happen i guess some ppl have thier own ways in feeding thier animals each to thier own i say :D

on the in or out discussion, someone mentioned take them out before a feed and then feed them once you put them back in... so they dont think feeding is the moment the door slides... when the less snappy ones i dont think it matters that much *shrugs*

Sweet, thanx for all the replies...I only feed my beardies in click clack so the food cant hide etc...

I used my judgement with my snakes temperament and fed him in his enclosure....he aint very cage defensive so i thought it would be cool...I like the idea about feeding in dif areas etc so will prolly change venue sometimes when feeding, i like the idea of feeding on ya arm adbacus...hehehe

Well it was his 1st feed, i was a lil worried about him potentially refusing (although he showed he was hungry) cos i only had him a week now...BUT he ate like a champion...IM SOOO EXCITED that he ate properly...lol will post pics later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back