Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a old pair of kitchen tongs .... we also dont share with the snakes ....
their aim can be off last time i was feeding my young yearling .... she missed and ended up giving herself a bite in the excitment of the moment for food .... lol ....

I use those soft rubber kitchen tongs that way if misses and hits the tongs she shouldn`t knock her self around too much. When I got her she wouldn`t strike but now she does every time. I also feed her in her enclosure and have no problem. whether I`m opening the door to handle or feed she has two totally different reactions. As soon as she smells the mouse she knows its feed time and is nearley coming out the door before I open it.

jordan wait till they get alot bigger hun, u dont want to have a adult miss u and get your hand...one hell of a bite. lol.
cheers
mel :D

hahaha

I use tongs for my little ones cause I have been bitten and had my finger eaten by my little yearling capie it hurt a lot. but with the big ones I just grab the rat dry it off, grab it round the back legs (nothing more discusting then a rays tail skill sliding off YUCK!!!. and yeah never been bitten from my big ones and they are fast but I don't fully open the enclosure and I wait when there not leaning on the door of the cage.

mind you my adult cape yorks are agressive things and love there food. I only use tongs when I have friends or family round to ease there fear of me getting bitten and how grose the think handling a defrosted rat with bare hands is...

In my experence it pays to when feeding first get in the habbet of not feeding in its enclosure and feeding with tongs. In young pythons with heat pits to try plastic as it will not cast as big heat signature which makes it easer to target food article held with in them.

I ALWAYS feed outside enclosure. Makes less mess stops them swallowing sand and no striking snakes when you try to get them out!. I do Womas and BHPs on Newspaper on the floor. As soon as they are placed on it they get all excited. The Carpets get fed off a feeding perch (like u put a parrot on).

I would say depends on the snake how you would feed it. Hatchlings get scared VERY easily so i had to feed in a container for a bit first then slowly got them used to eating infront of me try dim light as well seems to help and be slow and still in the beginning. And id never force a feed if they to nervous to take it then id just leave it so as not to upset them. Patience and after 3 goes and your off! (with exception to the woma who would eat ANYTHING ANYWHERE ANYTIME!!

Yes i do feed by hand. Have i been bitten? Yes. They do miss when bubbas sometimes and it looks cute but the bigger the snake the bigger the bite and if you never had a snake before its probably best to use the tongs until u are experienced. My BHP purposely lunged at me in the beginning because he was being a defensive baby but now hes used to me and never misses (what hes aiming for)

I feed all my snakes with tongs/tweezers and I feed them all in their enclosures (I personally dont think feeding them in or out makes a difference to their temperament). All of mine only get excited if they can actually smell food.

I dont know about all you people that feed by hand...wait till you try and feed a big scrubby, olive or bhp by hand, you will soon change your ways ;)

I feed all my snakes with tongs/tweezers and I feed them all in their enclosures (I personally dont think feeding them in or out makes a difference to their temperament). All of mine only get excited if they can actually smell food.

I dont know about all you people that feed by hand...wait till you try and feed a big scrubby, olive or bhp by hand, you will soon change your ways ;)
True the bigger the snake the more aware you have to be when feeding by hand but it comes down to what your comfortable with .I have more dramas hand feeding my little spotted than i do with hand feeding my big Olive ,Srubby and Coastal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back