Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southside Morelia

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is probably not the best section to post this (should be in Wanted to buy) but , I thought it may get the best exposure to a possible scam which may leave the unwary vulnerable.
This may not be a scam but it smells a bit, especially after I had asked alot of questions without satisfactory answers from the Author.
Please, let me know your thoughts!
To explain thus far. I placed an ad for WTB Cape York Coastals for my colection and got the following response...

judith wrote:
>
> Hello
> I got a call from a friend in Brisbane who saw your ad and he gave
> your address. .Well as a matter of fact I have a pair and I am having a
> lot of difficulties taking care of them because I am busy with a
> project with WWF.We are tracking a rare bird specie called the
> Bannerman's turaco here in Cameroon.Please I have been looking for
> someone to adopt them .We are so busy with work such that we hardly
> have time for them.that is why we have decided to give them for
> adoption.Selling animals is not our thing and we feel it is not
> right.My wife and I have decided to give only to someone caring and
> serious.I just shipped one to my friend and so asked him to get someone
> who needs them too..I was in Brisbane recently but as earlier mentioned
> I am now out of the country with my wife for this project.Please if you
> are interested then reply me OK so we can arrange on how you can get
> them.I will like to know the kind of accommodation you have and your
> experience.I am
> willing to give you just the one you need but it will be a relieve for
> us if f you can accept the pair..Please we will be grateful; if you
> take care of the shipping fee.We paid approx $320 to ship the pair to
> brisbane.It might a bit higher or lower depending on your location or
> nearest airport from where you can pick them up.Please get back to us
> if interested for details.We have one two other suitors.
> Thanks a lot and just hope I found the right person
> Best regards
> Judith and Roland

I don't know seems fishy, to me. After I asked them a list of specific questions, where they got them from, how much, where are they now etc etc, the questions could not be answered.
My advice for anyone wanting to purchase, talk with the seller first, or preferably purchase from a reputable seller/breeder.
I hope this has helped anyone who has been approached or is thinking of putting a WTB ad!
Cheers..:?

I've seen the same email that was sent to a friend in response to a 'WTB coastal carpet' ad :shock:. I remember thinking it sounded really weird and was wondering how they thought they'd get someone to pay over $300 to ship them lol

year youy just pay me $320 to ship them and there yours, i dont think you should do it
lol, I personally wouldn't have a bar of it, but if it helps some of the newer ppl to the hobby, that's good and my intention. I was trying to be a little serious after just coming back from suspension!
It may be from the same ppl that wanted investors to invest in their gold mines in cameroon which was circulating years ago, or maybe from the ppl that were seeking genuine lonely men for husbands for the woman in cameroon, "send us the money and we'll fix you up", the list goes on.:lol:

Herpie boy, i'll pass on the details!

lol :lol:
Here's the email that I got back on the 24/3/07:

"Hello
I got a call from a friend in Brisbane who saw your ad and he gave your address. .Well as a matter of fact I have 2pairs and I am having alot of difficulties taking care of them because I am busy with a project with WWF.We are tracking the bannerman's turaco in Cameroon.A rare and lovely bird specie found only here and no where else in the world.Ever heard of it?Please I have been looking for someone to adopt them because my love and closeness to them wouldn't let me sell.My <http://sell.my/> wife and I have decided to give only to someone caring and serious.I just shipped a pair to my friend and so asked him to get someone who needs them.I was in Brisbane recently but I am now out of the country with my wife for this project.Please if you are interested then reply me OK so we can arrange on how you can get them.I am also Licensed keeper.I an RKL (Class2 License).This will be alot easier since we are both Licensed keepers.Please we will be grateful; if you take care of the shipping fee.Shipping fee is actually approx $350-$400 per pair.Since you are willing to sure it is both male and female,I hereby attach pics of a pair copulating.I took pics some few days ago
Thanks a lot and just hope I found the right person
Best regards"

I thought that he must have been over seas with work but that his friend might arrange the freight and export permit etc so I sussed him out further.... hey, I coudl have been a good deal :p

He then sent me:

"Hello Rebekah
The females are are averagely 6.8feet while the males are slightly above 6feet.I feed them on frozen thawed rats(averagely sized as big as the biggest part of the snakes) every 10days approximately.They are close to 7' and I have had them now for 3years.
I will like to let you know that I am not selling but will like someone who can care for them to adopt them.I wish I didn't bring them here and I it is quite a task for me to work and care for them.I was hoping youcould just assist in paying for their shipping.I will like to use the shipping company that shipped them here for me.However as a last sign of love to the snakes I have decided to propose the following.If you can make available the sum of $300,I will complete the cost and ship to you the two pairs I have here with me.Their equipment and relevant documents.
What do you say"

To which I basically said, thanks for your time but I'm not risking my collection for the sake of importing a few coastals!!

I'm glad that you thought to post here scm1 ;)
Bex :)

welll, it just cost me $85 to ship 2 snakes (spotteds) too cairns, from Brisbane..

so yea, depending on WHERE it's coming from, I wouldn't be surprised at shipping costs.
but yea, reads dodgey, poor grammar and spelling from supposed professional people..

easy, ask for a local number, call them, ask for address and then have a security check run on them ;)

It sounds like they are coming back to the country after being overseas. This sounds suspect as I don't know if anyone is allowed to take them out of the country and even then there would be customs on the way back in. Sounds very dodgy to me.

He clearly says in his second email to me that they're over seas with him ;) I don't think it's worth the risk.
I don't neccessarily think that it's a scam thuogh - this guy could be 100% genuine that he has the snakes and is wanting to sell them. Think about it, who would waste their time trying to scam someone out of $300 lol, it's not really enough to justify your own time lol.
I just don't think its worth the risk of loosing your whole collection if you get caught having them shipped to you ;)
Bex

it would be soooo much more beleivable if they asked for money for the snakes instead of wanting them to go to a "good home" LOL what a couple of twats!

Sounds like a scam (or some very expensive shipping at the very least), but a well researched one. Have they said where they're located? It sounds like they want you to believe that they have these snakes over in Cameroon. If that's the case, you won't be able to get them into Australia at all.

Out of interest, where did you guys post your WTB ads? If they were on my site (AHC) I'll put a warning about this possible scam on there.

Stewart

dodgy plus

Just sounds like someone who trawls around the internet looking at wanted ads then says hey I have got what you want...just send me some money ..cause they know it works with some people.
They have no idea of the correct reply to give ie. the fact that the snakes have to originate in Australia and they are just trying to reply to what you want so you will give them money.
Come on don't anyone touch this with a barge pole.
You don't actually think they have snakes that need a new home do you????

Sounds like a scam (or some very expensive shipping at the very least), but a well researched one. Have they said where they're located? It sounds like they want you to believe that they have these snakes over in Cameroon. If that's the case, you won't be able to get them into Australia at all.

Out of interest, where did you guys post your WTB ads? If they were on my site (AHC) I'll put a warning about this possible scam on there.

Stewart
No, it was on petlink.
I concur, the snakes are OS with them, how considerate to take them on a work assignment, a happy family it seems, it must heart breaking "adopting" them out... In my reply after finding they were in Cameroon, I informed them that they would not been able to export them to Australia as well as a few other facts!
Doesn't it suck that these predators have tried to infiltrate even this hobby, what a sad state of affairs!
Thanks for the amusing replies guys and gals!:lol:

Stewart

Hi Stewart :)
I placed a wanted ad on Petlink, here and my own website, so AHC doesn't have a problem ;)

And Chris, yes I think that it's entirely possible that he has some snakes to offload, but as a I said a few posts earlier, I wouldn't be willing to take the risk to find out! ;)

Bex

Ok, so let's say this bloke even sucks in 10 people. Thats $3000, lot of money in Cameroon. Sadly there are gullible people that are preyed upon and are willing to part with the cash.

The thing is, the ppl of cameroon are well known for having dodgey internet scams. I would suggest never sending money over their, this guy from cameroon tried to buy our ps2 for way more than what its worth. Sounded dodgey from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back