Female woma making hissing sound upon feeding......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
No concern at all but certainly a first in this household. I have had Jaffa, our male for close on a year now and had never made a hissing sound when he's in the feeding tub and consistently know what to expect upon feeding time however tonight I got my female woma, Amber out and placed her in the feeding tub ready to devour 2 x velvet rats.

As I was ready to introduce her to the first rat she was 'S' ing up and making a hissing noise. Obviously not abnormal but just something I'd never heard before.

Actually sounded like one of our cats hissing.

Any other woma owners have similar experiences with their's????

nope my boy is quiet, never makes a sound and devours his food as quickely as possible.

My bhp's hiss. As if to say 'don't steal my food' or 'stop harassing me'. Haven't experienced the same with my womas tho.

Interesting, didn't realise they hiss. My girl is silent, even when feeding or trying to eat my hand.

Our bhp hisses if you try to pick him up when he's having a poo on the lawn. Fair enough really. I'd hiss too :)

Yep, my female Woma will hiss when in strike mode. It's becoming less frequent as she gets bigger.

Maybe it is a hatchling thing, I got my woma as a yearling and he has never done it but by brother in law's hatchling woma did it really bad with striking and my hatchling BHP does it a little bit with the occasional strike. I have also heard a large coastal carpet hiss as well but she never strikes.

I have heard all my womas his at one point or another, even as adults. I don't see why that's an amazing or odd thing though

But why dont they herss?

Cos it's harder to do with a forked tongue :p

One of my Darwin's did it often at 3 mths old - all bluff and bravado - he sounded more like a deflating balloon but he certainly seemed impressed with himself !

My Jungle hisses at me as if to say "Bugger off if you know what's good for you". Mostly during shed but also sometimes when I've offered a second food item.
Still takes the food anyway though. So I don't know why the Jungle makes a big fuss about it. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back