"Feral" is a term used too loosely here

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it funny that you'd consider what sssssnakeman does is inhumane or even 'feral'.

You find it funny that I have a problem with him running over cats with his car?

:?:?

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time defending cats.

No one has the right to kill another person's pet and that's what this whole argument is over not completely feral cats who live solely in the bush and have no owner. I have no problem with anyone humanely shooting them, but we are talking about domesticated cats.

No one has the right to kill another person's pet and that's what this whole argument is over not completely feral cats who live solely in the bush and have no owner. I have no problem with anyone humanely shooting them, but we are talking about domesticated cats.

I automatically get the right to kill someones pet when they assume that they have the right to let their cat kill native animals. The solution is blindingly obvious - keep cats inside!

You find it funny that I have a problem with him running over cats with his car?

:?:?

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time defending cats.

What would you do if someone kept toads? And there toad was out walking...?

So long it's humane and the cat is a danger to our environment....

i'm goin to a new sport in jan, any1 want to come... it's stray pig shooting

only good cat is inside the yard.... or a dead 1 outside. feel the same about all feral / stray animals. they hunt and forage to survive... result is wildlife mutilation
thread.gif
Dead bluey and pics. WARNING Graphic stray animals are a possibility for these poor things

Sorry but if another persons cat is in my yard or the surrounding bushland then to me it is feral and fair game.Who gave the owners of the cat the right for it to roam wherever it wants to roam and do the things that cats are driven to do?

Exactly.
What the cat is referred to is just semantics.

Saw a cat this morning on the front lawn with a young honey-eater in it's mouth.To me that is feral, it should not be let loose and I won't comment any further!! :evil:

Sorry but if another persons cat is in my yard or the surrounding bushland then to me it is feral and fair game.Who gave the owners of the cat the right for it to roam wherever it wants to roam and do the things that cats are driven to do?

with ya on this 1 bud.... but there are feral people out there that need a bullet to

If it doesnt have a collar its feral and its the right thing to get rid of them. When you consider how many animals cats kill the arguement that its wrong to kill them because it causes an animal to die is pretty weak.

Well, I used to have cats, and I love them, but my daughter has an allergy to their hair, so we got a dog instead.

I am VERY pleased I don't live near Cris- I have tried and tried and tried but my dog keeps ditching her collar... Would she be classed her as feral and killed too??

Come one people- where is our consideration and tolerance??

I have a friend with two cats- which she watches carefully, and I gave my Javanese kitty to a friend and he kills all the rabbits, rats and mice within cooee of the station home... Yes unfortunately he does get the odd quail, but some people feed them to snakes- should their snakes be killed too? And if a hatchling snake comes through the houseyard? Well he gets it too (before the humans do!!). I have never seen him pull on the big BHP pythons that visit...

Cat, Dog, Rat, Snake, Horse, Cattle, Bird, Guinea Pig, Lizard, Gecko... What is the common factor????????????????

THEY ARE ALL ANIMALS!!! They ALL deserve care and consideration. How can anyone claim to love an animal, but want to kill others??

I HATED rats- I have ever since I was a little girl and the one I was trying to rescue out of the Pollard drum bit me... But I have them now for my snakes... and you know WHAT?? I think they are cute, and kinda funny... But they still smell weird!! I don't want to have to be the one to kill the mommies and the daddy later on, but I can't have them forever, I know... But I guess I have a very weird thing called FEELINGS and COMPASSION!!

FLAME ON!!

There is no real specific or precise definition for feral cats..
by any government department that ive checked.
They don't revert back to a "wild type" in the same way pigs
do with easy to see morphological differences.
However i think a stray cat is for all intents and purposes
fair to call feral..

From: A Dictionary of Zoology | Date: 1999 | Author: MICHAEL ALLABY |Dictionary of Zoology 1999, originally published by Oxford University Press 1999.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O8-feral.html

you contradict yourself Australis......... you say all cats should be termed feral yet in the piece you cut and pasted, it states feral is a WILD state.............and no domesticated animal can be termed feral.

"‘wild’, an adjective applied to a wild or undomesticated organism. In particular, the term is applied to wild strains of an otherwise domesticated species or to an organism that has reverted to a wild condition following escape from captivity,"

......................and thank you, Wildstorm.... hear hear!!!!!

Yes all animals deserve care and consideration, native animals are important to our ecology and if another animal poses a risk to this, then it needs to be eradicated.

Wildstorm, you're point about snakes killing quails is just idiotic.

Feral kids are the ones that need culling ..... and there is plenty of 'em out there.

This thread is feral ..... my lunch today was feral ...... This chick that came into the shop yesterday to buy some crickets was feral .... yeah, the term feral does get used a bit too much... :p

I am VERY pleased I don't live near Cris- I have tried and tried and tried but my dog keeps ditching her collar... Would she be classed her as feral and killed too??

Come one people- where is our consideration and tolerance??

I have a friend with two cats- which she watches carefully, and I gave my Javanese kitty to a friend and he kills all the rabbits, rats and mice within cooee of the station home... Yes unfortunately he does get the odd quail, but some people feed them to snakes- should their snakes be killed too? And if a hatchling snake comes through the houseyard? Well he gets it too (before the humans do!!). I have never seen him pull on the big BHP pythons that visit...

Cat, Dog, Rat, Snake, Horse, Cattle, Bird, Guinea Pig, Lizard, Gecko... What is the common factor????????????????

THEY ARE ALL ANIMALS!!! They ALL deserve care and consideration. How can anyone claim to love an animal, but want to kill others??

I HATED rats- I have ever since I was a little girl and the one I was trying to rescue out of the Pollard drum bit me... But I have them now for my snakes...

i own rats. i owned them before snakes and swore i'd never breed them for snake food. well, then i got bit by a juvi coastal python i saved from the neighbours shovel, yes i kept him for a month and fell in love with snakes then got my permits to do the right thing and released him away from the city, he's now a regular visitor around my beach house up north and is still cute, (if it is him) looks like his markings at least... rats are cute and smell less than mice by far. i know people that have cats and am living with some right now. i have considerable tolerance for all animals exempt those that have strayed, gone feral... yes some can't help how they got feral but thats human fault, not thiers.... it is however the animals problem when it's not native to the environment and posses pressure on native animals and vegitation.
i understand the whole your ment to be an animal lover consept your saying... but yes, i am an animal lover, but more so for the native wildlife. if my dogs were to attack and kill an animal without my say, they would be in ****. if they strayed and i found em 5 months later in the bush, well sorry they're then feral. and i would expect them to be shot, not that i would do it, but i would expect it for sure. they cause to much pressure on our delicate eco system in australia, but we are the worst for that. i know i was till 1 day i woke up. and i thank that python for that!!!

oh and the we feed quaills to snakes.... last i checked i feed captive bred 1's

I know this may be a hard pill for the bleeding hearts to swallow, but a goat, pigs, rabbits, camels, horses and such are all considered feral once they break captivity and start to fend for themselves long term. Why is that cats owners think they are any different to any other pet or livestock owner, and that their animals are allowed to roam without boundaries, to hunt and defecate wherever they please? Why are there households and childcare centres out there who have sand-pits with cat presents left in them, and they dont own cats themselves? Why do other responsible pet owners come home to find their rabbits, guinea pigs, and in my case once my bluetongues killed, but not eaten, sometimes just their brains eaten.... find bird carcasses and feathers strewn all over their yards, though they never own a cat? The answer is, because the majority of cat purchasers arent cat owners.... they just bought an animal smart enouh to remember where an easy feed is, that they have little to no responsibility for otherwise they wouldnt let them fornicate, defecate and annihilate wherever they please....

I have been doing my bit to sort cats out for a very long time now, cats with collars used to be dropped at the pound.... how times have changed.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself a cat person, but would never hurt one, or any animal for that matter (I can't even fun over toads in my car!). But I just don't understand how people can own a pet and knowingly let it run around outside their yard. Whether it be for the local wildlife or the sake of the cat-a pet should be kept in doors or in their own yard!
On topic, I wouldn't consider these cats to be feral, just a nuisance. I do feel sorry for the cats that are constantly out roaming the streets though-its not their fault, they just have very irresponsible owners, and that's what gives cats such a bad reputation!!

I know this may be a hard pill for the bleeding hearts to swallow, but a goat, pigs, rabbits, camels, horses and such are all considered feral once they break captivity and start to fend for themselves long term. Why is that cats owners think they are any different to any other pet or livestock owner, and that their animals are allowed to roam without boundaries, to hunt and defecate wherever they please? Why are there households and childcare centres out there who have sand-pits with cat presents left in them, and they dont own cats themselves? Why do other responsible pet owners come home to find their rabbits, guinea pigs, and in my case once my bluetongues killed, but not eaten, sometimes just their brains eaten.... find bird carcasses and feathers strewn all over their yards, though they never own a cat? The answer is, because the majority of cat purchasers arent cat owners.... they just bought an animal smart enouh to remember where an easy feed is, that they have little to no responsibility for otherwise they wouldnt let them fornicate, defecate and annihilate wherever they please....

I have been doing my bit to sort cats out for a very long time now, cats with collars used to be dropped at the pound.... how times have changed.

to true and excellent piont here. do we buy vens to let them roam the street and stike fear into those that don't like em'. no we keep them contained and under eagle eye's when they're out. that's because a majority of snake owners are responsible pet keepers. besides, reptiles are better pets anyway. lol i'm watching a cat now at our door wanting the finches just outside so bad.... proves they are instinctual killers to anything that moves

meh, either way, any stray cat that enters my yard, and gets caught, goes into one of my snakes.
you can't keep your cat contained, tough luck.

Feral is a term used to describe some of the bi-peds who wonder around the streets where I live ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back