"Feral" is a term used too loosely here

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it doesnt have a collar its feral and its the right thing to get rid of them. When you consider how many animals cats kill the arguement that its wrong to kill them because it causes an animal to die is pretty weak.

Quite wrong , generally if it isnt micro chipped or have the the old style tat in the ear it MAY be feral , or the owner has not bothered to get it done, but in no way am taking the side of cat lovers i am a dog man through and through .

I automatically get the right to kill someones pet when they assume that they have the right to let their cat kill native animals. The solution is blindingly obvious - keep cats inside!
could not agree more . cat inside is a pet . cat outside is feral .

IMO cats are registered to the local council and an address is provided for their residence. If a cat is found off its residence it should be deemed feral , caught and impounded as per local Govt rules. Pet shops should not be able to sell willy nilly cats to any body. Far too many cats in Aust , i myself have one and she is an inside cat.She goes outside for a total of 2 hours a day and is supervised( metal fences help)

Our Number 1 priority should always be Indiginous native animals, and if another animal is negatively affecting these then something needs to be done about it. Humanely of course.

And just another point... In this age of technology, there are 'bird collars' that stop or reduce the number of birds a cat can catch. Another friend of mine has one for her cat, coz the 10 bells she put on the collar didn't stop it catching birds or lizards. She said it still catchs the odd bird until she put bells on the collar/flap too!

A bell/s on a cats collar will not stop it catching birds or other wildlife! But I know something that will!............. a brick!

And I am a PROUD supporter of 1080 use in the outback- it kills as many REAL feral cats as it does Dingoes, and Pigs. To be very honest- I know for a fact that some of our so called 'feral' cats when I was a young girl on a cattle station were really the dumped kittens from people in the area... So this will upset 'the bleeding hearts', but I totally support 1080 for true feral cats that are in the outback, not the dumped and neglected animals around towns.

I have 3 cats none are feral in fact they all sleep next to the bed at night with me.

My cats have never been allowed out 1 time in there life. The only time they have been out of the house is in a carry cage to the vet for there check up.

I can proudly say my cats have killed no native wildlife.

I think if all people did this then the issue would be resolved.

I believe no cats should be allowed outside at any time.

If the governments get of there *** and make it law that no cats are allowed outside then i believe that will go a long way to help fixing the problem.

Dogs on the other hand even if confined in a backyard can kill native wildlife so i would actually submit that if a cat is housebound it is less likely to kill native wildlife than a dog backyard bound.

I believe "feral cat" refers to a cat which is not used to humans and is not owned and is at large.

I support the shooting of all wild cats.

Off track but...
And I am a PROUD supporter of 1080 use in the outback- it kills as many REAL feral cats as it does Dingoes, and Pigs.
Dingos are a native dog ,
when an animal has been in a country for 20,000 years give or take,it is a part of its environment.
Its all about eduation.

What would you do if someone kept toads? And there toad was out walking...?

So long it's humane and the cat is a danger to our environment....

How is running over a cat with a car humane? The cat most likely won't die straight away and it will be in agony.

You people have a funny idea on what's cruel and what's not.

I wouldn't even run over a toad with my car!

All you BLOKES who so proudly sprout off that you kill cats because they are endangering the native wildlife need to grow a set and admit that you just hate cats. If it was the environment you were so worried about, you'd be out there making a real difference instead of terrorising poor cats for the fun of it.

Makes you a real man (not)!!!

If it doesnt have a collar its feral and its the right thing to get rid of them. When you consider how many animals cats kill the arguement that its wrong to kill them because it causes an animal to die is pretty weak.

Dont agree with that, my cats dont wear collars however they are all microchipped.

All you BLOKES who so proudly sprout off that you kill cats because they are endangering the native wildlife need to grow a set and admit that you just hate cats. If it was the environment you were so worried about, you'd be out there making a real difference instead of terrorising poor cats for the fun of it.

:):) your funny jewly

I have a decent set thank you very much.I also happen to hate cats specifically because they kill for fun.I have spent a lot of time,effort and money encouraging native wildlife to set up residence in and around our backyard and I'll be stuffed I will allow any roaming cat to come in and do the things that come naturally to them.

Your house must be a treat for the olfactory senses.... :shock:

No if you vaccume every day and clean the litter tray 3 times a day there is no odour.

I guess though people are to lazy to do this thats why they let them out.

Just read this post as a one post only, Snakeman is ,does and always will be out their for the enviroment. He rescues ,rehabilitates and releases well again native animals of all genera not just snakes.
Yes opinions are greatly divided and greatly emotional on both sides . But lets just relax and not get sucked in

I agree with jewly.

Other animals are just as capable of killing natives, they just arn't as precise.
I like most animals, besides maybe mosquitos, they just **** me.
It's human beings who are at fault for introducing animals like cats and foxes, but it doesn't mean the animal it's self is BAD OR EVIL, they are just fit for survival.

and to whoever is admitting they kill cats to 'better' our environment, like jewly said grow some man. I for one am more concerned about the fact that our forests/bush land is being cut down, all well and good saying cats kill natives, might help if they have somewhere to live though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back