Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what would you get?

• childrens python

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • jungle python

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakebraa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok so the tital basicly says itt.

i really want to get a snake and the two that
are shining out to me is the jungle python
and the childrens python(jungle is what i really preffer). for soem reason
these two snakes look amazing to me and
are the only two i am willing to get.(and no i cant get both. :(.)

ive done alot of research on them both and ive heard nothing
but good feedback about childrens pythons, but when it comes to jungles
alot of people dont recomend them to beginners because they are 'snappy'
and then alot of people are saying they are fine as a begginners snakes and
they are just snappy at younger ages and grow out of it the more you handle them.
and older they get... i really will not mind putting in the time and effort to make
my jungle as placid as it can be because its the top choice of snake i want.

so im just wondering what would be the best choice for me to get? and are jungles really
this bad at bitting as people make them out to be?

thanks.

I thought the same about jungles after researching them but after actually seeing one and handling one in the flesh, I couldn't see how they got such a bad rep.
I've only kept two Jungles and both are calm as and only one has struck at me (but that was my fault... )

On the other hand, my mate has a Childrens that I wouldn't touch unless I wanted to lose blood lol.

That thing just bites whenever you go near it no matter what.

Each snake is different. What you need to do is decide what you want based on husbandry requirements etc. make sure you can look after it, then go and find one that you can handle if that's what you want.

There are a lot of breeders out there who breed jungles that are quite placid.

But like you said, it is only natural for most hatchlings to be snappy but they can grow out of it.

It sounds like you really want a jungle python! I think you should get that then, don't worry about them being snappy; that's just a generalisation made about jungle pythons, but it comes down to the individual snake. I know people who have snappy Stimson pythons but the most friendly, gentle Jungles. Find a breeder/keeper who's selling jungles you like the looks of and pick out a snake that seems calm.
If you get one as a hatchie then you can handle it enough so it (hopefully!) will calm down and the bites shouldn't hurt much at all.
I think a jungle would be fine as a beginner snake, as long as you're willing to put in the time and patience to make it as at ease with you as possible.
Best of luck mate!

Sounds like what you want is a jungle, so get what you want. If what you REALLY want is a jungle and you go and get a children's just cause people say they are less snappy.. You're gonna find you'll be kicking yourself saying "Damn.. Wish i had got a jungle instead" every time you see a thread with all the lovely jungles going around here :D. Trust me you will lol.

Besides, snappiness is more an individual trait. You can find a calm jungle if you take the time to look for one, just see it in person to judge it before committing to purchasing.

I read on SXR once that a Darwin is not a good first snake as they can be quite aggressive. Luckily when I fell in love with the picture of my first Darwin Smij, I had completely forgotten reading that. I now have three and they are all the most placid awesome snakes. The smallest one tagged me once because I startled her but the other two never have. So, it is really down to the individual snake, I have read many, many posts on here about how calm peoples Jungles are so as stated before, look around, find a nice one and it will all be good.

just to make a different suggestion, im going a blonde spotted look so much nicer

i would say a bredli or coastal carpet.! SOME jungles has nasty attitudes and never get rid of them. i have 2 hatchie bredli's at the moment and yes sometimes they snap but not all the time.... i also have a big coastal and she is a complete darling. :) big puppy she is.

cheers

ive got 3 jungles and they are great the two tiny bubs are a little nippy but really are quite good compared to the childrens i used to have... he was nasty

If this is going to be your only snake, then get a Jungle. Trust your gut.

Yes, some are snappy - BUT if you get one from a reputable breeder and don't rush and get impulsive and get the first one that comes along at a pet store, then you will be able to find a really nice one. My advice is to be very patient when looking and if it means waiting for several months, it's worth it.

I got one that's from SXR (Southern Cross Reptile) lines, from a seller via these forums, which are known for being a little bit more placid and I'm thrilled with him.

Don't get me wrong, I need to be calm, slow and very patient with my little fella, but that has resulted in not being bitten since the first day I got him (my fault anyway) I know people say that it doesn't hurt, but it's not the bite that's the problem, it's them striking - it can be very intimidating as they're just SO fast, so I understand where you're coming from. I will avoid being bitten if I can help it.

With my Jungle, I have learnt to read him. Yes he gets grumpy if I disturb him, but lots of snakes are like that, you touch them and they zoom away really quickly as if to say "what in the buggary are you doing!" I just let him know that I'm there and he is an angel once he's out of his enclosure (or Click Clack - read the thread in the DIY section, it's a good read and has lots of photo's and info) he can zoom around a little bit if I touch him and he isn't too keen on it, but he really has been a pleasure.

I was also warned off getting a Jungle due to their nature, but I just thought they were so pretty that I'm glad I stuck with my instinct and got one - couldn't be happier! (and can I admit something, it's actually pretty cool that Jungle's can have a bit of a temper, noone else will be game to go into it's enclosure will they??)

Best of luck with whatever you choose and keep reading this forum, there's heaps of helpful information :)

EDIT: Where abouts are you located?

Last edited:
thanks heaps everyone, i think im just going to grab a jungle and put in the time and effort it takes with it to settle it down if it is snappy, ill be sure to look around and find a good placid one tho:)

also does anyone knows any breeders around gold coast/brisbane (qld) areea?
im a newby nd dont know any atm :(:(

from what i keep hearing atherton jungles are just as placid as alot of other breeds its the palmerston (smaller breed) that are the evil ones,...

jungles are beautiful, there are some absolute stunners being bred these days,...

Hit up sherocker. Shes normally got some. I am fussy I choose carefully cos your stuck with it for atleast 6 months.

Have to go childrens simply because they are so easy to look after and even if they are bitey they can't hurt an adult unless they somehow launch themselves down your throat and get stuck half way.
Interestingly I bought a book on snake health on the weekend that talked about deciding on what type of snake a new keeper should get and recommended that colours and patterning should be the least important factor in your decison on which snake to get until you get some experience.

i didnt get a jungle python because i heard they were really snappy. so i got a bredli instead, who i adore, but he is REALLY REALLY snappy!!! he bites every time i handle him, but calms down after about a minute and is fine, but always curls himself up and sits and stares at me and i get a bit nervous haha
looking back i wish i had have gotten a jungle python!

how big do the atherton jungles get?
i dont really want to get a snake that is going to be over 1.5m's
as a first time snake.

and how do i search for people on this site?

athertons get up to 8 foot (i believe thats a max, so probably a bit smaller), but 8 foot of placid python is far easier to deal with than 5 foot of grumpy,......

look in the for sale section, or PM Colin (one of the mods) might still have some crackers left,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back