Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Finally convinced my parents to buy me a pet snake :D!! So what does every recommend as a starter species? Preferably something small.

Thanks,
James

Grab a book like Mike Swan's: Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons. Seee what appeals to you and research it thoroughly to see what it will need as it grows. With a few exceptions most pythons make great starter snakes if you get a little one as your skills and confidence grow with the snake but you need to know you will have the room etc to meet your grown snakes needs.

You could start with something small like anteresias or go a coastal. But just get the snake you would like and you have room for

Some good starting snakes are: Children pythons, stimpson pythons and spotted pythons. They don't grow to big but still big enough to be a good companion. Do a hell of a lot of research before purchasing a snake. I think I did about 1-2 hrs a day for 2-3 weeks before I got my spotted python. This website will help you a lot. There are a lot of experienced snake keepers on here that give good advice so always ask if in doubt no matter how stupid the question is.

Stimsons (no 'p') are pretty, Maculosa are bullet proof to my way of thinking, but a hatchling Coastal or Bredli would make awesome starters too. I wouldn't necessarily look at starting with a Diamond or a Scrubby, and Roughies can be fussy feeders and I would add them to the 'Probably Not A First' list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back