Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gizo_1

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a snake

I have never owned a reptile before and would like a bit of advise,

I want something that is easy to care for, and small (I know you can not keep corn snakes here but that size would be good)
I like the green tree snake but after doing a bit of research they might not be the best choice.

any help and advise appreciated, there is a snake breeder close to me so I will probably arrange to go and meet them and get some advise

Tim

Hi, welcome to the site! You don't tell us which state you are in, and that will be a factor. Some states have VERY restricted lists.

As for small - there are several small (1-1.5 meter) snakes that are often recommended as first snakes :) Children's Pythons, Stimson's Pythons, and Spotted/Maccies to name the 3 most common. My first snakes were a pair of maccies and they were awesome. Tiny little shoelace sized babies which grew slowly enough for me to get use to them.

If you want something small, lets say under 1.5m, your options are Spotted, Childrens, Stimsons and Woma Pythons.
If you really want a Green Tree Snake, I think you could go for it if you do plenty of research and speak with some keepers of them.

I went through quite an ordeal trying to get two of my first pythons to feed. Advice from a few people on this website (Jungle_Freak, Colin and everyone else) REALLY helped me, but one of the snakes was a bit too difficult and went back to the breeder.

I would hate to be a newb trying to get a tree snake to start feeding, as I've read it can be quite difficult. I'm not saying it would be impossible, and snakeluvver is probably right in saying as long as you do enough research it could be OK, but I'd start out with a regular snake if it were me.

is there any tendancy for either male or female to be more aggressive?

Do the bites hurt?

Last edited:
Nah, pick a snake you like the look of, and then hunt for a quiet individual.

I've never been bitten by a large snake, but hatchlings don't hurt at all. It's pretty funny when they bite you.

Baby snake bites are funny, more of a shock then anything, id say go with a stimsons, they are my favourite "small" snakes :)

Hi and welcome nws licence system is more complicated than some states but if you want something small yeah the stimpson or chirldreni family might be the best to get so good to do some research apply for a reptile licence wait 2 or 3 weeks and while you are waiting do some more research set up a tub for the snake then when you get your licence your already and if you get stuck just ask someone will always help you out

Do the bites hurt?

Ever pricked your finger on a rose thorn? A really tiny rose thorn? That hurts more than a bite from a hatchy, it is more the shock of the sudden movement and the smack as it hits you - don't pull away if you possibly can stop yourself, as you can really hurt the snake.

is there any tendancy for either male or female to be more aggressive?

Do the bites hurt?
only a slight sting and thats from a 3m coastal

Nah, pick a snake you like the look of, and then hunt for a quiet individual.

I've never been bitten by a large snake, but hatchlings don't hurt at all. It's pretty funny when they bite you.

i have, lots of blood but not very painfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back