Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travntor

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am new to the forum and new to snakes.
I have just got my standard rwl and am looking at getting my first snake. My wife has had some experience with snakes as she worked for WIRES in Sydney before moving to Queensland. I also have a 5 year old son who loves snakes.
I am not sure what species to get for our first snake. I was looking at a children's python but have been told of others such as the womma and Stimson. I would like a pretty snake around the one to one and a half meter size however temperament is the main thing here having a sin who will want to handle the snake.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I would highly recommend a Spotted Python, they have awesome temperaments and are quite easy to look after.

They also only grow to be about 1.2 metres and you can find some truly amazing markings and patterns on them.

I own one at the moment and it is the most docile snake ive eve owned.

Problem with womas is they grow really fast since they are pigs, childreni or stimsoni would be perfect for a five yr old to grow with

Woma is my first and he's been the best :) as a male I think he'll only get to about 1.5m. He's 8 months old now and approx 70cm long.

I don't know why people always jump straight to spotted python. Mine was the most aggressive snake and hardest to feed out of anything I have owned. Get a woma and be happy :).

I would be comfortable letting my Steve be around any child (under supervision of course) especially because I've dropped him, accidentally bumped him on the nose several times and he's never shown any aggression. He can be out of his cage for hours at a time with no worry. In saying that, every snake has it's own personality IMO and I'm sure there are crazy womas out there...

I too am looking for my first snake. I have done a little research on morphs and localities of the Antaresia varieties and I love the looks of the wheatbelt stimsons or the patternless children's pythons. I've heard they're ideal first snakes along with the Woma. My only problem is, this time of year (and you may be finding the same thing) i'm struggling to find breeders with many snakes available. Does anyone have any ideas for a fellow newbie?

. My only problem is, this time of year (and you may be finding the same thing) i'm struggling to find breeders with many snakes available. Does anyone have any ideas for a fellow newbie?

Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply Lawra, I am from Tullamarine, Melbourne

Aw bummer. Not sure if the guy I got mine from freights, but he has a fair few hatchies left of most breeds.

Edit: you're welcome :)

I am looking for my first snake too. Im going to camos reptiles soon in sydney for the reptile course so I can figure out what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back