Flat Pack Enclosures - what would you expect to pay for one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

=bECS=

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Im after some opinions.
Would you as herp keepers be interested in flat pack enclosures? For eg: everything is cut to size, it all snaps and screws together easily (screws included) glass included and tracks pre routed, vents cut into timber or melamine.
Just an enclosure, no wiring.

How much would you expect to pay for say a 3x2x2 melamine flat pack? or other sizes?
What about other timbers, what would people be interested in having an enclosure made from? Any inserts, shelves etc?

Kind of like an ikea for enclosures ;)

Give me your opinions, what would you want, and what would you pay for it??

i would like a 3x2x3 foot one and ill like to pay around 100-200
made out of melimine
if any one knows where you can get them im up for 2 :)

Hey all,
Im after some opinions.
Would you as herp keepers be interested in flat pack enclosures? For eg: everything is cut to size, it all snaps and screws together easily (screws included) glass included and tracks pre routed, vents cut into timber or melamine.
Just an enclosure, no wiring.

How much would you expect to pay for say a 3x2x2 melamine flat pack? or other sizes?
What about other timbers, what would people be interested in having an enclosure made from? Any inserts, shelves etc?

Kind of like an ikea for enclosures ;)

Give me your opinions, what would you want, and what would you pay for it??

who wants more ikea?get real

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh i knew someone would of had the same idea as me :)

i would like a 3x2x3 foot one and ill like to pay around 100-200
made out of melimine
if any one knows where you can get them im up for 2 :)
id like to pay $100 for an enclosure with a glass front 2 but i don't think happen anytime soon gotta think of material costs :)

ReptilesInc in Canberra already sell flatpack enclosures now, they had a massive order and had them made up..
Many different sizes but they have a 4lx2hx55d
snaps in to a box when done easy to make assemble.. I think they were $280 and then then they get cheaper the smaller they get...

We have the machinery, it cuts, drills, does the routing, does everything really, all off of an autocad design. We were more looking at making cupboards, tv cabinets, bed etc, but i was thinking about doing enclosures too since i remember how much of a pain it always was making or buying one. We are thinking about it, but only if the demand would be there, which is why I am asking if it is something people would want, you know...... consumer research.
It would have twist locks like ikea stuff does, hence the reference.
Haven't made any prototypes yet, was just an idea i had tonight while discussing the designs of other stuff we are making.

If you look up reptilesaspets2010 on eBay they have some flat pack enclosures for sale if you want to get an idea for prices.

Thats what i was thinking, custom enclosures, gotta put the factory to use lol. I would have to find wholesalers for the materials, because not everyone wants melamine for their enclosure. Like i said, just researching, but i might make a design and get it made up then add pics to see what people think of them before i start calling around for prices on bulk materials.

We can make them from wood but I dont think they would be as cheap as people want them, depending on what wood. The machine can cut wood, it can etch designs into it too.

hubby and i found the flat pack we bought to be a right royal pain to put together, plus halfway thru it we had to undo everything we had done and request extra screws, locks and the dowling bits because there was not enough in there to finish the job

it was a pain trying to get everything to 'slip' into place and many times almost gave up, guess it didnt help neither of us are exactly in any position to be doing it

eventually got it all together and cricket likes it so thats all that matters

we bought ours from a shop in Adelaide when we went there for a dr's visit, it just fitted in the back of the wagon for the drive home

DSCF0002-11-1.jpg

Also remembering that there is postage costs in there,and for something heavy like that the postage can be pricey.

We have the machinery, it cuts, drills, does the routing, does everything really, all off of an autocad design. We were more looking at making cupboards, tv cabinets, bed etc, but i was thinking about doing enclosures too since i remember how much of a pain it always was making or buying one. We are thinking about it, but only if the demand would be there, which is why I am asking if it is something people would want, you know...... consumer research.
It would have twist locks like ikea stuff does, hence the reference.
Haven't made any prototypes yet, was just an idea i had tonight while discussing the designs of other stuff we are making.

With that kind of equipment and flat packing, you'd be better making racks than enclosures. Easier as a flat pack kit than a whole enclosure.

I was just talking bout that, and also packaging the glass. We would probably only post the melamine ones, possibly use perspex instead of glass so it doesn't break in transit. Wooden ones or other heavy materials would have to be pick up I guess, we are in Sydney, unless someone wants it so bad they are willing to pay the high postage costs associated.
Does anyone know if the reptile shop is still at Narellan? Might go speak to pet shops to see if they would be interested.

Racks..... Didn't think of those, would still be bulky postage with tubs though wouldn't it? Hmmmm, we could maybe do large racks with perspex sliding doors. I am wondering how many would sell though, if it would be constant or not.

Last edited:
The factory is in Ingleburn, the machinery is probably like what you use. It can cut a whole kitchen, with all holes drilled including hinges and then its assembled by us, all in an hour.

Last edited:
I bought my flat pack enclosure (3ft) from reptilesaspets on ebay I think it was called, they sent (posted) everything that was in the description including the glass and postage was $30 to my front door so I was happy with that. I would pay depending on size anywhere from $90- $200.

on the right hand side of the home page here is a list of sponsors maybe some of them might sell something you might be interested in?

just keep in mind that the major melamine enclosure dealer is around that region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back