Flat Pack Enclosures - what would you expect to pay for one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look up reptilesaspets2010 on eBay they have some flat pack enclosures for sale if you want to get an idea for prices.

i know of someone on the gold coast that does them not really happy with his service tho kinda good price and he ships anywhere in aus thats where i got my flat pack from but got my new setup going now he does it with glass not perspex hes also working on uprights at the moment must be same guy takes weeks to get back to you on facebook even if you ring him he doesn't get back to you lol

I would be interested in racks if built around certain size tubs.People could buy the tubs themselves to fit the racks if you told them the specific tub there built around.

Sounds like a good idea. Putting the glass between the major wood panels in the pack should protect them for transport (and insurance on transportation/post/courier) :D

Before you start talking too much about selling anything here on APS it might be an idea to subscribe to the site (you will have to to advertise) otherwise you risk a butt kicking from the mods ;)

Good luck with your venture, sounds awsome

Edit: If you assemble the enclosure, then disassemble into flat pack (so it is SURE to fit together) rather than supply the bits and hope it fits perfectly at the final destination would be good. I have had trouble with flat pack furniture being just a bees ball out and having to be adjusted for final fit, A bit off putting.

Last edited:
id be keen for something like this.. especailly if you could make an 8ft stackable one :p

Not talking about actually selling anything as yet, Ive been around long enough and had my fair share of infractions to know you need to sub to sell ;)
Still in the planning stage and trying to see what people would actually want to buy. We have have other plans and things to get designed yet as well.
I like the rack idea, maybe built around the tubs from bunnings like we used to use for our rat racks. What kind of tubs are people using in racks atm?

We are going to design something and get a prototype made up for us to test ourselves before we go any further.... I need a new Spencer enclosure, so it works out well lol ;)

hubby and i found the flat pack we bought to be a right royal pain to put together, plus halfway thru it we had to undo everything we had done and request extra screws, locks and the dowling bits because there was not enough in there to finish the job

it was a pain trying to get everything to 'slip' into place and many times almost gave up, guess it didnt help neither of us are exactly in any position to be doing it

eventually got it all together and cricket likes it so thats all that matters

we bought ours from a shop in Adelaide when we went there for a dr's visit, it just fitted in the back of the wagon for the drive home

DSCF0002-11-1.jpg

Looks like a tough job being a cat a jeannines place :lol: Would be a shame to waste the heat:)

Becs, just so you don't think I'm stealing your idea (great minds think alike :D) my brother in law and I are currently in negotiation with some large manufacturers.
We have the exact same goal of providing flat pack enclosures and racks (in various sizes) which fit tubs readily available in Australia and at a low cost to the purchaser.
Because they will be flat packed, they can be shipped anywhere within Australia.
We will be using either water resistant MDF or chipboard, all pre drilled countersunk with dowels pre drilled for perfect allignment of pannels.

Khagan, they will be available in black too;)

Just thought I'd mention these are on the horizon so you are not surprised if you see these available soon.

To give you an idea, this is what ours will look like.

Edit: These are not currently available and details on price not finalised. Depending on the outcome of negotiations, enclosures will be advertised as per the site rules.

Attachments

• 2011-11-28 17.31.27.jpg
    2011-11-28 17.31.27.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I HATE flatpacks with a vengeance. So I bought 11 3 foot melamine enclosures that were already set up and am glad I did.

I bought a flat pack enclosure from kellyville pets when i first started out and would NEVER get another one. I got the biggest one they had 1200L x 600w x1500h for $1000, and it's the biggest piece of crap...not only was it 'fun' putting it together, the 'fixed' glass in the sides fell out when the enclosure was moved, the trim around the glass fell out and I lost one, the vents and plug hole covers were really cheap plastic and broke and the lock on the sliding doors came off every couple of months.

captain there is often a bit of pushing and shoving to see who gets the best position for the heat, with the prices im glad its not being wasted :lol:

if electricity gets any dearer ill be snuggling up on there at night myself to keep warm
:lol:

I haven't read all the replies but a member here - Dickyknee - builds enclosures. He does a great job, too,

Yeah Fay, I appreciate flat packs are not for everyone.
I'd deliver and put it together just for you though :)

Personally I dont have a problem with them at all.

When I say flat pack, I mean all pannels have dowel offset to ensure correct assembly and pre drilled holes for screws so people would still need a screwdriver to put it all together.

As for quality, obviously there is a point to ballance quality and cost.
The product needs to represent good value for money and also has to be built to do the job it is purchased for.

Where that balance is, is different for each individual.

Someone will be happy to pay $200 for a 20 tub hatchy rack that last 5 years and the next person would be happy to pay $500 for 20 years.
These days though, people want to pay $50 and have it last 30 years :D

I was just talking bout that, and also packaging the glass. We would probably only post the melamine ones, possibly use perspex instead of glass so it doesn't break in transit. Wooden ones or other heavy materials would have to be pick up I guess, we are in Sydney, unless someone wants it so bad they are willing to pay the high postage costs associated.
Does anyone know if the reptile shop is still at Narellan? Might go speak to pet shops to see if they would be interested.

Racks..... Didn't think of those, would still be bulky postage with tubs though wouldn't it? Hmmmm, we could maybe do large racks with perspex sliding doors. I am wondering how many would sell though, if it would be constant or not.

I think you will find perspex costs a lot more then glass to buy.
Also having used it a lot with aquariums i wouldn't buy an enclosure with perspex as it scratches very easily and something like a beardy will maul it in no time.

I think you will find perspex costs a lot more then glass to buy.
Also having used it a lot with aquariums i wouldn't buy an enclosure with perspex as it scratches very easily and something like a beardy will maul it in no time.

yep my first build was perspex and barry and delilah DESTROYED it. lol

To be honest I think the main consumer would be newbies rather than people who have been in the hobby for X amount of years.
Especially with places like bunnings who cut your wood to any size you desire so when you get it home it's just 5 pieces of timber that need to be screwed together.
I also wouldn't risk buying something that contained substantial size pieces of glass if it needed to be posted, I don't want to have to jump through hoops to have it replaced or refunded if it did break.

To me it seems like more trouble than it's worth to be honest. Especially when you can buy all of the materials from as little as 2 outlets and have it ready and working within an afternoon, compare that to payment clearing times and shipping times and I think local is the clear winner.

Not trying to put a damper on your idea but just giving my honest opinion.

You could join the sides with piano hinges so that it isn't just flat packed, but already assembled. You have little dowel thingies that stick into holes on the top side, and the roof, so all the buyer will have to do is unfold it all, slip the roof into the dowel, into place, and a bolt at each end to secure it.

Opinions are welcome tumbleweed :)
I built enclosures for a month or two last year after having some spare material from one of my own builds.
I actually sold quite a few and even had a customer drive all the way from Orange NSW to Sydney to pick three up.
I put it down to not everyone has the skills, tools, time or space to put things together.
Bunnings also doesn't have the material in black.

Good idea mysnakesau, I;ll have to think that through.

My main reason for posting was more of a courtesy to becs.
At this stage I have no idea even if I will end up having some small quantities manufactured and even if it is more cost effective than my DIY jobs.

Most manufacture companies have minimum order quantities and I don't have 10s of thousands spare:(
If I can order small quantities of various size enclosures and racks though, it may be a different story.

If no one wants them it's a good excuse to expand my collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back