for all the eggheads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbellybite

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
why is it that everytime someone starts a thread on here you get the eggheads that are not really into what you are saying but rather comment on how you have either spelt the words or used grammer.who gives a ......i am not posting a thread for a egghead to spell check 99%of people that do a post on a thread are commenting on how they view it not how its written for all you 1% get a life either comment about the post or if you want to do spell and grammer check GO BACK AND PLAY SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!

I would have to agree i can't spell for **** (that's what spell check is for) i put a post on here from a wile back and the first few replies are about how things where spelt [deleted] that pissed me off any who that's all i got to say

And now to run spell check LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
thats it Lewy, I cant understand why people feel its their duty to inform you or make light of it , unless you asked "HOW TO SPELL" they should shut it.....

I can spell most of the time, depends how late it is, but i dont whinge about everyone elses spelling. Its still understandable so who cares. I get the message, im sure they do too.....Perhaps they dont know what else to write, or no point to add to the discussion?

I never say anything about it in peoples threads, but it really irritates me to read through posts written with terrible spelling and grammar. And people that use txt language make me wish I'd never opened the thread at all. It's just painful.

well glider you have a point , but if you can see that overall they are trying to get a thread out who cares how they have spelt it or the grammer used

Sometimes I look at a thread that someone has started which is riddled with spelling shortcuts and is obvious the person didnt even read through what they've written before they pressed 'Post', I think to myself 'Well if you're going to put in 0% effort to ask a question or make a comment, I'm going to make 0% effort to respond to you."

Communication is a two-way street. I believe that if you want people to communicate with you, you should be willing to make your communication clear and easily understood.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about people who have a couple of letters around the wrong way, forget a full stop or miss-spell a complicated latin name. I'm talking about people who post brain farts.

some of our younger members are not good spellers so does this mean they cant ask questions?

ahhhhhh yes i have seen alot of this

i cant spell well at all does that mean im a substandard human lol i dont think so so yes i agree if your so anal about spelling do you really have to make such a fuss about it and openly put people down??

Sometimes I look at a thread that someone has started which is riddled with spelling shortcuts and is obvious the person didnt even read through what they've written before they pressed 'Post', I think to myself 'Well if you're going to put in 0% effort to ask a question or make a comment, I'm going to make 0% effort to respond to you."

Communication is a two-way street. I believe that if you want people to communicate with you, you should be willing to make your communication clear and easily understood.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about people who have a couple of letters around the wrong way, forget a full stop or miss-spell a complicated latin name. I'm talking about people who post brain farts.

Well said Glider. There is nothing worse than reading a lengthy post and finding out at the end that you have no idea what the person is on about. I do however agree that the spelling Police can be a bit over the top.

Personally - i think people should be open to constructive criticism. But on the same, the content is sometimes more important than the readability of the subject.

However, just to contradict a little - the content should be readable to encourage interest of the readers.

It's clear when it's a typo verses blatant bad spelling. But it's never clear if the writer suffers from any reading/writing inflictions.

I - as one member likes to point out - apparently pick on people. They believe it's for attention seeking. Personally, I'm with Glider, it's terrible to see what's happening to out language and our skills.

Literacy and numeracy are the back bones of our modern day society. And it should start from a very young age. And we should only encourage.

Now moosenoose - pick holes in that one aye :p

Another good tool to help you all - download Firefox and install the Australian Dictionary. It can actually spell check while you type. It's very handy and you might notice an improvement in your spelling and maybe even your grammar (though the latter is less likely as it only checks spelling).

Just as an example, there's two sentences above my post (above) - not going to mention names. Both sentences are about the same in length. One of those sentences took me almost two times as long to read as the other.

But, on saying that both made clear enough sense in the end. Just ease and readability the main difference.

Slim6y there was a typo there!! :D

I agree with Glider. Something that really gets to me is when people post with mostly correct spelling, so they obviously learnt to spell, but with no punctuation. Did they fall asleep during that part of the class? I find sentences without commas etc. really difficult to read, and I'm sure the poster must actually know how to use them (they just don't bother).

Yes, it's about being courteous and using the communication skills you have to best correspond with others.

Im not one of the ones who really care, but i try to spell properly rather than being lazy.

I just thought i would add, firefox has an automatic spell check so if you are having trouble with spelling, try downloading that!

hmm some i would say are more ignorant...than critical
i dont mind being critesised if the critesiser...can do the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back