for all the eggheads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I just miss it because I usually don't read the whole post, let alone the responses?
No Sdaji, this thread was set up as a subtle dig against me because I chipped a member about making emotive comments on a highly charged issue (paedophilia) and was blasted by the Chit-Chat mafia for doing so.

That thread was deleted.

I initially suggested that the utter lack of spelling/punctuation/context in that situation may have been contributing to the problem, (given excessive media coverage, and the legal outcome), but I was yelled down.

"how dare you..." "you are so un Australian!!" etc etc etc. It was like a One Nation rally.

There's your background on it.

How do you buy flaming threads?

Its not so much a buy process....more of a passing on of the holy flame.............

5822013558.gif

Quite frankly I won't read a whole paragraf of poor writting or something wifout proper pronuntiation because I find it 2 hard to think about weather their wos a stop in the paragraf that made a diffarance in wot was being said or if they meant something else so with that in mind I’d sooner not have to read it -so there. Sometimes I try and reed the writing but it gets too confusment and my head starts to hurt becuase I personly try to take a bit more time in writing something that doesn’t look like my 3yr has attempted to rite it and think its just plainly being considerate to others but if you don’t feel like that’s the case that’s ur kitten and you cant blame others who have to reed though an entire dribbling page of badly ritten non punuciated wording to find out what wos trying to be said Do you also no how hard it wos for me to rite this friggin paragraph cos now I reely doo have a maasive hedache!!! get Mozilla firefox, use fullstops and even though it might not be technically right, break up the righting for the love of MARY!!!

Very funny moosenoose!
But when you use your fullstops.....remember.....you don't need to.....use dozens of them.....just one......at a time....please!

I think you'll find that "texted" isn't a proper word because "text" is not a verb. The word 'text' is a noun, so it doesn't really have a past tense version. What is the past tense of car, wood, dirt, snake, etc? Because of the colloquial use, text will no doubt become recognised as a verb in the near future.

I'm pretty sure I qualify as a spelling and grammar Nazi, however even I accept that once something is in common usage for long enough, it becomes a valid, recognised word. 'Text' as a verb is in such common usage, that it is inevitable it will be recognised by dictionaries (which invariably lag a few years behind common usage) before too long.

It appears that the Collins Essential English Dictionary has already recognised it! (Source, www.thefreedictionary.com)

text
Noun
1. the main body of a printed or written work as distinct from items such as notes or illustrations
2. any written material, such as words displayed on a visual display unit
3. the written version of the words of a speech, broadcast or recording: an advance text of the remarks the president will deliver tonight
4. a short passage of the Bible used as a starting point for a sermon
5. a book required as part of a course of study: shelves full of sociology texts
Verb
1. to send (a text message) by mobile phone
2. to contact (a person) by means of a text message [Latin texere to compose]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

Instead of whinging about how people always correct your grammer, why not actually pay attention to what you type and make it easier for everyone to read and understand??

Because it's easier to not whine than to go study the english language and get it right 100% of the time.

We're only human, not perfect at everything we do, some excel in certain areas where others don't. You don't know everyones circumstances and why they can/can't read or write.

If they TRY than that is just about good enough for me. However if I see a post with 10+ lines with no comma's, or periods than I'll just skip it.

The nazi's who say stuff like "It's you're, not your" and it's "Labor not Labour" are way too anal.

I'm pretty sure I qualify as a spelling and grammar Nazi, however even I accept that once something is in common usage for long enough, it becomes a valid, recognised word. 'Text' as a verb is in such common usage, that it is inevitable it will be recognised by dictionaries (which invariably lag a few years behind common usage) before too long.

It appears that the Collins Essential English Dictionary has already recognised it! (Source, www.thefreedictionary.com)

text
Noun
1. the main body of a printed or written work as distinct from items such as notes or illustrations
2. any written material, such as words displayed on a visual display unit
3. the written version of the words of a speech, broadcast or recording: an advance text of the remarks the president will deliver tonight
4. a short passage of the Bible used as a starting point for a sermon
5. a book required as part of a course of study: shelves full of sociology texts
Verb
1. to send (a text message) by mobile phone
2. to contact (a person) by means of a text message [Latin texere to compose]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

Well, there you go! I knew it was inevitable, but it seems it has already happened! The person who was complaining has been vindicated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back