for all the eggheads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the only ignorance I see is the fact that those using correct grammar and English are the ones being labelled as ignorant...

:lol::lol::lol: So very true!

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little punctuation either.... It adds expression!

Der!

(lol) :lol:

I have a pretty low tolerance for some of these things. SMS-talk on the internet bugs me, for example.

The thing which bugs me the most, however, is when people make long posts with ZERO punctuation. I can't read it. I used to try, but now I don't even bother. It's far too much effort.

Don't get me wrong, I know my grammar/spelling isn't perfect, but there's a point where posts just become too painful to read.

Can I ask - for correctness sake... What is the past tense of sending a text message?

Is it texted?

Because no spell check ever allows texted....!

So is there a formal past tense for sending a text message?

If I was to use it in a sentence I'd say:

I texted you yesterday, why didn't you reply?

I know correct and grammatically speaking you'd say:

I sent you a text yesterday, why didn't you reply?

But modernisation of our language does need to include things like this...

Do you think?

Im in the 'if theyve tried their best to write, I answer' brigade.
But, I cant think of a time when Ive critisized someone for their poo spelling and grammar...after all its their poo. I thought I had reasonable grammar until Uni essays, I always lost 10-20% of my mark for poo grammar.

tequila.gif

It's more a matter of context - if you are, say, typing a matter of importance, I'd think that structuring what you have to say is crucial.

If you're intent on bashing people about the eyes with emotive sentences/ill-informed arguments that end up looking like the proverbial train-crash.... you may be a target.

Hope that helps!
:D

What is the past tense of sending a text message?

Tex't or Text' perhaps?

LOL

I also hate poor spelling and punctuation, more than bad grammar. In the past I'd just ignore badly written posts, but as a Mod I have to read them all. And - as some have already mentioned - some posts can be very painful.

What does really bug me is the fact that people continue to type the 'S' word with symbols and asterisks, and then get upset when I infract them for swearing. Not quite the same as poor spelling, but just something I wanted to get off my chest.

:p

Hix

Last time i commented on spelling and grammar i was accused of hating a members dyslexic daughter - whom i didn't even know existed (nor had i mentioned dyslexia). So now if a post is really poorly spelt or constructed, i ignore it, and i urge other members to do the same. If the 'pinheads' couldn't be bothered, why should i?
I will admit to spelling and grammar mistakes, but at least i make some sort of an effort

Last time i commented on spelling and grammar i was accused of hating a members dyslexic daughter - whom i didn't even know existed (nor had i mentioned dyslexia). So now if a post is really poorly spelt or constructed, i ignore it, and i urge other members to do the same. If the 'pinheads' couldn't be bothered, why should i?
I will admit to spelling and grammar mistakes, but at least i make some sort of an effort

Jen, please, its "eggheads", not pinheads.

um, yeah, thats my point, i was saying if the bad spellers - pinheads - couldn't be bothered, why should I - as a self confessed egghead - be bothered to read crappy posts?

I got this email sent to me ages ago...

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I like correct spelling and grammer, but this shows (if you can read it) that it's not the be all and end all of a post!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I like correct spelling and grammer, but this shows (if you can read it) that it's not the be all and end all of a post!

I'm sorry but I can't read that crap :p (or half the poor English rubbish posted on this site!!) Personally I think APS should hold a spelling -bee to ultimately determine who comes and who goes :p .......hehehe

ps: it isnt' the The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it's just proving how stupid we all are ;)

Oh, I thought I was quite clever because I could read it......oh well.....:?

I don't know why people have to tell people how to spell things. They can spell how they wan't and put comma's where they wan't. It's not like its a crime or anything.

The first to lines I could read, the last few, stuff it.

Sorry then, I'm an egghead... I really hate poor (i.e. lazy) spelling and grammar (although typos and obvious simple errors are excused on a forum such as this). I also can't stand huge blocks of text that aren't broken up into paragraphs as they are impossible to read.

For all those suggesting that spelling isn't important, I know plenty of employers who simply discard a CV if it is full of spelling mistakes, so it may be more important than you think!

yes yes yes .........now that you all have vented your points of view,some i can see why this matter would affect you if the thread was totally unreadable, and it looked like it had been written by a drunk fair enough, but what happens if it was written by a child or a adult with a disorder that generally needs help couldnt you just squeeze your stress ball and try and answer their questions without having a dig at how they wrote or spelt the thread? thats my point about the thread....thanks to all eggheads and pinheads who bothered to answer we are all dslexic(how ever you spell it) at something thats what makes US all unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back